DIY: CX-5 Door Sills

I really like the OEM illuminated door sills from the EU, but they are cost prohibitive for me. Taking some tips from other CX-5 owners, I ordered a set of stainless CX-5 door sills from a Chinese seller on eBay.

The sills arrived within 2 weeks and in excellent condition. After a bit of clean-up I installed the sills.

The sills do have 3M tape pre-attached, but with the foot abuse these sills can take, I added a bit more 3M tape that I had left over from another project. The install was easy and took about an hour.

Complete set of door sills:
cx-5-door-sills.jpg

3M tape was pre-attached, but I added a bit more for foot abuse.
cx-5-door-sills-proj-001.jpg

I added small sections of 3M tape at the arrows. Notice I did not cover any of the embossed design.
cx-5-door-sills-proj-002.jpg

I cleaned the sill area with soapy water, dried thoroughly, then used alcohol pads to remove any oils.
After lining up the sills, I used painters tape to keep alignment.
cx-5-door-sills-proj-003.jpg

Passenger door completed
cx-5-door-sills-proj-004.jpg

Front sill, again using painters tape for alignment.
cx-5-door-sills-proj-005.jpg

Front door completed.
cx-5-door-sills-proj-006.jpg

Looks great! Are they OEM?
"I really like the OEM illuminated door sills from the EU, but they are cost prohibitive for me. Taking some tips from other CX-5 owners, I ordered a set of stainless CX-5 door sills from a Chinese seller on eBay."(scratch)

They look great. I just ordered my Chinese set the other day on ebay. Hope they come as quick as yours did. I have heard it can take over 3 weeks sometimes. Can't wait to get mine installed.

They look great. I just ordered my Chinese set the other day on ebay. Hope they come as quick as yours did. I have heard it can take over 3 weeks sometimes. Can't wait to get mine installed.

One thing I noticed...they stink...like diesel fuel or hydraulic fluid or something. I let them sit outside for a day to air out.

One thing I noticed...they stink...like diesel fuel or hydraulic fluid or something. I let them sit outside for a day to air out.
Looks great, thanks for the pics! I have the same ones - that was a good idea to add more 3M tape, I wish I would've done that. Oh well... next time! :)
The smell will go away - I had the same concern, now it's all aired out.

for those looking for more 3m tape, they're also known as vhb. they're considered one of the strongest in the world, depending on application. the history channel's modern marvels dedicated an episode to this stuff. :)

thanks for sharing pics of the install. nice to get things visually.

Back