Really odd issue when starting vehicle - Voice Control

Locotiki

:
CX-5 AWD Touring
For the last 3-4 days when I start my CX-5 I hear "Stopping Voice Control". It repeats this 3 times and then stops. I tried starting with my Iphone plugged in and not plugged in to see if that had something to do with it but it doesn't seem to matter. It does this at least once in every three starts. Earlier in the first day this issue started I noticed that the display would no longer show track info when playing music from my iPhone. It was playing the music fine on both Bluetooth and via USB but the display fields were filled with random characters that didn't make sense. That only happened once for a short drive home, and later that day when I started the car is when the "Stopping Voice Control" issue started. The audio system and display seem to be working fine since then. Probably two unrelated issues but just in case someone else heard about it I thought I would bring it up.
Thanks

I think this issue ties into your Blue Tooth on the I phone. I noticed that my I Phone 4, that connects automatically to the CX-5 upon my approaching the car also screws with my radio system in the car. When I am in the car with the Iphone, I cannot get the speaker on the iPhone to work in that it now wants to use the cars speaker. I do not have the "fix" other than to say that I think it is a Bluetooth issue and how you and I have it set up.

I think this issue ties into your Blue Tooth on the I phone. I noticed that my I Phone 4, that connects automatically to the CX-5 upon my approaching the car also screws with my radio system in the car. When I am in the car with the Iphone, I cannot get the speaker on the iPhone to work in that it now wants to use the cars speaker. I do not have the "fix" other than to say that I think it is a Bluetooth issue and how you and I have it set up.

All I know is that it seemed to start after the latest ios update. Today I tried to have it navigate to an address using voice control and when I hit the little mic button on the nav screen it says "voice control not available in your country". No clue???

Also, another issue surfaced.. not sure if it's related. In the last few days at least three times when getting an incoming call music from my iPhone would start streaming and playing in the background while on the call. Twice this happened while the audio was turned off.

Last edited:
Not an IPhone issue. My GT CX-5 AWD started doing the exact same thing Monday after routine service at the dealership. When I start the car, I hear "Stopping Voice Control" three times as well. When I attempt to use voice control for navigation I hear "voice control cannot be used for the currently selected country." Today it switched to "voice control cannot be used for the currently selected language."

I carry a Blackberry which connects automatically via Bluetooth when the car is started; that's why I know it's not the IPhone. I suppose that does not rule out a Bluetooth issue, though. In any case, I find it incredibly frustrating that now there is NO method by which I can enter a navigation address while the car is moving. I will be visiting the dealership again on Wednesday morning and will post whatever they tell me.

Not an IPhone issue. My GT CX-5 AWD started doing the exact same thing Monday after routine service at the dealership. When I start the car, I hear "Stopping Voice Control" three times as well. When I attempt to use voice control for navigation I hear "voice control cannot be used for the currently selected country." Today it switched to "voice control cannot be used for the currently selected language."

I carry a Blackberry which connects automatically via Bluetooth when the car is started; that's why I know it's not the IPhone. I suppose that does not rule out a Bluetooth issue, though. In any case, I find it incredibly frustrating that now there is NO method by which I can enter a navigation address while the car is moving. I will be visiting the dealership again on Wednesday morning and will post whatever they tell me.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone but not so happy to hear that it sounds like a real issue. Today I turned Bluetooth off on my phone before getting in and starting it up and it still did the "stopping voice control" thing. Mine hasn't said anything about language yet, just selected country. At least it seems to do it all the time now so I can show the dealer. I'm due for regular service in a week or so and I'll bring it up. Please let me know what you find out. Curious, I remember reading that there was a nav update recently. I haven't done it yet, have you? Can't see how this would matter though, if it was a flaw in the older software version it would have showed itself earlier. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks for responding.

I did not have time to run by the dealership on Wednesday. However, I played with all the settings in the Navigation unit for quite some time today attempting to remedy the problem - nothing seemed to work. Finally, I thought why not pop out the SD card to reset everything, and it worked!! So, with the vehicle turned OFF, slide the SD car slot door open and eject the card (push it to pop out) for about 1 minute or so. Place the card back in the slot, close the door completely, and restart the CX-5. It will take a few moments longer than normal for the Navigation to load, but it cleared up the glitch we are experiencing. The question now is if the "fix" will last or not.

I. Finally, I thought why not pop out the SD card to reset everything, and it worked!! So, with the vehicle turned OFF, slide the SD car slot door open and eject the card (push it to pop out) for about 1 minute or so. Place the card back in the slot, close the door completely, and restart the CX-5. ... The question now is if the "fix" will last or not.
This has happened to me twice. Once abut 6 weeks ago, and the other yesterday. The "fix" was as described- remove SD card, replace SD card.

I would add that since I updated the software, the voice control in the NB1 (not the car itself) seems to have gone from 70%+ accuracy to almost 0%

Same problem in my '13 CX-9. Just started a week ago or so. It doesn't bother me enough yet to toy around with anything.

my wifes cx5 has had this problem, its just the bad tomtom, not the car, updated her software and it seems to be ok for now....

Just to clarify, it's not just a CX-5 issue. My 2013 Mazda 3 with the same nav, has the same issue. Thanks for posting up though so I know it isn't only me.

Back