Anyone move from Acura RDX to CX-5?

nixit71

I'm currently driving a 2007 Acura RDX w/ Tech w/ 70K miles and considering trading it in for a CX-5 GT in the near future (either 2.0 or 2.5). Acura quality and dealer experience has been great, but I'm tired of the poor mileage (20mpg in mixed driving for a turbo-4) and spending $40K on a new RDX is not something I want to do. The MDX would be nice, but I'm not in need of the extra space right now and it does not solve my mpg issue (and I'd only be willing to spend the extra $$ if I came across a GREAT deal).

Has anyone moved from the RDX (or other "luxury" equivalents such as RX, X3, Q5) to the CX-5? If so, any observations?

I owned a 2006 Mercedes ML350 SUV for a couple of years. The ML was very quick, gas mileage was consistently 17-20 mpg w/premium. Quality was well below average for the ML, I made sure to get rid of it before the Mercedes warranty expired. I was not using the extra space so I don't miss it. The only thing I do miss was the extra 100+hp.

I still own 2 premium sport sedans and the CX-5 (GT w/Tech pkg.) compares quite nicely even though it has a much lower MSRP.

Can't argue about Acura/Honda quality (I've owned several over the years) but looked at the new RDX and IMHO you won't get the same "numbed down" driving experience from the CX-5. The big V-6 is nice but as you mentioned, you will pay the price with poor gas mileage. Wait for a test drive in the 2.5L. That may help you decide.

Also, I don't know how many Mazda dealers there are in your area, but like most, some are better than others. If you do have a choice, do your research and pick the one where you feel you will get the same level of service as Acura.

I previously drove an Acura MDX which was a great car and the dealership gave me a Acrua RDX for a weekend while they were working on my car and I fell in love with the car. I liked the size, the features, the interior and the power and thought about that being my next car BUT I did not like the gas mileage or the price. I researched my replacement for quite a while until I decided on the Mazda CX 5 and have not regretted it once!

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was looking between the same 2 cars.

Granted, everyone here is a mazda fan.

I'm debating between a '14 CX-5 GT with tech vs a 2013 RDX demo/loaner with 4k miles. I still need to arrange financing, looking at penfed or my local CU (1.99 to 2.24%). Would get the gap coverage from my insurance (All state).

I'm really torn on this...

I grew up in Hondas. Always liked them and the brand. Sis-in-law has the mazda 5(likes it).

Acura - near luxury/luxury, good HP. Maybe? a bit more spacious. I can get it serviced locally (but not warrenty items locally). Closest dealer is like 2 hours away. Wouldn't have tech, etc.

Mazda - it would be cheaper, more economical. Local dealership (albiet it a small one). More tech/safety. Maybe a little smaller. Its got a stiff ride (from what I remember). Its not a bad ride, but rides like my current GLI (wife's car).

Thoughts?

We have been a Honda and Acura family for more years than I care to admit, and still own Acura. Looked at the new RDX and would have loved to have gotten an AWD Tech Package but could not rationalize over $10K price difference when compared to the CX-5 GT Tech. Plus we got some interesting things that Acura simply did not offer, such as BSM and SCBS and the rain sensing wipers...When compared to my Acura I see how far ahead Acura was in 2006 with the tech, it still does some things better than the CX-5. The nav is better, the voice recognition is better, the auto lock unlock, the millimeter microwave radar for cruise and collision avoidance, better TPMS, I get a readout on each tire, better MID based on inputs from the engine computer, not just counting down miles and time, etc, etc, but the point is that the RDX does not have all these features, but only a subset. The CX-5 offers a great value, and drives better. CX-5 has an adequate, and more efficient engine, better steering, better transmission. The RDX does have better seats, and memory settings.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was looking between the same 2 cars.

Granted, everyone here is a mazda fan.

I'm debating between a '14 CX-5 GT with tech vs a 2013 RDX demo/loaner with 4k miles. I still need to arrange financing, looking at penfed or my local CU (1.99 to 2.24%). Would get the gap coverage from my insurance (All state).

I'm really torn on this...

I grew up in Hondas. Always liked them and the brand. Sis-in-law has the mazda 5(likes it).

Acura - near luxury/luxury, good HP. Maybe? a bit more spacious. I can get it serviced locally (but not warrenty items locally). Closest dealer is like 2 hours away. Wouldn't have tech, etc.

Mazda - it would be cheaper, more economical. Local dealership (albiet it a small one). More tech/safety. Maybe a little smaller. Its got a stiff ride (from what I remember). Its not a bad ride, but rides like my current GLI (wife's car).

Thoughts?

Appreciate the response. Was about to run out to the store earlier this evening when I heard some scratching noise coming from underneath the car. Get out and see the engine undertray doubled over. Had to jack the car up to undo it and then duct tape it to the grill. Car just got back from its 10k oil change (1st service with vw, only a year old).

