Lost keys

cweyerjamora

:
Mazda CX-9
I lost my key today to my 2012 CX-9 in my neighborhood. My husband still has a working key but he is worried about safety issues with our car being stolen. If we go to the dealer and get a replacement key will my old key still work? Or will they reprogram both of our keys so as to deactivate the lost one?

Thanks everyone!
Chris

Chris, BUMMER!!

Welcome to the forum.

My advice is to look for that key until you find it! lol.

Do you have an actual key, or is it a smart fob... (do you have a button on your door handle? this means you have a smart fob)

If you have a smart fob, I think the dealer MAY be able to delete the other fob from the computer. But, I can't say for sure. May have to replace the engine computer to do that. Call dealer and ask if they can delete the fob from the computer. I am guessing all the CX-9's have fobs now and that they got rid of the switchblade keys.

By the way, if you only have one fob now, only the dealer can program a second. My advice is to buy 2 new fobs on eBay, have the dealer program one of them, and then program the third yourself. (If you have a total of 3 fobs, you can keep one if a lock box that way if you lose one or if one becomes broken, you only have to buy one more and program it yourself)

Always a good idea to have a total of 3 fobs.

Good luck Chris.

I lost my key today to my 2012 CX-9 in my neighborhood. My husband still has a working key but he is worried about safety issues with our car being stolen. If we go to the dealer and get a replacement key will my old key still work? Or will they reprogram both of our keys so as to deactivate the lost one?

Thanks everyone!
Chris

The old smartKey still works of course.
The process is to delete all keys and re-register what you have (1 your own, and probably a new one also).
This way, the old one will no longer work.
Only your local Mazda dealer can do that.
It is a good idea to get a second one now. If you lose your remaining one, the cost for replacement will be more than $800.
Now, it will cost you around $300 plus/minuc.

Thanks!

THANKS so much guys. I went to the dealer today and they reprogrammed my old and new key. They had difficulty cutting the new key so I will have to pick up the new keys (and my car since they already cleared out my old fob's information grrr) on Monday. On the upside we are getting our regular maintenance completed too. I am totally going to get another one and store it away after dealing with all of this madness! Thanks everyone!

The old smartKey still works of course.
The process is to delete all keys and re-register what you have (1 your own, and probably a new one also).
This way, the old one will no longer work.
Only your local Mazda dealer can do that.
It is a good idea to get a second one now. If you lose your remaining one, the cost for replacement will be more than $800.
Now, it will cost you around $300 plus/minuc.

Sounds good. Once you have 2 programmed keys, its really easy to program a third yourself. I believe it is even in the user manual.

Interesting. Some very helpful folks here on the forum.

Can the car ever be started with JUST the metal key, which detaches from the FOB?

THANKS so much guys. I went to the dealer today and they reprogrammed my old and new key. They had difficulty cutting the new key so I will have to pick up the new keys (and my car since they already cleared out my old fob's information grrr) on Monday. On the upside we are getting our regular maintenance completed too. I am totally going to get another one and store it away after dealing with all of this madness! Thanks everyone!

Where did you get your 2nd key? On eBay or through the dealer? I am in the same boat. My "main" key has been lost and I need to get a replacement. I've heard issues about buying on eBay and the dealer wouldn't be able to properly re-encode the key.

You will be fine with an ebay fob.

Where did you get your 2nd key? On eBay or through the dealer? I am in the same boat. My "main" key has been lost and I need to get a replacement. I've heard issues about buying on eBay and the dealer wouldn't be able to properly re-encode the key.

Great info folks, my wife only has one for her 08 CX9 and I have been wandering the same questions about reprogramming and if it was ok to get one on e-bay or to go pay the dealer a pretty penny. Thanks again

So if I find Chris's FOB w key. I can still drive his car away, after it has been reprogrammed for new FOBs?

No. Chris has the dealer program it off the ID list.
His lost keycard will not be recognized anymore.

Great info folks, my wife only has one for her 08 CX9 and I have been wandering the same questions about reprogramming and if it was ok to get one on e-bay or to go pay the dealer a pretty penny. Thanks again
It is OK to get one from eBay. However, make sure the one you get is "uncut". Otherwise, the metal key will not be useful to you.

The metal key also has an RFID inside the plastic head. Metal part alone cannot turn the ignition.

Just an update. I finally got to the dealership today to have them program the key I got off eBay for $89. The key worked fine. I had to pay the dealer $35 for the actual "cut" key but the dealership was awesome and didn't charge me to re-program the key. They felt bad because I had just purchased the car and already lost a key LOL

Back