Plasti Dip bra for winter driving

mclark999

:
2013 CX-5 Sport AWD Automatic
Won't be long before Colorado has sand on the roads for the snow and ice. I decided to try a Plasti Dip bra on my CX-5. Took about an hour including masking time and about 2 cans of Plasti Dip. I followed the directions from dipyourcar.com regarding painting just sections so I could get a nice clean line on the hood.

I think it turned out pretty well. I'll go ahead and do the mirrors too when I have time.

Certainly a lot cheaper than the $199 quote I got just to do the front of the hood and the mirrors.

P1050648.JPGP1050647.JPGP1050649.JPGP1050650.JPG

Looks great! What did you use to mask off the rest of the hood to create the clean lines?

That actually looks very very awesome, great job. I have a black CX-5 as well and I'm imagining the whole car with a black matte finish it would look sick. Although plastidip will not protect from stone chips and other debris it should certainly protect from sand/salt on roadways. Tell us how it is holding up within a month's time. I installed 3M Ventureshield on mine maybe I should plastidip over that clear film, wonder how that would come out.

P1050650.JPGP1050651.JPGIf you look at the first picture here, you can see I screwed up peeling the tape off near where the passenger headlight and grill come together. Fortunately Plasti Dip is pretty easy to repair and repaint with a little solvent. In the second picture, you can see what it looks like after the repair. If I'd taken a little more time, I could have smoothed out the repair even better. The main thing is now the spot isn't peeling up.

I saw that little booboo in first set of pics, it really looks good.

great idea! the whole car matte black would be nice.

That looks outstanding! I have been thinking about this as well, I also dipped my bright plastic on the top of the grille.
attachment.php

Niice! the top grill dip is sleek. Plasti dipping bra is genius! Now to remove it come spring, just peel?

if i was considering doing the entire car or entire painted panel pieces, i'd opt for vinyl wrap instead of plastidip. nice job guys on the matte pieces.

Back