Oil change intervals, who decides?

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
So my dealer says to keep my car under warranty I have to follow schedule 2 for oil changes. This seems pretty excessive, and costly. Which is why they do it I am sure. Schedule 2 states oil change every 8,000km OR every 4 months, which ever comes first. For synthetic oil 4 months is nothing and I still only had 3,500km at 4 months. But I am wondering, does the individual dealer set the schedule or does Mazda Canada? Or am I just be BS'd by my dealer?

Edit: Service Manual is correct. I thought they were trying to BS you. But why not just take it every 5,000 miles? took me 6 months to hit 5,000 so that's when I went. Or if you don't put too much mileage on it get an oil change in May and then in November.

For normal operation conditions, intervals are 7500 miles / Schedule 1

Schedule 2 is 5000 miles or 4 months (whatever comes first) for vehicles mainly used in following conditions:

Repeated short distance driving
Driving in dusty condtions
Driving with extended use of brakes
Driving in areas where salt and other corrosive materials are used
Driving on rough or muddy roads
Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climate
Driving in extremely hot conditions
Driving in mountainous conditions continually

Because if I go longer than 4 months, the warranty is void. If it were up to me I'd go every 8k kms or so.

First, have them show you in writing where it says that failing to change the oil using schedule 2 voids your warranty. At worst, if you fail to follow the oil change interval then maybe - maybe - they can deny a warranty claim for a repair that's due to old oil. It's not like they can not cover the rest of the car due to this. If your A/C fails for example, they still have to cover it since the oil has nothing to do with the A/C. And really, any old oil related issues may well occur a long time from now, when the warranty has expired.

My car hasn't had its first oil change yet. I'm almost at exactly 3 months and just hit 4001 KM on the odometer this morning. Schedule 2 (Canada) says 8,000KM which is what the dealer wrote down, but the manual also says every 4 months, whatever is soonest. I have a free lifetime oil change program with the dealer, they'll change the oil up to 3 times per year and at a minimum I have to bring it in every six months or 8,000km whichever comes first.

I'm thinking I should take it in after Christmas at the 4 month mark, simply because this is the first oil change and there is probably (by now) all kinds of little bits of metal and stuff in there from breaking in the engine. Subsequent oil changes, I'm fine with stretching it a bit, but since it doesn't cost me any extra, I'd rather do it every four months (I doubt I'll ever hit 8,000KM if 4 months. That would mean me driving twice as much as I do now.)

**edit Dec 28.12** Just called my dealer to have the oil changed and told them it's been 4 months since I got the vehicle and I'm slightly under 5K (about 4500 as of yesterday) and they didn't blink an eye and booked the appointment for me right away. I didn't even have to mention the lifetime oil change program, they already had me in their computer - great!

Last edited:
My car hasn't had its first oil change yet. I'm almost at exactly 3 months and just hit 4001 KM on the odometer this morning. Schedule 2 (Canada) says 8,000KM which is what the dealer wrote down, but the manual also says every 4 months, whatever is soonest. I have a free lifetime oil change program with the dealer, they'll change the oil up to 3 times per year and at a minimum I have to bring it in every six months or 8,000km whichever comes first.

I'm thinking I should take it in after Christmas at the 4 month mark, simply because this is the first oil change and there is probably (by now) all kinds of little bits of metal and stuff in there from breaking in the engine. Subsequent oil changes, I'm fine with stretching it a bit, but since it doesn't cost me any extra, I'd rather do it every four months (I doubt I'll ever hit 8,000KM if 4 months. That would mean me driving twice as much as I do now.)

**edit Dec 28.12** Just called my dealer to have the oil changed and told them it's been 4 months since I got the vehicle and I'm slightly under 5K (about 4500 as of yesterday) and they didn't blink an eye and booked the appointment for me right away. I didn't even have to mention the lifetime oil change program, they already had me in their computer - great!

Which dealership is this? I didn't know Mazda dealerships were doing this... I'm in bc too..
Thanks

4 months or 8000 kms. (Whichever comes first). It is industry standard. Use to be 3 months or 5000 kms. (Which ever comes first). Wat I don't understand is why, when we are using synthetic oil and why would they put such a tiny oil filter on this engine. How much dirt could it possibly hold. IMO.

4 months or 8000 kms. (Whichever comes first). It is industry standard. Use to be 3 months or 5000 kms. (Which ever comes first).

I have to wonder where the standard comes from, but it is likely more a Mazda "standard" than industry. My Volvo that the 5 replaced had a 12 month/12k km service interval.

Brian

Your owner manual is the good reference for oil changes. I think all of Canada is supposed to follow schedule #2 but, your owners manual will confirm this. Ed

I am using the schedule 1 for servicing, unless of course my driving changes..... but Mazda should honor whichever service schedule you detirmine for your area/driving as long as you can articulate it and do not go over recommended schedule standards. I was at 7506 miles for my first oil change....I would hope that going .0008% over for distance would not void my warranty, and will say that in a well worded letter (cc'd to BBB, news outlets, whomever else I think would like to know this, etc.) if it ever comes to that. After all, every standard has a tolerance.

