CX-5 Fuel economy

RickInMesa

:
Mazda, CX-5
At 7,000 miles I'm only getting 23 mpg - with 90% highway driving. I've talked to the dealer and they say unless engine lights are other signs are showing a malfunction, there really isn't much they can do.
I'm very disappointed in this because I traded in a 6 cyl Kia that was getting 25 mpg. I was willing to give up the pep - 4 cyl VS 6 cyl - for the fuel economy.
Any other CX-5 owners experiencing this?
Thanks in advance.
Rick

Somethings wrong...how fast are you driving? Where are you getting gas from? I gave yet to have a tank get less than 32mpg. And i have about 8500 miles now.

That doesn't seem right, I'm getting around 24 Mpg and I hardly ever drive on the highway. Most of my driving is done about about 30-50MPH and my commute is short, about 25-35 miles in a day. If you are getting the same, yet mostly driving highway, I can't see that. Then again, anything over about 60MPH the economy does start to really roll off. At 75MPH you will not achieve the advertised MPG -- at least that's been my experience so far. I think you need to keep it between 55-60MPH and steady speed to see that posted economy.

I'm at 13,000 miles and I consistently see my avg mpg between 30.5 and 32. This is about a 50/50 mix of hwy and city driving. Fuel economy is one of the few things about the 5 that I love.

seen temps dropped to below 40 oF my mpg went from 39.5 to 38.9 avg with 7200miles... not really surprised since not I drive with heater on and lights on constantly...

seen temps dropped to below 40 oF my mpg went from 39.5 to 38.9 avg with 7200miles... not really surprised since not I drive with heater on and lights on constantly...

do lights on have an effect on mpgs???

I get about 22mpg but that is 90% rush hour traffic creeping along and idling for over an hour both ways. Little to no hiway driving.

when you are on the highway set the cruise control at 65 and reset the average mpg, what does it show after a few minutes on level ground?

I can get pretty low mpg on the highway if I drive it aggressively with trying to get around the slower cars often and moving into open spots when they show up.

23 is pretty low but I could see it happening if driven similar to a v6. It isn't just the smaller engine that helps the mpg, if you wring the performance out of the little engine they will often do worse than a larger engine driven similarly. That's why the small 4cyl so often do bad in magazine reviews. I doubt the reviewers just get out on the freeway and set the cruise control for the slow lane.

I find the best tool to help me keep the mpg up is the range readout. If the range starts dropping faster than the trip odometer goes up then I'm driving too aggressively.

Does not seem right, including the part about V6 getting 25mpg in same conditions. Not enough info here to be meaningful.

At 7,000 miles I'm only getting 23 mpg - with 90% highway driving. I've talked to the dealer and they say unless engine lights are other signs are showing a malfunction, there really isn't much they can do.
I'm very disappointed in this because I traded in a 6 cyl Kia that was getting 25 mpg. I was willing to give up the pep - 4 cyl VS 6 cyl - for the fuel economy.
Thanks in advance.
Rick

My wife and I have a sport (6MT) and get around 28mpg with mostly city driving and recently got 36.5mpg on a recent roadtrip with almost all highway. If you are averaging 23mpg with 90% highway driving, that doesn't sound right unless your driving style is really bad for fuel economy, there are some other factors leading to bad mileage or there is some odd problem with your vehicle that doesn't throw any errors or codes (unlikely). How fast do you normally go on the freeway/highway? Do you have some sort of roof carrier or bike carrier that could increase drag at higher speeds? Are you carrying extra weight or have some sort of trailer? Do you drive aggessively and use your brakes a lot?

It can help to use fuelly.com to carefully track your mileage/fuel economy and see other peoples results. It can also be helpful to monitor your fuel economy on the dash readout and see how your driving affects it.

We see around 25mpg running errands, etc. When I work... mix of a little city and various 55-70mph highways, I've been getting 30-31 on a tank.

Pure highway cruising with no real wind factor.... should see #'s like 30-32mpg @70mph and at least 2-3 more mpg @60mph

Thanks in advance.
Rick

No mention of what tranny and AWD or FWD?

I have the Touring w/6 speed AT and AWD. After 2700 miles of mixed driving I've never seen less than 30 mpg (tracked manually). I've been using the stock tires and don't have a roof rack or other wind catching appendages. Tire pressure is 35 psi all around.

Do you warm up the engine for more than a minute and/or take trips that don't allow the engine to fully warm up or have you modified the vehicle in any way?

This is the best fuel economy I've seen since I drove a little econobox in the 1970's. Current average is 32 mpg since the car was new.

Something seems way off here but if you were actually getting better mileage with a V6 Kia by 2 MPG than you should trade in the Mazda and get another Kia. My brother in laws 2009 Kia FWD base model with the 2.0 liter engine averages around 23 mpg combined city highway.

Echo - Yes, something's off. At 5800 mies - I average 30-32 mpg - calculated by hand at the pump and indicated on dash.

Assuming you are driving like a regular person....I would
1) Jack up each wheel and check for proper rotation of the wheels - maybe you are dragging a brake caliper or something.
2) make sure air intake is snugged up
3) make sure oil level is normal
4) check for proper tire inflation

I have found that this CX-5 is more sensitive to speed than some of the other vehicles I have owned. It gets around 33 mpg at 65mph, but can drop to as low as 24 mpg at 80 mph. For comparison, my Escape V6 ranges from 20-23 mpg for these speeds. (These figures are from the computer)

I get 33MPG constantly. In 90% HWY driving I'd get 35+ MPG easily.

23MPG is below terrible for CX-5.

I've seen our mileage drop off as of lately. My wife drives the car most of the time and shes been avg 24.5mpg with mostly city driving. This past holiday weekend I did most of the driving. Usually 15-20mile jaunts on the highway, I"m absolutely babying it. Never over 3k rpm during highway acceleration. Cruising 65-70mph. Coasting downhills, slowing on uphills, long coasts to stop signs and off ramps, no idling, Over 170miles of driving I got 26.5mpg at the pump. This is not ok. I could see 26.5 being ok for mindless driving but after paying attention I'm not happy.

IMO, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on one tank of fuel, especially with "15-20 mile jaunts on the highway", hardly a road trip/highway/freeway scenario.

Latest posts

Back