Almost got my CX-5

:
CX-5 Touring AWD
I just found out from the dealer that my new CX-5 that was sitting at Port Newark, ready to go on the truck, was damaged in Hurricane Sandy and will have to be destroyed. I was so close ... another day and it would have been gone and clear of the storm. The dealer is now trying to find another one. He can't say when.

Dealer says that they lost 8 cars that were to be delivered. Not just Mazdas, but thousands of imports have been damaged at the Port. Could have a real impact on availability for the next few months.

While I feel your pain, things could always be worse! In 2008 the Cougar Ace car transport ship carrying 4703 new Mazdas foundered halfway between Japan and the US. Though most of the cars were not physically damaged, Mazda (and the insurers) decided that they had been under such durress that they could not be salvaged and destroyed them all. For those of you who have the stomach for such things, here is a Car & Driver video chronicling the demise of those vehicles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcpiF51gJRE

I love the ignorance of people posting comments on youtube, the guy crying about why they couldn't take the cars apart and use them as 'new parts'. Ummmm, because they aren't new. Just because they are on a new car doesn't make them new as they've been installed and the car has even been driven with them on it.
No customer is going to want to buy a 'new' part and find it has install marks on it. Yeah, just ignore the bolt marks on that expensive, genuine Mazda alternator, I'm sure it is just fine. And if they had tried to sell the parts as used they'd have gained a huge amount of liability if there were ever a problem with one of the parts.

The dealer is trying to find a trade for the one I was to get (CX-5 AWD Touring Metro Gray w/Tech). Fortunately I don't need a new vehicle right away but was hoping to not have to get my ten year old vehicle inspected at the end of this month.

JC-hbg - Sorry to hear about the delay in getting your CX-5. I hope it works out shortly, best of luck.

I ordered my CX-5 maybe two months ago. last week the dealer told me the boat was going to dock in NJ on tuesday, the day of the storm. It feels like i've been waiting forever, I can't imagine having to wait another 3+ months for another one to be made. I'm hoping my car was still on the boat at the time and it didn't get hurt. Going to have to ask my dealer as they have not been very good about giving out status updates.

I've read that Sandy damaged or destroyed 250,000 cars. Not sure if that includes new ones at the port or at any dealers.

UPDATE - I finally received my new CX-5 AWD Touring Metro Gray w/Tech. I'm very pleased with the vehicle.

We were lucky, our CX-5 AWD GT w/tech was ordered 7/25. About early Oct we were told it was due into port (Newark) on 10/31 and due at the dealer by 11/13. Well early november we were told the car "was still on the boat" - they had intentially left cars on the boat to protect them from the storm vs. sitting in port @ Newark. Don't know if the boat (RORO) actually stayed out to sea for the duration of the storm, or if had actually come in and tied up real well, or when it actually pulled into port. I suspect they stayed out to sea and anchored up vs. pulling into port. Long story short, the car arrived unharmed at the dealer on 11/21 and we picked it up on 11/23.

The sales manager had told us initially the wait would be 8-12 weeks, and the salesman said more like 12-16. The wait was no big deal for us, we waited 5 months for a VW Jetta TDI wagon back in 2002. And that time we actually got an identical car that was intended for someone else, but had cancelled their order. Our car was another 2-3 weeks out.

Back