2012 LA auto show details on 2014 CX-5 new options

But well worth it with almost no difference in gas mileage. I know it's hard for anyone who already laid out cash for a 2.0 to admit it, but read of the many test reports out there. I been waiting for the 2.5 because of the power issue.

Last edited:
If they don't offer the diesel on the CX-5 in the near future, I think there will be a lot of backlash about offering the bigger gas engine and not the diesel. And some existing owners are going to be very unhappy, especially since the fuel mileage penalty appears relatively small. And the fuel mileage penalty now puts the big-engine CX-5 only very slightly better than the competition, especially the CR-V.

Putting the diesel into the CX-5 would have clearly differentiated them from the competition and avoiding this cannibalism. I don't understand the decision to do it this way.

- Mark

Last edited:
I don't expect any backlash. Yes, the diesel would be nice assuming oil-rising issues are solved and I would expect it later. But Mazda expanding in early 2013 the engine lineup to consist of Skyactive 2.0 and 2.5 will only increase already strong demand for CX-5.

They wont offer the 2.5 in the sport model so you have to go to the Touring and then it still will be an extra cost option. That's a lot of doe for 30 horsepower and less gas mileage.

IMHO, I don't see it as a negative, because Tourings and GT's (and the associated level of desirable equipment) are very popular versions. The extra 29 horsepower with only 1 mpg penalty are just nice improvements, people that are buying in this price range won't see it as negative.

I am pretty sure form what I've read that Mazda's plans are to bring the diesel to the CX-5 and other models in the very near future. They are just playing it tight to the vest and making sure they play their cards right. That is why they are testing the waters and banking on so much with the new 6. The first big hurdle was to bring the Diesel over to America, which they have accomplished with the 2014 6. The next step is to integrate them across their line. Just be patient it will come, Mazda has a good opportunity to gain a lot more customers when they finally do integrate the diesels across their product line.

2013 CX-5 owners do you feel cheated that Mazda is going to offer the 2014 CX-5 with the option of the more powerful Sky-activ G 2.5 engines?
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152294158145363.937229.337363685362&type=1

This is more a question for people with the automatic versions and not the 6MT. From what I've heard, there still won't be a 2.5L 6MT and if they later have one, it won't match my 26/35. It was already expected that a larger gas engine and a diesel option were coming at some point anyway. Besides, our old vehicle got into an accident earlier this year which led us to needing a replacement car.

I do not feel cheated. I think having more options for motors (wish the motors/trim levels had more tranny options....) will bring more people into the dealerships for Mazda. I can see the 2.0G being the initial "show" motor for a test drive, then the 2.5G or (hopefully) 2.2D being the gotcha motor for people undecided or having research-only decisions pre-made walking into the dealerships. Or the opposite happens, someone wants the bigger motor, finds out the price with trim level and cannot justify the purchase, they still have a 21K base to buy into the brand with. The vehicle interior has its upgrades accross the trim levels, but the base of the interior is the same quality/design accross the board. The major difference on the exterior is the 17" or 19" rims with the same paint/chrome/plastic/spoilers etc. accross the board.

I have been completely satisfied with the "underpowered" 2.0G, and not just for the fuel efficiency either. I went to the Smoky Mountains a couple of weeks ago and had an absolute blast driving the eastern mountain roads in my 2.0G AT. I could have the manual function running the engine to my demands, or just leave it in auto and marvel at the scenery and enjoy myself. With three people in the vehicle, it kept up with a "more powerful" SUV with no issues, though I am sure my fuel bill was lower that the other drivers.....

As for the estimated MPG on the 2.5G, I would see how the real world MPG was before I would even consider the 2.5G, but that is me. I will probably test drive one anyway, and will absolutely test drive the 2.2D if it gets here, just for the fun of it.

the 2.0 was only ever a stopgap, its a shame that the 2.5 wasnt ready last spring. unfortunately all the comparos have already been written. Should help sales some though.

