CX-5 Diesel Turbo is VERY likely!

The only fear I have is that Mazda decided to put the new 2.5L Skyactiv-G in the 2014 CX-5 instead of offering the 2.2L diesel for the US/Canada markets. Though the 2.5L does appear to be a global rollout, was confirmed for Australia the same time it was announced for US/Canada.... so there's hope yet!

Still waiting for something concrete on timing of US availability...

I resurrected a thread on this topic in the CX-5 Lounge section:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123811897-Diesel-version-coming-to-US/page2

Short summary is that the diesel, as we all know, is showing up in the Mazda 6 first, sometime around September of this year. Looks like Mazda is going to use that as the barometer for whether or not to start deploying more diesel powerplants in US/Canada market vehicles... haven't been able to troll up any any better specifics than that.

I've been trying to convince my wife to hold out for the diesel, but it's been hard enough getting her to wait for the 2.5. She drove the 2013 with the 2.0L, and loved the vehicle overall, but wished it had a little more power. I told her "wait a few months." It's looking like she's probably going to go for the 2.5. The fact that it has a minimal FE penalty over the 2.0 helps.

I was wondering if a diesel is worth it any more considering the premium paid over the gas engine and the more costly fuel? Ignoring torque benefits and a more robust engine?

I was wondering if a diesel is worth it any more considering the premium paid over the gas engine and the more costly fuel? Ignoring torque benefits and a more robust engine?

In Europe both the diesel and petrol run at 14:1 compression. the diesel does not have a cast iron block as other diesels do, it's all alloy. Mazda closed the gap to allow both types of engine to be made on the same production line. They are of similar robustness.

in the uk we have a 150ps with 380nm of torque or a 175ps with 420nm of torque. sorry I don't have the lb.ft figures to hand but it's HP figures are round 148HP or 173HP respectively. PS is a little lower than HP.

the 150ps is available in 2wd or awd the 175ps is awd only. The weight difference in drive trains means there is only a slight performance advantage on the 4wd 175ps version vs 150ps 2wd. (0-62mph - 8.8 vs 9.2secs)

I have 320 nm of torque in a heavier car than my new cx-5. I love the torque I have now, can't wait for my upgrade I'm getting the 150ps 2wd version...(burnout)

In Europe both the diesel and petrol run at 14:1 compression. the diesel does not have a cast iron block as other diesels do, it's all alloy. Mazda closed the gap to allow both types of engine to be made on the same production line. They are of similar robustness.

Is diesel fuel subsidized and cheaper than gasoline in UK?

Thanks for sharing, but how about in monetary terms? I guess it depends on how much extra the premium for the diesel will be in the states.

Is diesel fuel subsidized and cheaper than gasoline in UK?
With a bit of research, it appears that diesel is more expensive than gas in the UK, but by a far closer margin... Diesel has generally been 15-20% more expensive than unleaded here in the US over the past few years. The price difference in the UK has been more like 5% on average over the past 2-3 years.

On the other hand, diesel is mainland Europe tends to be less expensive than unleaded.. about 5% on average in data from last month.

Diesel is also about 5% extra than regular gas in Canada. I also think that Diesel's are more so excepted in Canada than in the States but I have no numbers to back that up. The price must have an effect.

I wonder if Mazda will price the 2.5 gas and 2.2 diesel very similarly to give buyers the choice without having to spend more.

Latest posts

Back