What is your PSI for CX-5 Touring 17" rims?

yanniz

:
2013, Mazda CX-5, Touring, Sunroof Bose Package
Recently I brought my car to the deal for the 1st oil change. As the standard procedure, they check all the tire pressures and pump more air if requires. After driving out the lot, I notice the tire pressure monitor indicator lite up on the dashboard. Then I check the tire pressure using my own digital gauge and realize tire pressure range from 42-44 PSI in all 4 tires. Which its way more than the recommended tire pressure 34 PSI.

What is your PSI for CX-5 Touring 17" rims?

Stop using that dealer for service. If they can't get something as simple as tire pressures right, why trust them anywhere near the drive dtrain?!

I run mine at 35 psi - and I make sure they are all within .5 psi of each other. This reduces drag and wear on the transmission components.

I agree, time to dump the dealer if they are too incompetent to hire someone smart enough to properly set the tire pressure.

At least your CX-5 was smart enough to know everything wasn't right! LOL!

Not sure if you get cool enough weather to require winter tires or not, but my manual says to increase PSI by 4 when switching to winters. I do have the GT (so 19" rims, @ 36 PSI), but have switched to 17" rims for winter. The 17" are currently at 40 PSI now. If you Google the reasons why you should get several reason/scenarios why it is recommended (I am no expert on this so I don't even want to try speaking for it).

At least your CX-5 was smart enough to know everything wasn't right! LOL!

which is somewhat odd since the system it has only warns you if one wheel is regularly spinning at different speed than the others (a less inflated tire has a smaller radius and thus has to spin more to keep up). So if all the pressures were quite close it shouldn't have noticed.

A good reason to check the pressures regularly, if all 4 tires lose air at about the same rate it won't warn you that the pressures are getting low.

Last edited:
#1. Is your digital gauge accurate? #2. Did you drive awhile before checking pressure? Tires that are driven, often heat up enough to raise pressure 4-5 PSIG.

which is somewhat odd since the system it has only warns you if one wheel is regularly spinning at different speed than the others (a less inflated tire has a smaller radius and thus has to spin more to keep up). So if all the pressures were quite close it shouldn't have noticed.

Re-read the OP's post. Says the tires were in a range of 42-44 psi. Unacceptable variation for AWD and certainly enough for the TPMS to notice.

Re-read the OP's post. Says the tires were in a range of 42-44 psi. Unacceptable variation for AWD and certainly enough for the TPMS to notice.

There is no real TPMS, the car uses the anti-lock brake system to read the wheel speeds. There isn't a sensor inside the tires like some cars have. "The system monitors the tire pressures indirectly using the data sent from the ABS wheel speed sensors."

I wouldn't think a 2 psi difference would be enough to trigger the light.

I guess it could notice that the ABS sensors on all 4 tires were spinning slower than it thought they should for the engine speeds but on my GT the tires have all gotten down to between 29-30.5 PSI when they are supposed to be 36 and no warning light came on

Last edited:
I guess it could notice that the ABS sensors on all 4 tires were spinning slower than it thought they should for the engine speeds but on my GT the tires have all gotten down to between 29-30.5 PSI when they are supposed to be 36 and no warning light came on

The original poster had a 2 psi variation (+- 1 psi), you had a 1.5 psi variation (+- 1 psi). Don't read more into your one experience than it actually contains.

A 2 psi variation is not below the detection threshold.

I'm actually glad my wheels don't contain sensors, batteries, transmitters - pain in the ass if you ask me. Especially if you run winter and summer tire/wheels as I do.

Wheel speed sensors do the job less intrusively. No batteries to change, etc. Zoom-zooom, more time for fun!

I still think a 2 psi variation would be too small for it to detect but I'll drop one of my tires by 2 and see if the light comes on.

A 2 psi variation is not below the detection threshold
As listed where? Anyone else had the light come on? What range triggered it?

Wheel speed sensors do the job less intrusively. No batteries to change, etc. Zoom-zooom, more time for fun!

I typically think simpler is better, however having had the light and warning beep come on on me once and having to decide within a few seconds if I should pull off the freeway before it got into the multiple freeway interchange area with nowhere good to pull off in case a tire was deflating at a rate that would make it dangerous in the next 5 minutes (currently at 29 but dropping fast) or keep going and hope it was just that one tire was 'slightly' below the others.

Granted you can generally feel when a tire has gone to the point of being dangerous but ending up sticking out in traffic on the side of a freeway interchange or ruining an expensive 19" wheel trying to get out of the way after being 'warned' by the car would suck. But pulling off the freeway when there wasn't a need because the warning was also annoying.

