Winter Mats over Weathertechs?

JF1444

:
Metro Gray CX-5 GT AWD
I installed Weathertech floor liners in my CX5. Perfect fit! These will definitely help avoid salt stains and dirt on the carpet big time! Especially this winter.

I am considering ALSO putting down some Winter mats over these thinking that the winter mats would trap and hold more slush and water and I can easily lift them out and clean them. Taking out the Weathertechs - especially the front - would be a pain since they are held down with the clip/grommet thingy. The rear is just one big mat that runs across the car with 2 pans. I'll probably spill the dirt and water lifting these out.

Anyone else lay down additional winter mats over their Weathertech liners? Issues?

Id advise against it in the drivers seat...could get stuck under the brake or gas pedals.

Mazda also advises against it.

So much so that they mold the warning right into the mats. And did so in 3 languages.

And then still attached a fancy tag to the mats with a big warning about never layering mats.

matwarning.jpg

Last edited:
You will find the WeatherTechs dry fairly quickly with the heater on. I went with the Husky Weatherbeaters instead of the Weathertechs....both provide great protection but the Huskys are cheaper. I would not even consider mats on top....and I have been using weathertechs for years. Not safe and unnecessary.

i got the Mazda custom all-weather mats... they look great and fit perfectly! love them... now i'm not sure what to do with my regular cx-5 mats...

The regular mats for the back seat floor will still ride under the OEM all-weather mats, however the fronts will not because they both use that snap to hold them in place on the floor. I took my fronts out for the winter and left my regular mats in the back underneath the others. Been that way for almost a couple months in the wet fall weather of Seattle and have had no problems at all. When I vacuumed out the car recently the regular mats were spotless underneath the all-weather mats in the back. I wish there was a way to leave the fronts in also.

Placing any other rubber mats over the weathertechs won't work: the top mat simple slides around too much. It may be okay for passenger or rear, but too dangerous for the driver side.

Back