Ambient Light on auto dimming mirror

CX5er

:
Mazda CX-5 GS FWD
I have the auto dimming mirror with homelink and compass as a dealer installed accessory. I recently noticed that there is a light under the mirror that automatically turns on at night. Is this an ambient lighting?(scratch)

I'm referring to the light under the mirror housing. You have to look under to see it. I know the "on" indicator light you're referring to and this light is different.

I'm referring to the light under the mirror housing. You have to look under to see it. I know the "on" indicator light you're referring to and this light is different.

really? i've never noticed any lights under there, just the power light, can you post up some pictures?

There are two different mirrors, I think some CX-5 owners have the auto dimming mirror that displays the navigational direction you're driving on it as well (NE, NW, S, N etc..) maybe this one has this light?

Mine does not have this mirror even with the Tech package.

There are two different mirrors, I think some CX-5 owners have the auto dimming mirror that displays the navigational direction you're driving on it as well (NE, NW, S, N etc..) maybe this one has this light?

Mine does not have this mirror even with the Tech package.
i haven't seen any with the direction, i thought there was just a plain mirror, then the autodimming(w/homelink)

Oh I see it's a Non-Tech option for $295

Here it is from the Mazda CX-5 build your vehicle option

Selecting AUTO-DIMMING REARVIEW MIRROR WITH COMPASS AND HOMELINK requires:

(-) Removing GRAND TOURING TECH PACKAGE (-$1325 to MSRP)

Yes, i have it and there is an orange light below the mirror that is always on, day or night. This is in addition to the green light that is on the front of the unit. However, the orange light is not bright enough to visibly light anything up like the over head blue led light was in my mazda3 that lit up the shifter column.

Yes, i have it and there is an orange light below the mirror that is always on, day or night. This is in addition to the green light that is on the front of the unit. However, the orange light is not bright enough to visibly light anything up like the over head blue led light was in my mazda3 that lit up the shifter column.

this is the one with the compass headings on it?

i checked mine, no lights on it, just the homelink buttons, the power button and light for dimming mirror, and the photo sensor for the dimming function

Last edited:
The mirror has the compass headings on it. I took a picture of the mirror front facing and the bottom part without the camera flash.

Attachments

• Mirror Bottom.JPG
    Mirror Bottom.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Mirror Front.JPG
    Mirror Front.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 280
Yep i have the same one pictured. There is an orange light on the bottom of it. Not sure of its purpose.

I would love to get an orange ambient light, even aftermarket, but I'm not to tech savvy on this stuff. Does anyone know of any quick and tasteful fixes?

I have that on mine and was told it is soft illumination at night so you can see the shifter knob more readily. It really is very dim, and IMO, does nothing for ambience.

I have that as well......doesn't help illuminate the shifter well but some of my stuff in the center gets illuminated. I can follow the light with my hand all the way down....

Back