How to jack up your CX-5

kampfire

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD w/ Tech Package
Anyone have any pro tips for jacking up their CX-5s? Owners manual says pinch weld but I never trust them. Perhaps I need to pick up one of those specialized jack attachments for pinch welds.

I got this idea from another forum: I use a good solid 'real' hockey puck with a notch cut down one of the flat sides. It fits over the pinch weld so the jack doesn't crush the pinch weld.

One of the specialized attachments would probably be better but my jack doesn't have an opening for one to fit.

Liability Disclaimer: You will likely end up dead and injured and annoyed if you follow my advice with anything dangerous like supporting a car....

this isn't my photo, but here's a photo of the idea (I cut a narrower notch in mine):
dsc050591.jpg

just buy a pinch weld adapter, worth the investment
hockey pucks are an alternative as well but they crack and break as well.

just buy a pinch weld adapter, worth the investment .

as long as your jack can take one. The jack shown in the picture doesn't have a hole in the center of the lifting surface. It is solid under the rubber pad that is there.

What about the dimpled area under the engine, it looks like a jack lift area?

Yea looking at the pinch weld area theres plastic on both sides. Gotta be careful not to have a slot too deep on the jack i guess.

What about the dimpled area under the engine, it looks like a jack lift area?

Can you provide a photo for the area your thinking of?

There should be visible jacking spots under the vehicle on or near the pinch welds near the tires at either end. I'd stay away from the engine area (i.e. oil pan), if you guys don't want to use the pinch welds, try under the control arms, near the tires.

Always use a jack stand with your jack.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the hardened areas of the pinch welds which are made to jack up and support the car's weight.
IMG_20130103_220549.jpg

I have circled the dimples which signify the jack spot. It is between these raised dimples that you want to place the jack or stand. There are four total, two front, two rear.

I have always just used a hardened 2X4 on pinch welds without issue. Yeah, maybe not the safest...

But I have had my CX-5 up in he air several times and I haven't had a problem damaging the pinches by dropping the car down on stands and resting the photographed jack zone on the stand pedestals. So meh...take it for it is worth.

Last edited:
The frame rails underneath the middle of the car and the control arms are the safest bets in my opinion. I do recall a place that sold adaptors for jack stands that can fit into the pinch welds. Forgot the name of the site but a Google search should yield results.

The frame rails underneath the middle of the car and the control arms are the safest bets in my opinion. I do recall a place that sold adaptors for jack stands that can fit into the pinch welds. Forgot the name of the site but a Google search should yield results.

$22 on Amazon... I think I'm going to add this to my shopping cart. I usually jack most of my cars from the cross member but the pinch weld adapter would be safer and easier to access.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Just the other day I finally got around (now that I have two Mazdas with pinch-weld jacking points!) to purchasing a hockey puck for $2.25 from the local ice rink. Cut a groove in it and added a piece of plywood blocking so it fits my jack perfectly. Works like a champ!

But I have had my CX-5 up in he air several times and I haven't had a problem damaging the pinches by dropping the car down on stands and resting the photographed jack zone on the stand pedestals. So meh...take it for it is worth.

Where does everyone put their jack stands? I may try the spots in the picture but how do you put a stand there if you are also jacking it up there?

Years of working on my wife's Miata have shown me that there's really no more strength in the designated jacking portion of the pinchweld than anywhere else on it. I usually just jack the car up at the jack point and then place a jack stand right next to it on the pinchweld.

Years of working on my wife's Miata have shown me that there's really no more strength in the designated jacking portion of the pinchweld than anywhere else on it. I usually just jack the car up at the jack point and then place a jack stand right next to it on the pinchweld.
whoa now, Ive had 4 miatas and built one into a racecar and Miatas are very different from typical unibody cars. You can jack up a miata from any point along the bottom. You cant do that to most other cars, you will bend sheetmetal.

whoa now, Ive had 4 miatas and built one into a racecar and Miatas are very different from typical unibody cars. You can jack up a miata from any point along the bottom. You cant do that to most other cars, you will bend sheetmetal.
How is an MX-5 pinchweld any different from a CX-5 pinchweld or a pinchweld on any other car (Mazda?) for that matter?

I read through the thread, and also checked my under-body yesterday, and read the workshop manual. Still need help on where to lift on the rear.
So, here's an actual photo from my rear (AWD). Which place do you use to jack up?
Red or green or blue? I think it's the red part as it looks most thick, or at least it has some flat area. And seems like it fits the description of a "pinch-weld". (had to look up google picture for that type of weld)

2014-07-19 15.03.07.jpg

Good god man, isn't that the rear diff? If you try to jack your car up there it could be a VERY expensive mistake.

Seriously, the manual CLEARLY shows on page 7-9 that the jack point is at the OUTSIDE of the car near the rear tire, NOT in the middle.

[EDIT] It looks like there is a household door in the background of your photo? The proper jack point looks like it is way out where the car outline meets that door.

Last edited:
Good god man, isn't that the rear diff? If you try to jack your car up there it could be a VERY expensive mistake.

Seriously, the manual CLEARLY shows on page 7-9 that the jack point is at the OUTSIDE of the car near the rear tire, NOT in the middle.

I would use the factory jack point when using the supplied jack should a roadside tire change ever be necessary. In my shop I use a floor jack on the protruding piece pictured in the photo (red circle I believe). I can change both rear wheels with one jack procedure. The rear differential is plenty well supported for this.

[EDIT] It looks like there is a household door in the background of your photo? The proper jack point looks like it is way out where the car outline meets that door.

What are you talking about? That's what the workshop manual says, to jack up the rear differential. I just didn't know for sure which exact area it is because it's not flat when I creeped under.

See attached.
Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 2.05.00 PM.png

I have a low profile floor jack, so I was thinking of lifting the center, then placing two jack stands (a little bit front of the rear tires) on the two sides for support. Then lift the front center on the area specified in the workshop manual, and put two jack stands on front sides.

So I'll probably have to make some kind of an adapter or something for the red circled area. Or do I? Should I just use my floor jack to jack that up? It's so shiny, it looks like scratching it won't do any harm related to rust.
I have a cheap floor jack ($25) by the way.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2-1-2-Ton-Low-Profile-Jack-Kit-HD00112/204835238?keyword=hd00112

Last edited:
OK, I misunderstood your first post. I thought that you had completely misinterpreted where to use the included regular jack......

Back