New Mazda 6 EPA rated

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
Had a family member go look at a 2014 6 in the showroom today and he said it was EPA rated 38 hwy. Pretty good for a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder pulling a 3300 lb sedan around. This engine might do ok in the CX5.

Great rating for highway, not unexpected. Aerodynamics of modern sport sedans are key factor in big highway numbers, and in many cases are more aero than high perf sports cars.

.26 coefficient of drag compared to our .33 is significant difference. Not to mention our 200-400lb weight premium (depending on package).

I saw it. Seemed Normal to me. Just bigger than Mazda 3 right. Nothing unusually long about it to me.

Length is typical for this class of mid-sized front wheel drive sedan (including Fusions, Accords, Camry's), they are all at least 190 inches long. All are longer than compact SUV's like the CX-5, CRV, Escape, Forester.

Have you guys seen the Mazda 6 in person? This thing is loooooooooong

That's what she said (angel) !!

All kidding aside, I think the reason for the appearance is the lower roof line compared to cars such as the accord/camry.

All are longer than compact SUV's like the CX-5, CRV, Escape, Forester.

yep, and you get people that don't understand why people like the compact SUVs when you get so much interior space with a smaller outside footprint.

I love the look of the new 6 (at least in pictures) but didn't want something that large on the outside to get the larger on the inside. Although it might be cool to not need a step stool for washing the roof :)

Trevor
Discount OEM CX5 Accessories

yep, and you get people that don't understand why people like the compact SUVs when you get so much interior space with a smaller outside footprint.

I love the look of the new 6 (at least in pictures) but didn't want something that large on the outside to get the larger on the inside. Although it might be cool to not need a step stool for washing the roof :)

Trevor
Discount OEM CX5 Accessories

Agreed, compact SUVs (mainly because of increased height and resulting chair height seating) do give a lot of room for a smaller footprint than the high volume sedans. Both CX-5 and new 6 have similar widths (and track dimensions), so the main difference is height and overall length.

But the downside is aerodynamics, fuel economy, higher curb weight, slower acceleration, less cornering power, or in other words, no free lunch.

But the downside is aerodynamics, fuel economy, higher curb weight, slower acceleration, less cornering power, or in other words, no free lunch.

Yep, that's the fun with cars, everything is a trade off. Which is where the CX5 stood out to me. It gave up the least possible to gain the most possible.

38mpg hwy is awesome for a sporty mid to full size sedan. Nissan Altima is the only competition mpg wise.

If the diesel were available now it would decimate all others in the segment.

Last edited:
Mazda 6 is tops on gas mileage for non-hybrid 4 bangers in this class.

Ratings (city/highway/combined)

6 26/38/30
Accord 27/36/30
Camry 25/35/28
Fusion 1.6 25/37/29

I think I remember hearing the ratings for the 2.5 are just 1 MPG less than the 2.0 in the city, and the same highway rating, at least on the FWD model. Here's the release link.

Excerpts:

"The EPA-tested numbers reflect minimal sacrifice in efficiency with 25 city/32 highway MPG for front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicles and 24 city/30 highway MPG for AWD vehicles."

Mazda 6 is tops on gas mileage for non-hybrid 4 bangers in this class.

Ratings (city/highway/combined)

6 26/38/30
Accord 27/36/30
Camry 25/35/28
Fusion 1.6 25/37/29

Actually the Altima trumps it... 27/38/31.

Take your pick, a more comfortable ride or a more sporty one.

Either way they both look like great contenders!

Yes, and like the Accord, Altima has CVT, no thanks.

I really like the new Mazda 6. We have had 6 EX Accords in a row and just didn't get excited about the new one - Bought a new CX-5 instead and are extremely pleased with it. If it were another sedan, it would have been the M6. Tried both the new Altima and Accord with the CVT(with an open mind) - NO THANKS!!!

Latest posts

Back