Buying a new CX5 Maxx

SJH308

:
CX5
Forum experts, I need your guidance. I am contemplating trading in my Tribute that has done 200,000 kms and is ready to retire, and purchase a new CX5 (petrol model called Maxx in Australia - base model only).

1. What are the known significant issues or bugs still evident in the CX5 as at November 2012 that I need to be aware of ?

2. Of the issues listed in point 1, which need to be absolutely called out when I go in to purchase - to ensure I get the right level of new car inspection and corrections made before I take delivery ?

3. I have come across several articles that seem to point to battery issues, incorrect warning light illumination or iSTOP problems.... can you elaborate on any of these ?

Look forward to receiving your feedback and advice

Steve

I've had my petrol cx-5 for 3 months now and have no issues to report so far, but I guess its still early on. Like with any new models released there are always some issues that are resolved in Series II, so if you're concerned with problems maybe you should hang on until series II is released, also 2.5l engine is also coming in early 2013 but I am not sure if that means series II release at the same time.

Steve here in Australia it seems the petrol variant has less issues then the poor diesel. I feel for those guys.

Honestyl I am not aware of any major bugs after spending time reading 'whirlpool' CX-5 threads, here etc.

Minor bugs... perhaps the drivers side mirror has a vibration when doing around 90-100km.

With the typre pressure monitoring there is an issue where the light does come on without actual reason. Seems it is not an actual read of pressure as much as taking the info for the ABS etc. My solution is to turn off that function and just check my tyres visually when I approach my car.

I have had no battery issues, I have read a few people have had this but it is not common.

i-stop.... love it. BUT saying that there is a list as long as your arm and then again of conditions that need to be met for it to work. What the dealer did not tell me is that the car needs to have run at least 250 - 300 km BEFORE it kicks in.

I have no issues at all with the car that would prevent me from recommending to anyone.

Love it!!!!!!!!!

With the typre pressure monitoring there is an issue where the light does come on without actual reason. Seems it is not an actual read of pressure as much as taking the info for the ABS etc. My solution is to turn off that function and just check my tyres visually when I approach my car.

First I'll say this car seems to be very well sorted already - I would buy another in a flash!

Zeal-Girl, I would encourage you to give the tire pressure monitoring system another go. It is important to reset it properly to begin with - after that it should work unobtrusively. If not you have a warranty issue.

I believe the issue people run into with the TPMS is that all tires are not of the proper pressure when the system is initialized. Even if the tire pressure gauge is accurate and every tire reads the same, the pressure may vary based upon each tire being a different temperature when the tires were checked. The manual mentions checking pressure before driving but it does not mention sunlight induced temperature variations which can be considerable. Measure pressures first thing in the morning before the sun has risen or after the car has been parked indoors for the night. Also, measure the pressure of each tire carefully twice, attempting to get them as close as practical to the same pressure. Then turn on the ignition (two pushes of the start button without pressing the brake) and press an hold the TPMS button until you hear a beep and the TPMS icon on the dash flashes twice. If this does not work it sounds like a warranty issue to me.

It sounds like you like your CX-5 as much as I do!

thank you Mike!!!!! I do need to look into it further.

Like... it is a car love affair with the CX-5 :)

Back