DIY Cargo cover

JF1444

:
Metro Gray CX-5 GT AWD
I wanted to get the OEM rear cargo cover but the price (in Canada) was close to $300. On-line I've seen it for about half that. Still more than what I wanted to spend.

So I put one together instead! :) Total cost < $40.

I picked up an extensible shower curtain rod (at Walmart) and fit it into the rear cargo openings made for the OEM cover. Fits real snug.
Bought a curtain panel (also from Walmart) and cut it down to about 30" (distance from rear seats to door closed).
Attached an elastic and hooks to the end and hooked to trunk lid. Tada! Instant cargo cover.

Not the most elegant thing - but does the job. And can be easily removed when need be.

PS: I definitely had way too much time on my hands yesterday !

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,568
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,224
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,840
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,375
Last edited:
If you like it, that's all that should matter

LOL! Yeah I know! Looks like s***! :) Actually looks better in person! LOL!! (rlaugh)

Then again, I don't actually see it when I'm driving. It does the job at covering up the rear from prying eyes.
Did not want to have a blanket to throw on/off as it would probably end up dirty and always in the way.

If I can figure out a way to hookup a 42" retractable Window Blind, that may look and work better...MacGyver Cover v2...coming up!

Last edited:
I think the Canadian Cx-5's are different. Meaning my CX-5 is tinted in the rear and you can't see anything inside. Your CX-5 is like daylight back there.

Wow, better than the black towels I was using before.

But it confirms for me that the Mazda cargo cover was worth every penny (purchased w/20% discount coupon via dealer), it's really well-designed, attractive and easily removed.

Ours are also tinted and fairly dark in the rear too. Anyone with a flashlight can still peek as to what you have in the trunk.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_0142-001.JPG
    IMG_0142-001.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 519
Wow, better than the black towels I was using before.

But it confirms for me that the Mazda cargo cover was worth every penny (purchased w/20% discount coupon via dealer), it's really well-designed, attractive and easily removed.

Well I got 2 out of 3 covered! :) ;)

I paid 108$ taxes in for the trunk mat at the dealer here in Winnipeg.

But he's talking about the cargo cover (not the trunk mat).

Note: I bought mine at dealer parts counter using a 20% off coupon on their website. So the price was $152 (US $)

Re:...version 2..

It's in the design stage.
Having an engineer draw up the plans now as we speak.
Corrugated board and snaps... That's all I can say for now...patent pending design.
(2thumbs)

Geeze,can't a guy get a break on this forum??

The retractable sounds really nice. I saw one for a chevy. If you end up successful I'd be interested in buying one. =)

LOL (to the OP) :). Definitely not most elegant but it does the job!

I got mine when I bought the car, had to haggle it from the dealer ;) I really like for the summer. For now I disconnected the hook attachments because sometimes I need to just put something in the trunk from the backseat and you can't do that with the cargo cover hooked up.
After the door sills, my next purchase is the trunk mat!

The trunk mat is really nice. The dealership offered to give me 30 percent discount when I bought the car I regretted not getting it then because a month after - I purchased one full price and I love it.

The trunk mat is really nice. The dealership offered to give me 30 percent discount when I bought the car I regretted not getting it then because a month after - I purchased one full price and I love it.
I got 20% coupon in the mail and I am using it for the trunk mat!! :)

Damn, i want a 20% coupon.

It sucks how car accessories from the dealer are so marked up.

Yes, check local dealership websites (parts section), that's where I found the 20% coupon used for cargo cover.

Back