(+- 1 psi)

I guess a really bad tire gauge might vary each time you use it but most just vary +/- 1 off the total being accurate, otherwise if you check the same tire several times you'd get different readings and even the cheapest tire gauge I've used didn't do that. So the margin of error between the two readings should be nominal.

Last edited:
I have the 17" with the OE Yokohama Geolanders, and I experimented with the 32-38 PSI range, and found 36 PSI COLD to be my favorite compromise.

Last edited:
#1. Is your digital gauge accurate? #2. Did you drive awhile before checking pressure? Tires that are driven, often heat up enough to raise pressure 4-5 PSIG.

The tires were measured in the morning (parked in the garage over night). Never had problem using the digital gauge.

One of the tire has 28 PSI. that explains why the tire pressure monitor lite up. The rest of the tires have PSI range from 42-44.
The tire pressure monitor lite up the minute I drove off the dealer. It is possible that I hit a nail somewhere on my way out of the dealer, the PSI dropped to 28 PSI

What did I do?
I deflated/inflated all the tires to PSI 36 and reset the tire pressure monitor. The light didn't lite up in 1 a week.

Assumption:
1) There is no nail on the tire with 28 PSI otherwise the light will lite up again
2) Dealer inflated 3 tires from recommended 34 PSI to 42-44 PSI
3) Dealer forgot to inflate the 4th tire

Conclusion:
Don't let the dealer touch the tire pressure ever again if you have your own pump and tire pressure gauge

I still think a 2 psi variation would be too small for it to detect but I'll drop one of my tires by 2 and see if the light comes on.

As listed where? Anyone else had the light come on? What range triggered it?

There is not a simple threshold for triggering the TPMS warning light to come on. The light is controlled by the computer in the DSC control module which takes into account the atmospheric pressure, ambient air temperature, the wheel speed of each wheel (obviously averaged over time) and the readings obtained in the learning period after the TPMS reset is performed. The algorithms used are propriety (as far as I know Mazda doesn't publish these). The exact tire pressures during the TPMS reset (and the conditions during the learning period following the TPMS reset) as well as the barometric pressure and atmospheric temperature will affect the detection threshold.

Shortly after I took delivery of my new CX-5 the TPMS warning light went off. All tires were within 1.5 lbs. I set all tires to the same pressure and reset the system. It has not warned again. Clearly, in a system this sophisticated, the detection threshold will vary based upon many factors.

I guess a really bad tire gauge might vary each time you use it but most just vary +/- 1 off the total being accurate, otherwise if you check the same tire several times you'd get different readings and even the cheapest tire gauge I've used didn't do that. So the margin of error between the two readings should be nominal.

I ride sport motorcycles and tire pressures are crucial to maximizing not only performance but wear patterns so I have at least 9 tire pressure gauges (three digital, two dial and 4 or 5 pencil gauges). I have disposed of at least 4 gauges of various types that read low or high from my most accurate gauges. Some gauges disagree with themselves by as much as 1.5 lbs. depending upon whether they have warmed in my pocket (or sunshine) or have chilled from sitting on a cold bench. Some vary by as much as 2 lbs. depending upon how fast the pressure is introduced to the gauge. Using careful technique and multiple readings I believe I can get each tire to within about 1/3 psi. But doing it casually, most people are lucky to get four tires to within 1 psi. I've had dealerships and tire shops air my tires during routine service many times in my life. I always adjust the pressures afterwards. I think only once or twice after 20 or 30 such times have all four tires been within 1 psi of the target air pressure. Even my digital gauges only read to 1/2 psi but sometimes they will read 43.5 one reading and the following reading will be 44.0 psi (without having added any air).

I'm appalled by the number of cars I see in parking lots, etc. that have missing valve stem caps. Don't people know that tire valve stems are not designed for keeping the air in long term? That's what the caps are for. I've had my car come back from service missing two of four of the caps (that were there when I dropped the car off). I've seen new cars for sale at dealerships missing all four caps. Set the pressures carefully, use valve stem caps, set the TPMS correctly and enjoy.

I have been running the 34PSI recommended, but a month or so ago went to 38PSI, and have now settled on 36PSI for the 17" rims.

Car was delivered with 44PSI on 17" rims. Ride felt too busy and brittle for a SUV.

40PSI still to lively, settled on 38PSI (hot reading, so probably equates to 34PSI cold)

Tyre placard in door jamb states 33PSI for normal running, 38 front & 41 rear for high loads.

Latest posts

Back