New 2.5L Engine Coming Soon

Having already purchased a CX-5...I guess this is moot for me.

I can, however, get a nice preview of this engine before it arrives in the 2014 6. :D

But, for the benefit of sales, it is good they are bringing another option over. With the new Escape on the market, they need it.

But, for the benefit of sales, it is good they are bringing another option over.

It's a shame they didn't bring it over earlier. I probably would have still gotten the 2.0 but at least then all the early reviews wouldn't have included "slow". A bit better early press would have helped sales.

Great news, I drove a gas 2.0 AWD auto the other day and it was painfully pokey, like driving my wife's MZ5 with the e-brake on and a small trailer in tow at the same time. I bet the MPGs don't drop to much in real world use, either.

Still would stick with a 2.0L It is noted that the gas mileage is pretty good on the 2.5L but still not like the 2.0L. I know the 2.0L is a little pokey but seems to do fine with a load and on hills from my experience. If there was a diesel option when we purchased we would of gone for that---lots of torque and still great mileage.

I think you are correct. The larger engine will be included as part of the AWD package. Will make the CX-5 more performance competitive with other CUV's. for those of us that are waiting, it gives us a target date now. We'll learn more at the LA Autoshow. C&D liked the 2.5L engine when they tested it in the new Mazda6 so for me, it is worth giving up a few mpg for better performance.

That's just what the Ausies get, who knows what we'll get in the states.

See, looking to the future, Gas Milage IS an issue. I think we can predict without too much worry that in the next 2 or 3 years, Gas will be around $1.50 a litre again, and probably $2.00 near the end of this vehicles life span in 8-10 years.

I might hold off until the 2014 model year and I sure wouldn't want to be forced into a 2.5L for AWD model. I doubt it will be that big of a difference, but over time and as cost increases, the different becomes much higher, and to me, a big part of the reason for being interested in this vehicle IS the gas milage as I would want to purchase it to drive it into the ground for 10-12 years.

That's just what the Ausies get, who knows what we'll get in the states.

Since the states has a much higher gas car content I would think we would more options on the G 2.5 and the D would have fewer configurations than offered down under...

Since the states has a much higher gas car content I would think we would more options on the G 2.5 and the D would have fewer configurations than offered down under...

If the 2.5 was the only option I would have passed on the CX-5.
The outstanding MPG with the 2.0 is THE REASON I looked at the CX-5 and the ESCAPE and skipped the rest of the other CUV's.

I'm getting just slightly lower MPG than my 8th gen civic got. 30 MPG is outstanding IMO.

Now if the Tundra got 30MPG... I'd do that in a heartbeat.

so how much are you willing to pay for additional 20HP which may translate to 0.5sec less in 0-60 and ~5MPG less then 2.0 ?

The Diesel should be a much more drastic impact and worth the premium (in the loonnnngggg run)

Lets see what the numbers before jumping in

According to Fuelly, real CR-V 2012 owners gets 26.9 MPG average compared with 28.5 MPG of real CX-5 owners.
With 15K miles / year @ $4 / gallon that's only $125 / year difference. The CR-V has a 2.4L engine, has more power.
I believe the MPG hit for the 2.5L would not be that much. Lets wait few days and see.

Yeah, I would get the Diesel too, when Mazda should fix its oil-rising issue, not before. If they never officially fix the problem, I'd wait until people stop complaining and would not get a car with serious engine longevity issues, which is not appropriate for short drives (mine is ~10 mile commute, and it's too short apparently).
However, from an economical standpoint, it would take a long time to get back the extra $$ one pays for a 2.2D until fuel-savings will make it worth-while, not accounting for the extra maintenance cost.

so how much are you willing to pay for additional 20HP which may translate to 0.5sec less in 0-60 and ~5MPG less then 2.0 ?

The Diesel should be a much more drastic impact and worth the premium (in the loonnnngggg run)

Lets see what the numbers before jumping in

I doubt it will be that crappy with the 2.5L. My guess is that the 180HP/180TQ will translate to at LEAST a 1.5 second reduction in 0-60, so we're talking about a 7.5-8.0 second 0-60. Also, I highly doubt it would result in a 5mpg hit...that would be way under the "competitive line" compared to the CRV, escape, etc. I would say more like a ~2mpg hit.

According to Fuelly, real CR-V 2012 owners gets 26.9 MPG average compared with 28.5 MPG of real CX-5 owners.
With 15K miles / year @ $4 / gallon that's only $125 / year difference. The CR-V has a 2.4L engine, has more power.
I believe the MPG hit for the 2.5L would not be that much. Lets wait few days and see.

Yeah, I would get the Diesel too, when Mazda should fix its oil-rising issue, not before. If they never officially fix the problem, I'd wait until people stop complaining and would not get a car with serious engine longevity issues, which is not appropriate for short drives (mine is ~10 mile commute, and it's too short apparently).
However, from an economical standpoint, it would take a long time to get back the extra $$ one pays for a 2.2D until fuel-savings will make it worth-while, not accounting for the extra maintenance cost.

From researching other vehicles, it usually takes 6-8 years for a Diesel to pay for itself, making it hardly worth it.

If you run into a price rise for Diesel as has been the norm over the last few years, putting the prices on parity, you are essentially screwed.

Back