Made me realize how much of a pain that would be if I went with the acura. Having to drive it or tow it over 100 miles.

It really puts it out there for the Mazda.

I appreciate your response.

I cross shopped both and bought the RDX FWD w/Tech. The dealers were owned by the same people and were next to each other.

The price difference was about 6k between RDX FWD w/Tech and the GT AWD tech.
RDX felt like it was better built and MUCH quieter. I did not like the navi on the CX-5 (RDX navi is much more responsive) but did like how it drove. The RDX felt bigger inside as well.

As for MPG it's not bad. I'm averaging nearly 26mpg (65% hwy or so) on the RDX (has less than 2000 miles). Yes the CX5 would probably net me close to 30mpg but the wife and I liked the quality of the RDX over the CX-5. The RDX definitely has way more getup and go.

Driving the CX-5 felt more like a car, but it's still no car. The RDX is more disconnected but not bad. We don't plan to race the CUV so as long as it's not terrible we don't care. I drove a Hyundai Santa Fe as well and even on Sport mode that car had a HUGE center dead spot and the feedback was SOOO artificial.

Nothing against Mazda, I have owned a 3rd gen RX7 and we currently have a 06 Mazda3 we bought new.

Well, after a "fun" day dealing our current jetta (its cursed)...

Made me think that it would be better to have a dealership closer to home. Acura is just too far (although nicer).

But I think its time to decide on the cx-6

I really enjoyed reading all the previous posts for this thread. As the former and current owner of several Acuras (2003 MDX, 2005 TL, 2010 MDX Advance) and several Honda Accords, and as the current owner of a brand new 2014 Mazda GT CX-5 AWD, I found the comments fair and accurate.

My wife owns a 2010 MDX Advance and it is a great vehicle. It is 100% reliable and has outstanding performance and features. The only two things we don’t like about it is its mediocre gas mileage (18.3 MPG average) and the fact that it requires premium gas. (One might get by ok with a mid-grade gasoline, but I won’t take that chance for a few pennies).

As a largely satisfied MDX owner, I also shopped the 2013/2014 RDX AWD w/tech against the 2014 GT AWD Mazda CX-5. I readily agree the RDX has a vastly superior Nav and sound system, a more powerful and smoother V6, and a very smooth 6-speed auto. And although, in my case, the RDX was about $7K more than the CX-5, price was not the deciding issue. However, I was really taken back for the fact that the Acura designers did not include a blind spot monitoring system, a system similar to the CX-5’s city brake support system (part of CX-5 tech package), or rain sensing wipers even in the top-of-the line AWD tech version of a brand new vehicle (RDX was new for 2013). My 2010 MDX Advance includes a BSMS and an active brake support system; although it does not include rain-sensing wipers (I added the RSW myself). I also sometimes resent the fact that each time I drive an MDX or RDX up to the gas pumps, I have to select the premium grade of gasoline. It is not such a big deal, but it does irritate me a lot. I also liked the way the CX-5 handles (zoom-zoom!) much better than how the RDX handles. The CX-5 is fun to drive; whereas, the RDX, although fully competent, is not especially fun to drive. The fun factor was very important to me and weighed heavily in my purchase decision as I will drive the CX-5 on a daily basis.

Therefore, I special ordered my 2014 GT CX-5 AWD to get the exact configuration I wanted. And although I only have about 1,000 miles on it, I like it a lot. I admit that I am concerned about the shaking hood and vibrating driver’s rear view mirror defects mentioned in several other threads. I have not noticed these defects in my CX-5 yet. However, if I do, I will do my best to get these issues resolved.
BTW, I was treated great by my local Mazda dealer (Mazda of Ridgeland in Ridgeland, MS). The sales manager special ordered my vehicle for me and gave me a great price. He also treated me in an outstanding fashion on my trade. However, to be fair I should state that our local Acura also treats me very well every time I bring our 2010 MDX in for service.

I'm currently driving a 2007 Acura RDX w/ Tech w/ 70K miles and considering trading it in for a CX-5 GT in the near future (either 2.0 or 2.5). Acura quality and dealer experience has been great, but I'm tired of the poor mileage (20mpg in mixed driving for a turbo-4) and spending $40K on a new RDX is not something I want to do. The MDX would be nice, but I'm not in need of the extra space right now and it does not solve my mpg issue (and I'd only be willing to spend the extra $$ if I came across a GREAT deal).

Has anyone moved from the RDX (or other "luxury" equivalents such as RX, X3, Q5) to the CX-5? If so, any observations?

