Hella Loud - Boom Boom for the zoom zoom

DANILO

:
CX5
The ORIGINAL Hella Loud!!!

So we love our CX5, but one thing that doesn't match the car's character is the stock puny little horn... so I fitted some Hella dual tones. Did the wiring all nice with shrink wrap and quick disconnects so it could be returned to stock, although I'm not sure why I would... now people will know when I honk!

Excuse the grainy picture
8193650087_dcfcccc055_b.jpg

You can buy them at alot of places and I followed Griot's Garage wiring instruction... I used the instructions for cars with 1-Wire and it works fine. Already done it this way on two different cars.

If someone wants a more stealth look I think you can paint the horn grills black instead or there's probably a company that already sells them painted. I think some of the Subaru guys would know where to get them as they mount them alot on their cars.

Happy zooming.

note quite, those require an air pump... but I do have a friend that was planning on putting one of those on his Nissan Frontier.

can you upload a video of it?
i swear the stock horn on the CX-5 puts you into invisibility mode

here's the stock cx5 horn compared to the Hella horns:
http://youtu.be/PrGH0Go-iN8

it is just a short blast of each (it was still early) and inside a closed garage (also the early thing). The stock horn seems to carry pretty well to me. It doesn't sound like much from inside the vehicle but that is part of the problem with better sound deadening in modern cars.

I have the hella ones on the other car hooked up to the alarm and they will make you jump.

that's it right there :)

sounds a bit louder when you do the double lock click on the remote to lock it up too :)

one more note on the install...

the mounting location I chose on the driver's side is where the stock horn is mounted, on the passenger side of the core support there's the same mounting provision, except no horn is there of course. There's only a small ground ring terminal located there... just uncscrew the bolt and install the horn there of course, leave that stock ground ring terminal there. I put it between the new Hella horn's bracket and the mounting location, so that ground is still nice and tight. If you take your time and do it right, it's a really clean install. If you paint them black you wouldn't even know they were there.

Last edited:
The horn was one of my complaints of this car as well, I had to use it on a freeway once and realized how wimpy it sounded!

i'm planning on replacing my horns too, but when I tried to access horn in the radiator area, I couldn't find an easy way in, did you have to remove the entire bumper to do your install?

The horn was one of my complaints of this car as well, I had to use it on a freeway once and realized how wimpy it sounded!

i'm planning on replacing my horns too, but when I tried to access horn in the radiator area, I couldn't find an easy way in, did you have to remove the entire bumper to do your install?

Essentially yes... I wish Mazda would have made the grill removeable, but it's not, don't know why they did that. I got away with undoing all the bolts/plastic rivets underneath the bumper and all the way to the driver's side fender well and the plastic flare. Then pulled the bumper enough so that I could access the area... you do have to bend the plastic panel that goes across the top of the radiator support as well. You'll see once you dig in there. It wasn't comfortable, but I got away with it that way. Wear some long sleeves or a sweater as that plastic panel at the top will scratch your arms a bit.

Essentially yes... I wish Mazda would have made the grill removeable, but it's not, don't know why they did that. I got away with undoing all the bolts/plastic rivets underneath the bumper and all the way to the driver's side fender well and the plastic flare. Then pulled the bumper enough so that I could access the area... you do have to bend the plastic panel that goes across the top of the radiator support as well. You'll see once you dig in there. It wasn't comfortable, but I got away with it that way. Wear some long sleeves or a sweater as that plastic panel at the top will scratch your arms a bit.

It looks like it'll take longer than I thought it would, but I still want to get it done anyway. Thanks for the info!

I posted some pictures in the "how to" section for a bug screen I installed that shows how to get into the top...

Dialo -

Great looking install! Did you have to remove anything to get access to the area for the install? Did you remove the original horn?

Nice looking job. I also think the stock horn is not any good. Can you give a list of how do you get in there to get to take the old horn out and install a new one. Or where is the how to section?

Last edited:
yes you remove the old horn... it's very simple. Just a connector that needs to get unplugged and the bolt that holds the horn to the support. The same hole that holds that single horn there is on the other side so you can mount the 2nd horn. They fit perfectly, no drilling or cutting required of anything.

The only thing you have to do is the the single wire to go to the factory connecter with a male spade terminal. And the wiring between the two new hella horns, two wires that connect you'll need female spades. And one wire to ground the the horn... you'll have to follow the wiring guide I linked at the top. It's a bit simple, but I guess if you've never done wiring before you may want to get yourself a wiring kit and read up on how to do wiring cleanly and nice. I had some practice before as I had already installed the same horn's on an integra before.

Good information. I had previously replaced the horn on my old Honda FIT with a WOLO Bad Boy (so the wiring is not an issue) and it made all the difference in the world. The only problem I see with this car is getting to the mounting point. I can't even see the horn when looking all around the front with the hood up. It's not in front of the radiator, so where is it? I guess I could stick my head under there and just have the dog lean on the steering wheel (no significant other)...... :)
Thanks.

yes you remove the old horn... it's very simple. Just a connector that needs to get unplugged and the bolt that holds the horn to the support. The same hole that holds that single horn there is on the other side so you can mount the 2nd horn. They fit perfectly, no drilling or cutting required of anything.

The only thing you have to do is the the single wire to go to the factory connecter with a male spade terminal. And the wiring between the two new hella horns, two wires that connect you'll need female spades. And one wire to ground the the horn... you'll have to follow the wiring guide I linked at the top. It's a bit simple, but I guess if you've never done wiring before you may want to get yourself a wiring kit and read up on how to do wiring cleanly and nice. I had some practice before as I had already installed the same horn's on an integra before.
How did you get to the old horn, cause a few of us were trying to and are afraisd to break the clips. I wanna get rid of the stock horn and get the stock horn from a cx-9... it sounds alot better.

I think I will also upgrade my CX-5's horn soon. It sounds like a joke and worse than most subcompact cars. :(

Back