Need Help w/ Un-Repairable Shark Fin Antenna

I'm at my wits end and need some advice.

My shark fin antenna is loose on the right (passenger) side. The seal is not properly attached on the affected side, while the left (driver) side appears correct. With minimal movement you can see the roof under antenna. Easy access for water. I'm concerned about water intrusion and eventually, rust.

I brought my CX-5 to the dealer to express my concerns. First, the service rep stated that Mazda has built in water channels under the roof, and that I shouldn't worry. I told them I wanted it fixed, so they took it inside. My CX was returned with the excuse that there is no adjustment on the antenna, therefore it is un-repairable. I was quite taken aback when I heard this. How can a dealership say that something is un-repairable? Also, since when have modern car manufacturers start putting in water channels under the roof?

The next dealership is over 100 miles away, but I called to see if they would fix the antenna. This dealership refused, stating that they only do warranty work on Mazda's purchased from them. I couldn't believe they made such a statement. People do move, and take their cars with them. Since this is my first Mazda maybe I didn't realize that the new car warranty is only valid at the original dealership. Luckily I won't be moving anytime soon.

Not getting anywhere at the dealerships I decided to contact Mazda corporate in California. I had the CEO's name (Jim O-Sullivan) from an email he sent me for my new owner survey. I actually drafted and sent a letter to Mr. O'Sullivan stating my problems. No response.

I also made comments in my new owner survey concerning the antenna. No response.

Sorry for the long wind....but I'm on my own here. I have no faith in the service department of my dealership, or the dealership for that matter. Consequently Mazda corporate is a dead end as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with Mazda? Sadly, I think I'm stuck with a new car with no warranty options.

I can't help with your specific antenna issue, but I know for sure - 100% - that ALL Mazda dealers in the US perform Mazda new car warranty work. You might try calling the 2nd dealership again. Maybe you just got an idiot who answered the phone.

From the Mazda USA FAQ site. http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=FAQ

Do warranty-related repairs need to be performed at the dealership where I purchased my vehicle?
Warranty repairs may be performed at any authorized Mazda dealership, regardless of where your vehicle was purchased.

I noticed that our shark fin antenna was loose as well. I can't see a gap under it but very light pressure and the antenna would rotate 5-10 degrees.

Latest posts

Back