In addition to cross shopping a new RDX, we cross shopped a used 2011 RDX against a new CX-5, and while it had plenty of power, was a little rough for my wife's taste (coming from a V-6 mini van). In the end she really liked little features like the blind spot monitor and the AFS bi xenon headlights. She was sort of familiar with a lot features in our other Acura, and felt as if the Mazda offered a better overall package. Interestingly, she at first really wanted an MDX, but drove one and felt it was too big for her needs. She is happy with the 4 cylinder Mazda, the 2.5 liter. The 2.0 was a little underpowered for her.

The current RDX is well designed and made, and is doing very well in the marketplace. The only negatives are the lack of 40/20/40 rear split seat and that Acura took out the SHAWD.

Try both, and decide your needs. I'd take the regular RDX vs. the CX-5 GT, but obviously CX-5 Touring is a much much value.

The current RDX is well designed and made, and is doing very well in the marketplace. The only negatives are the lack of 40/20/40 rear split seat and that Acura took out the SHAWD.

Try both, and decide your needs. I'd take the regular RDX vs. the CX-5 GT, but obviously CX-5 Touring is a much much value.

No one appreciates the Acura SH-AWD, it is very transparent in use. Only when I tracked my Acura sedan, did I feel the real difference SH-AWD makes, such as in a slalom. It is hard to notice in moderate everyday driving and the benefits of SH-AWD in handling are otherwise highly transparent. Only when you push the car beyond what I would call legal limits, do you feel the SH-AWD rotating the car around (a good thing). SH-AWD will vary torque left and right, front to back so seamlessly that you need the display to understand what it is doing. Coasting down a hill it adds stabilizing torque to both rear wheels, moving through a corner it applies stabilizing torque to the outer rear wheel. I think SH-AWD was too heavy and too expensive for the RDX.

We are so used to setting up mirrors correctly that the lack BSM was not really that much of a inconvenience. I have yet to side swipe a car and I used to drive an Chevy Astro van! I also never had a car with auto wipers so it's no biggie either. I did like the auto turning CX-5 lights.

Also the RDX is ok to use with 87 octane. They "recommend" premium instead of the old "require" and all other Acuras. I have been running 87 and notice no lack of power nor drop in MPG. It's the same engine as the 2012 Accord, same HP, same TQ, same compression.

It was a back and forth for us on the CX-5 vs RDX but it just won out because of the space and quiet ride. The MPG hit was not that big (definitely better than my old twin turbo S4 that I just sold) and they both drove adequately for their main purpose for us.

Sorry to hijack the thread but while on the subject of Acura's and such. My 3 row truck is getting up there in age and probably next year I will be picking up something new on the luxury end.

Do any of you or someone you know own an Infinity JX35 or Mercedes GL350? Love the Mercedes GL but similarly equipped it costs almost $15,000 more than the Infinity. I especially like these two because of the amount of space in the 3rd row as it gets used a lot in my current Mercury Mountaineer. The Infinity gets great gas mileage as does the GL. Just not sure if the extra $10-15K is worth it depending on what options I get (Rear seat Entertainment, panoramic sunroof etc..)

After owning an ML350, I will avoid ML's, R's and GL's in future. CR reliability data pretty much describes why.

My boss used to have an ML. Every other week he had a new ML loaner because something broke on his.

How about a Tuareg, Q7 (TDI?). Pathfinder looks nice too.
CX9 might be coming up on a re-design by the time you buy.

Good to see this thread resurrected...

Recently, my wife received a 2014 RDX loaner whie our 2007 RDX was being serviced. She liked it alot...smoother (V6 instead of turbo 4), not as harsh a ride (less sporty). Needless to say, they knew their target market on the 2013 redesign ;)

While I'm still promoting the CX-5 (the mileage improvement and regular gas would save us $600/yr alone) , it might be a tough sell as this is her primary driver. My guess is she'll not like the nav and not be able to look past it. I will NOT get the new RDX primarily becuase I don't want to spend more money on what is essentially the same car (and paid off) and its appeal for me was in the SH-AWD and sportiness.

But now, the redesigned 2014 MDX is in play also (yeah, I know...$20K more and more CX-9 competitor). It's improved mileage and overall package is nice, but I'd rather get the CX-5, pocket the extra cash and mileage savings for 5 years, then find something else if we need more space in the future.

After owning an ML350, I will avoid ML's, R's and GL's in future. CR reliability data pretty much describes why.

So you're pretty much saying stay away from Mercedes? what about the Infinity JX35?

My boss used to have an ML. Every other week he had a new ML loaner because something broke on his.

How about a Tuareg, Q7 (TDI?). Pathfinder looks nice too.
CX9 might be coming up on a re-design by the time you buy.

Not a big VW fan. Looked at the Q7 but the third row is tiny, unless they make some improvements on that front I probably will not consider it. CX-9 already had their redesign although I like it I'm probably going to opt for a luxury. CX-9 might be getting a skyactiv makeover as well. Wish the Range Rover Evoque had 3 rows.

Back