The other side of the coin is you could take an oil sample and have it analyzed to determine oil life left on the current service. I am suprised with all the technology in the Skyactiv engine, that an oil service life sensor was not included, or a realistic expectation of oil life left could not be extrapolated by the ECM and an idiot light would illuminate when 500 miles/kms left until service reqired.

Last edited:
For normal operation conditions in US, intervals are Schedule 1 per owners manual:

6 months
12000 km
7500 miles

Follow Schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated mainly where none of the following conditions
apply.
l Repeated short-distance driving
l Driving in dusty conditions
l Driving with extended use of brakes
l Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
l Driving on rough or muddy roads
l Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
l Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
l Driving in extremely hot conditions
l Driving in mountainous conditions continually
If any do apply, follow Schedule 2
(Canada and Puerto Rico residents follow Schedule 2).

Looks like Canada and Puerto Rico owners should follow schedule 2 based on what's printed in owners manual.

Last edited:
I have to wonder where the standard comes from, but it is likely more a Mazda "standard" than industry. My Volvo that the 5 replaced had a 12 month/12k km service interval.

Brian

Most cars have that with service 1. In ideal driving conditions. Did your Volvo have a spin on filter or a canister element? My wife's beetle says the same. Her car uses 5w40 synthetic with a canister element filter.

I'm not sure what you Canucks have regarding consumer protections and such but I suspect it's a least as good, if not better than the Moss-Magnuson act we have in the states. I don't think Mazda USA can limit warrantied items because the consumer didn't follow the suggested maintenance schedule to the exact letter regardless if said schedule (or lack thereof) can be remotely attributable to the some defect. Now, I am not a lawyer and my 2 cents has no guarantee, warranty or pre-washed tee :p

The problem with saying "Mazda can't deny warranty coverage" is a company can do anything it wants until it is forced to do otherwise. Look at Toyota and the oil sludge problem. It took years and a class action suit before they acted.
And in all honesty I think it does the world a disservice when anyone is told "don't worry, just because you didn't hold up your end of the agreement or have no proof that you did doesn't mean the other side doesn't have to fulfill their side of the agreement."
from a writeup on the Toyota issue "Charles in Arkansas said: "At 36,000 miles the engine gummed up and quit running. My wife had the oil changed at Wal-Mart and did not keep receipts for the oil changes. The North Little Rock dealer and the Toyota representative told us such problems were rare and that we had caused the problem but for $2,500 they could fix it. They inferred that my wife was a liar," he wrote." Ummm, no, they weren't inferring anything they were stating that along with all rights come responsibilities and the owners responsibility was to keep proof that they had done what they were supposed to. But the rights and responsibilities connection is lost anymore.

ta240 - Good point about the rights and responsibilities for owners, basic record keeping isn't that difficult or unreasonable. But in the end Toyota paid with both money and bad press.

I run 5-10K mileage (annual at minimum) oil change intervals on Mobil1 synthetic on my Lexus IS (service always performed by my Lexus dealership), even though owners manual calls for 5K intervals on regular non-synthetic oil. So technically I'm breaking the rules. But I keep my records (and the dealership does too), plus I'm aware of the new 2013 GS350 with same engine on 10K/12mo. intervals using full synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Earlier in the evening I took my CX-5 to the dealership from which I bought it in Dover, OH for it's 2nd oil change and tire rotation @ 14,796 mi (I had the 1st in August @ 7,306 mi). Although the receipt in August clearly indicated the use of Mazda's 0w-20 GF w/ moly as I had requested, the service dept left a sticker on my windshield suggesting that I should return 3k miles later. This annoyed me at the time, but I just thought that they must not yet be aware of the CX-5's maintenance schedule. Tonight, as I was paying my bill, the service guy said to me, "you should really have your oil changed every 3-5k miles." To this I responded, "Why would I do that when my manual recommends one every 7500 miles?" He affirmed that Mazda would honor the warranty if something went wrong, but also inferred that waiting 7500 mi could result in too much wear on the engine. I pointed out that the long service intervals were a selling point that the dealership used when I purchased it. When I argued that the advantage of the (super expensive--$80,rotation included) synthetic oil was the longer interval, he said that the oil was "synthetic based". I asked, "Are you telling me that you didn't use the oil that Mazda recommends?" He assured me that the correct oil was used. Before I left I checked my receipt and it says Mazda's 0w-20 GF w/ moly.

Now I am suspicious about what oil this service dept is really using. Am I just being paranoid? Should I address the issue w/ the management @ the dealership? Should I make a report to Mazda? Or should I leave it alone and go to another Mazda dealership next time?

I always bring my own synthetic oil to the stealership & ther charge ~$13 to change the oil which includes the $8/9 oil filter. So $4 for labor & not having messy hands & possible spill = Win for me.
So total cost of full synthetic OC for ~$40.
Usually 5 Qt jugs are $25 at Walmart. Prob harder to find 0W-20 though.

Not all dealerships are sneaky though. I used to absolutely hate dealerships until I went for the first time in my life of owning cars and doing my own maintenance. Took my CX-5 in for the 5,000 mile service, 30 minutes came out oil change, tire rotation $45. They did a great, clean job as well. Saw the Mazda synthetic oil on the counter and as it was being added to my car. I watched every little move they made because of my trust issues :D

Latest posts

Back