Engine shuts off at the first time starting up at the winter morning.

powerrc

:
CX-5
Hi all ,

Today I found a problem with my cx-5 , when I try to start it up at the morning.
It's on , and then cut off immediately , when I click the startup button.
The outside temputature is about 35 F , not very low.
And the "Check Engine Light" is on.
And then I start up the second time , it's totally working and very fine.The "Check Engine Light" is gone.

I tested a few times , after the first time start up , this problem never comes up again , so far.

Do you also meet this problem?
How should I describe it to the Dealer?

I bought this car July 2012 , and it only runs 3400 miles.
I always added #92 gasoline.

It looks like the quality of Mazda is very bad.(boom06)

There is a thread about people having a similar, if not the same issue. Here...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814499-rare-violent-and-rough-engine-starts

I think I am the only other person that I've seen here who has actually had the car stall upon startup. I wouldn't say mazda quality is bad. It is quite good. But this is an issue. It only happens to me once every few weeks and that includes many cold starts colder than -25C in which it starts fine.

And using 92 octane gas is a total waste of money.

There is a thread about people having a similar, if not the same issue. Here...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814499-rare-violent-and-rough-engine-starts

I think I am the only other person that I've seen here who has actually had the car stall upon startup. I wouldn't say mazda quality is bad. It is quite good. But this is an issue. It only happens to me once every few weeks and that includes many cold starts colder than -25C in which it starts fine.

And using 92 octane gas is a total waste of money.

Thanks.
But I was told by the engineer of Mazda , that using high # gasoline , would have better horsepower.
I am kind of not satisfied with the horsepower, so...

Thanks.
But I was told by the engineer of Mazda , that using high # gasoline , would have better horsepower.
I am kind of not satisfied with the horsepower, so...

Either he lied to you, or he has no idea what he is talking about. Both are equally likely. Higher octane will NOT make your car have more hp.

After the one erratic start-up RPM episode I had months and months ago I was afraid this would start happening but even as temps are about 20 degrees (about -6 or -7C) in the morning the car starts right up and I have not had a erratic RPM since that one episode. I only use Exxon or Shell Regular 87 Octane gas.

Either he lied to you, or he has no idea what he is talking about. Both are equally likely. Higher octane will NOT make your car have more hp.

Don't be so sure about this, if it allows a bit more timing advance that is more optimum, it may produce more power depending on the programming and a lot of other stuff like temp inside engine and out, humidity, load, throttle position, altitude, etc.

Don't be so sure about this, if it allows a bit more timing advance that is more optimum, it may produce more power depending on the programming and a lot of other stuff like temp inside engine and out, humidity, load, throttle position, altitude, etc.

Maybe, but not enough to notice or to be significant (other than placebo effect).

The Euro version of 2.0L with 14:1 CR gets slightly better HP.

Yes you stand a slim chance of gaining a horsepower, and just as much chance at losing a horsepower. Since mazda recommends 87 and it costs $5 more per tank to use 92, it makes the most sense to use 87.

(2cents)I recall a bulletin that came out on the 2000 MPV. It advised against the use of 92 octane when 87 was required. It causes a "hard start" condition. To better understand octane, the higher the fuel octane, the greater the compression needed to ignite the fuel. If your vehicle is designed to use 87 octane, it will spark at the designated compression. As 92 is less volatile, the 87 spark will be too soon and you will not get the required detonation to provide power and to burn all the 92 fuel in the chamber. In a nutshell, on todays cars, you are wasting your money on 92 octane unless it is specified. I am a fleet manager and drivers buy 92 octane to get double reward miles at the pump. There is no benefit to a 87 octane vehicle other than making the fuel companies richer.

I used a G-tech accelerometer to measure 0-60 times of my CX5 sport, which is an instrument designed to measure acceleration. I measured acceleration with a tank full of 87 octane and a tank full of 93 octane and got about the same result. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...60-MPH-in-8-44-seconds&highlight=Acceleration

O-yeah, if you had a CEL light than you should take it to the dealer so they can diagnose it or pull the stored code to see what the computer thinks the problem is. It could be something as simple as bad gas, which given you do not drive your Mazda much is possible. Bad gas isn't good for acceleration either.

Last edited:
Back