CX-5 "Tow" eyelet

MikeM.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L
The manual says the heavy duty eyelet stowed with the jack is not for towing (the tranny can be damaged if towed with the drive wheels on the ground) but for securing the car to a truck bed.

If so, why is there only one eyelet? Any reputable hauler is going to secure the vehicle at all four corners. So, what is the real purpose of this eyelet?

These eyelets are used to secure the car on the boat in transit and are not to be used for towing. This question comes up a lot on the Miata forum I frequent. In a pinch, one eyelet can be used to pull the vehicle up onto a flatbed, which I have done and it works well for that.

These eyelets are used to secure the car on the boat in transit and are not to be used for towing.

The eyelet that came with my car was brand new and had never been used.

My question is this:

Why does Mazda only supply one eyelet if it's purpose is to secure the vehicle during transport?

I believe they use one for each corner of the car on the boat (property of Mazda) and include one in the trunk for the reason stated above.

I believe they use one for each corner of the car on the boat (property of Mazda) and include one in the trunk for the reason stated above.

I presume the reason you referred to is to winch the vehicle onto a flatbed? If so, then I wonder why the Owner's Manual claims it is to be used for securing the vehicle during transit? And if it's for securing the vehicle, shouldn't they include more than one?

I took a quick peek in the trunk of our CX-5 and there seems to be two eyelets, one short one long, just like the owner's manual says. Not sure how they secure the cars on the ROROs they use to transport them over the ocean. Don't know for certain if they were "used" or not on the voyage over, I suspect yes, and then they are likely removed at the port and the appropriate bumper cover plugs installed. I've seen CX-5 on a car carrier, and all appeared to have the bumper plugs installed, and I would assume the eyelets stowed in the trunk....

I took a quick peek in the trunk of our CX-5 and there seems to be two eyelets, one short one long, just like the owner's manual says.

Thank-you Loughman, I did not see the other eyelet the first time I looked but now I see there are two.

Mystery solved.

Back