Odd noise coming from engine/transmission area

TheLoudHorn

:
Mazda CX5 AWD 2.0
Hi Guys!

First of all, loads of great comments here, so thanks to all who have contributed (2thumbs)

I have been exceptionally happy with my CX5 AWD Petrol, recently running through the mountains in central Norway, with winding crap roads, steep bends and hills, and loved it all the way.

A few days ago I turned off the sound system (which I usually crank up really loud) and noticed a noise that is really hard to explain. It comes as soon as I touch the gas pedal, but doesn't increase particularly when increasing revs, its the same level all the way. Its like a metallic murmur, low and and increases in cadence when reving, but not in loudness. It disappears as soon as my foot leaves the gas pedal, even if I am doing high speeds. As soon as you turn on the sound system and listen to music at a "normal" level of sound, I can't hear it anymore (but it still there if i really concentrate).

I was a bit worried driving it work today, and wondering if I should hand it to the dealer pronto. Its gone 9000km, haven't changed oil yet. Any comments, or tips?

Does it sound like this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...on-and-rattle-sound-between-2000-and-2500-RPM

Seems a few of us are noticing this sound. I was told it was "normal" and that all CX-5's do it.

Thx for post, but no it doesn't quite sound the same as those issues, since its there also at high rpms. Its more of a really rapid ticking noise. I haven't checked the oil manually yet, will do that after work today. Could be an oil issue, combined with faulty oil warning light but that should result overheating.. however, at minus 18 degrees which we have had here the last week maybe that has concealed overheating of the engine. Or the extremely low temperatures have somehow effected some part of the drivetrain/transmission, if thats at all possible.

Thx for post, but no it doesn't quite sound the same as those issues, since its there also at high rpms. Its more of a really rapid ticking noise.

I would not worry about that one little bit. This engine is very sophisticated and extremely self-aware. When there is an issue, even a very small issue, it is likely to know about it before you notice even the smallest symptom. But what you are describing sounds like the normal operation of the high pressure fuel injection system - nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your new CX-5!

I would not worry about that one little bit. This engine is very sophisticated and extremely self-aware. When there is an issue, even a very small issue, it is likely to know about it before you notice even the smallest symptom. But what you are describing sounds like the normal operation of the high pressure fuel injection system - nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your new CX-5!

Thx for feedback!

Dont think this is normal, had it since June and this is the first time I have noticed it. And it doesn't sound normal, not to my completely-lack-of-mechanical-skills ears :) It sounds almost like two metallic discs spinning very close together and just touching (and no its not the brakes). Having it checked out on tuesday by dealer.

I will try to upload a video today but I think Im having the same issue that you are having.

The sound could be the direct injectors, assuming they use Piezo injectors, the solenoids can be heard on my xtrail.

Okay, so I had my CX5 in this morning at the dealer. Their service technician came along for a ride, and immediately heard the same sound. He said he honestly didn't know if it was supposed to be there or not, but he admitted he would have reacted the same way I did. He had an all new Petrol AWD on the lot, testing that he said that the same sound is there as well. I left, and later got a call from them, after checking with Mazda, and apparently its "normal". If you have the AC on and normal level on the radio you would never notice.

I have heard a noise that is similar as you describe, but is so faint that I believe it is something only a trained ear might catch.

It occurs in my CX-5. It is very strange and almost intensifies with gas pedal pressure; almost like a frquency hum. I have deemed it associated with a electronic mechanism apart of the drive-by-wire system. Perhaps a component which registers pedal pressure. I haven't been under the dash to look, though.

I think ive got the same problem it's very disapointing if it's normal..

The sound is very lound when it's cold here.

It's to loud that if i drive without music it's make me crazy... grrrr

Okay, so I had my CX5 in this morning at the dealer. Their service technician came along for a ride, and immediately heard the same sound. He said he honestly didn't know if it was supposed to be there or not, but he admitted he would have reacted the same way I did. He had an all new Petrol AWD on the lot, testing that he said that the same sound is there as well. I left, and later got a call from them, after checking with Mazda, and apparently its "normal". If you have the AC on and normal level on the radio you would never notice.

I had the same noise whenever I stepped on the gas paddle. My GS has only 150 km. When I released the paddle, there is no dadada...noise. That is annoying if you don't turn on the audio. Any suggestion from Mazda to improve that noise?

Hi, guys,

Is the odd sound sounds like this? I found it from youtube of the fuel injection pattern:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=fDFgiLrEX1o&NR=1

That's the sound of only one injector. When all four are firing it makes a sound more like crickets.

If it is the sound, Mazda should do better in sound insulation of the fire wall then.

I actually like the sound (although conditions need to be perfectly silent to even hear it).

Actually, the sound quiets down when I add half tank of Octane 91 into the full tank of gas that the dealer filled up for my car. Any explanation for that? Is it because of the ethanol content is lowered by adding the high Octane gasoline?

I do think Mazda could do a better job with sound isolation. Maybe that will come with a TSB?

Your vehicle must have more injector noise transmitted than mine. I have good hearing and the sound is barely detectable from the pilot's seat (only audible if the road is smooth and quiet and stereo is off, fan on "2" or less).

Plus, it's a nice sound.

It's not a nice sound lol. It's about to drive me crazy.

I hope a TSB is gonna fix the problem.

Actually, the sound quiets down when I add half tank of Octane 91 into the full tank of gas that the dealer filled up for my car. Any explanation for that? Is it because of the ethanol content is lowered by adding the high Octane gasoline?

I will try.

Latest posts

Back