Cx5 doesn't want to move forward after reversing

:
Mazda CX - 5
Hello guys,

Have any of you experienced such a behavior from your Mazda cx5 where in the morning I reverse the car out of my driveway (20 feet of reversing to the curb side) and once I put it in drive; the car doesn't want to move. It's like either the brake don't want to let go or the transmission is thinking if it should comply with my request to move forward or not. I have to depress the accelerator pedal further more and then the car lurches forward (giving me a feeling that I had my foot on the brake and then let go all of a sudden).

Now this does happen every morning and happens sometimes during the day too. So I wouldn't say that it's a cold start issue.

My Mazda cx-5 is AWD with automatic transmission.

Any suggestions?

I'm not a mechanic so bare with me....a few things I thought to ask to help deduce the issue.

have you noticed if the car notices that it is in drive? (does the readout on the gauge panel say "D" for drive or still reverse?)
- if so I think it may be the computer.
----if not maybe its the transmission gear linkage or neutral safety switch

either way I would be taking it to the dealer asap.

It does show "D" on the readout. Going to the dealer is what I plan to do provided I can be there to duplicate this issue otherwise it will be "no fault detected" reply from them.

It does show "D" on the readout. Going to the dealer is what I plan to do provided I can be there to duplicate this issue otherwise it will be "no fault detected" reply from them.

I would almost rule out the CPU but you never know. Sounds like either trans, linkage, or neutral saftey switch (something that area)

lol yeah getting the problem to happen in the shop is always troublesome.

I just spoke to this service manager at the dealership and he said that they can't give me a loaner vehicle and blah blah. So I said okay, I will record the entire scenario and email you guys the video and you figure it out and lets do the repairs on Saturday alone as I am not paying for a rental car and at the same time paying for the cx5.

I have the same thing, always when I back from my driveway, put it in drive and the engine just revs instead of moving forward, like the clutch is not engaging. It takes 1-2 sec and it is fine.

Planning on bringing it forward at my next service. Not a huge issue, but annoying.

That seems strange to not allow a loaner, how long have you had the car, mileage, and type of warranty?

I know I have loaner options the extended warranty, I've only had it for a month.

I have the same thing, always when I back from my driveway, put it in drive and the engine just revs instead of moving forward, like the clutch is not engaging. It takes 1-2 sec and it is fine.

Planning on bringing it forward at my next service. Not a huge issue, but annoying.

if its that minor, maybe I have it and didn't notice. I will test this at lunch.

Does the North American version of the car have a hill descent control type feature where it doesn't allow the car to roll back? Because my car when parked in the driveway is usually on a 25% incline.

I am sitting at 17500 kms and have had the car since April this year.

The service manager finally offered me a loaner (pulled out of his hat) when I told him that I will not hesitate to write a complaint to the group that owns the dealership, Mazda USA, Mazda Canada and Mazda Japan.

So I am taking the car in on Thursday this week.

Does the North American version of the car have a hill descent control type feature where it doesn't allow the car to roll back? Because my car when parked in the driveway is usually on a 25% incline.

I am sitting at 17500 kms and have had the car since April this year.

The service manager finally offered me a loaner (pulled out of his hat) when I told him that I will not hesitate to write a complaint to the group that owns the dealership, Mazda USA, Mazda Canada and Mazda Japan.

So I am taking the car in on Thursday this week.

It does have the hill assist,

All CX-5's come with stability/traction control, Hill Launch Assist, antilock brakes and front/front-side/side-curtain airbags.

but it doesn't seem like that would be an issue if you are reversing downhill to a flat or decline surface and the car hesitates in drive. (do I have that right?)

Its sad that you had to resort to complaints to get them to allow a loaner.

Last edited:
I have seen this lurching forward behavior in my car when parked on a flat surface (my office parking lot). So lets see what does the Mazda tech at the dealership diagnose. I don't have much of a faith in them either of the ways.

curious myself, mine takes 1-2 seconds to change from R to D also, but i guess i thought that was normal since i've driven a standard my whole life.

If this is normal then I will live with it but if not then Mazda should fix the problem.

I have also been driving standard for the last 10 years so I am not sure if this is something normal for an automatic transmission.

If you are on an incline the brake will hold the car for a couple of seconds so you have time to take your foot off the brake and onto the gas after a shift change to keep it from rolling downhill futher. Its a safety feature. AND do not put your foot on the brake and the gas at the same time or it thinks you are trying to stop the car and hit the gas by accident and it will turn on dash lights and drop power. In this case you have to come to full stop and turn off the engine to clear the lights...

The loaner issue is something, my dealer told me that Mazda does not reimburse them for loaners on warranty work, so they do not offer loaners on the Mazda side (Audi and VW dealer as well). I told them that this policy would mean that I would not buy another vehicle from them, and I was a bit upset that with as many used cars on their lot, that was a ridiculous policy for them to follow, as I purchased a car from them, not Mazda. I am not that happy right now with my dealership.....

I have the same problem too when going from reverse to drive. Seems like this shift delay only happens when the engine is cold like the initial startup in the morning. You can verify this by holding the brake,shifting into reverse and then shift back into drive and you can feel the shift delay.......

I do understand that every car behaves differently and I have only driven one automatic car before (Chevy cavalier for one year) and that car only gave this jolt / lurch / jump after I got its transmission replaced at 200000 kms.

Anyways I will find out more on Thursday if at all this is an issue or a non issue.

I do understand that every car behaves differently and I have only driven one automatic car before (Chevy cavalier for one year) and that car only gave this jolt / lurch / jump after I got its transmission replaced at 200000 kms.

Anyways I will find out more on Thursday if at all this is an issue or a non issue.

Interesting I've had this happen as well---this car has been quite a hand full of issues for us. Mirror/Hood rattle, intereior creaks, front noices from driving over any type of bump and brutal rough idle on starting. Kind of wish we went with the CRV....just think it is fugly!!

Interesting I've had this happen as well---this car has been quite a hand full of issues for us. Mirror/Hood rattle, intereior creaks, front noices from driving over any type of bump and brutal rough idle on starting. Kind of wish we went with the CRV....just think it is fugly!!

Every car has its share of problems (I am not a fan of Honda which is why I did not choose that brand). I had a Mazda 3 before this one and was fine with it other than the color and I would have paid that off in another 2 years (only if my wife would learn how to drive a manual transmission).

I mean if these little things are such a huge problem you may as well not buy a new car cause every and I mean every new car will have some sort of minor problem. Have you even checked out complaints from CRV owners? http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/

Just sayin, hood/mirror issue are minor problems. Majority of CX-5 owners don't have interior creaks, noises coming from the front. Idle on start is part of the Skyactiv engine so that's no issue. I got a feeling that if you went with the CRV you would have similar complaints about small stuff also.

So the update from my end is that the Mazda dealership was not able to duplicate the problem however the Mazda tech from the corporate office came back with this reply, "vehicle is designed to hold vehicle upon an incline and decline while in drive of more than 15 degrees".

In other words it is normal for the cx-5 to act like a rabbit every now and then. It's a "non-issue".

Back