I for one, am planning on buy one now, i would not have bought the 2.0

I just hope it doesnt make it too expensive. 31k for an optioned GT is already the max it should be if it wants to compete with the cr-v.

Has anyone tried exclusively using the sports manual mode with the AT's ? The reason I ask is because I have a 2010 Mazda 5 which has the 2.3L MZR motors which everyone complains is too slow. The HP for the MZR is 153 at 6500 rpm and the torque is 148 at 4500 rpm's, the curb weight of the 5 is 3,422 lbs. The CX-5 2.0G engine is rated at 155 HP at 6000 RPM and the torque is 150 at 4000 RPM's, the curb weight is 3,426 lbs. So, basically, these two vehicles are almost identical in hp, torque, and curb weight, and I can tell you that letting the RPM's get up to 4000 to 4500 before you shift to the next gear really helps these vehicles get max power. I almost exclusively use the manual mode and I have never had a problem with the engine being under powered, but my wife who lets the computer do the shifting complains about it sometimes. Mazda programs the computer to always run at the fewest rpm's possible to get the best gas mileage, that is why the computer will have the transmission in 5th gear at 40 mph, it is great for gas mileage, but it sucks when you need the extra power right then. Taking control of the transmission really does help. Thing is this isn't just Mazda, it is many car manufacturers who program their vehicles for max mpg's.

Wow, we've heard it all here, like it's some kind of crisis.

In reality to Mazda it's an enhancement (2.5L) to engine lineup and natural progression in shorter time since intro than typical. Well done Mazda.

Btw-I agree, manual mode is very good.

I don't feel cheated either.... natural progression and development of a car I suppose.

I test drove the CX-5 knowing full well what reviews had said about the gutless engine. So once the sales rep departed our test model we took the car up a couple of nearby long hills etc and were very pleased.

I am constantly thrilled by this car, if I wanted more get up and go I would have bought a different car. CX-5 suits all my requirements.

Often found grinning when I leave all the other cars behind at the lights without even pushing the Mazda. :)

the 2.0 was only ever a stopgap, its a shame that the 2.5 wasnt ready last spring.

I think you have it backwards... I'm betting the 2.5 is being released to appease people that want more NA power, whereas Mazda only ever wanted the 2.0 and D.

I guarantee the 2.5 isn't going to clip the 35-37 mpg I get on the interstate. The small uptick in power isn't worth it for me.

Last edited:
2013 CX-5 owners do you feel cheated that Mazda is going to offer the 2014 CX-5 with the option of the more powerful Sky-activ G 2.5 engines?
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152294158145363.937229.337363685362&type=1

No, we just pay 'early adopters tax'

I must say that I did go deliberately with MT version which I love. Had driven auto CX-5 before buying MT and I was not impressed.

Now, apparently 2.5 will not be offered in MT version. Will extra 30HP help with AT? How about the MPG? We'll have to wait to get some answers.

I think you have it backwards... I'm betting the 2.5 is being released to appease people that want more NA power, whereas Mazda only ever wanted the 2.0 and D.
there hasnt been a car in this segment with a 2.0 and that low hp in years. All competitors are 2.4-2.5 engines. There is no chance that mazda thought they would have a consistent long term seller thats underpowered and under displaced compared to the competition.

It is too bad that they didn't change the tire size on the GT to something that is more easily available than the practically non-existent ones it has now.

Tire sizing is non-issue today (9 months after CX-5 launch), inventory availabilty will continue to increase. The Toyo 19" tires (both model and sizing) were carefully selected by Mazda to have excellent ride and handling, long wear, low rolling resistance contributing to fuel efficiency and very good quietness.

Tire sizing is non-issue today (9 months after CX-5 launch), inventory availabilty will continue to increase. The Toyo 19" tires (both model and sizing) were carefully selected by Mazda to have excellent ride and handling, long wear, low rolling resistance contributing to fuel efficiency and very good quietness.

I havent looked into the sizing myself, but if its true that the cx-5's 19" tire size selection is limited to only those toyos, it is most certainly an issue. a big issue.

Back