Aftermarket intakes, who has one?

Mistersix

:
MAZDASPEED6
The only option seems to be Corksport. Does anyone have one installed on their CX-5? How does it perform? Is there a noticeable loss in low end torque?

This garnered alot of off topic discussion on another thread. Information that could be useful to others in the future but tough to find since it was in a suspension thread.

My opinion is a longer tube "cold air intake" would be best. The longer runner would promote torque at lower rpms as in some case's the short ram style intakes can lose some low end torque.

A little bump in Hp would go along way in this car. When i drive it with almost no fuel in it, it feels great. Acceleration is easy and climbing longs hills is better as well.

So, who's got one, who wants one, and what do you guys and gals think? Discuss......

On my previous car (1.8L Toyota Matrix) upgrading the intake was the single best mod I could have done, whether it was cold air intake (long tube, filter behind bumper) or short ram (short tube, exposed filter in engine bay) and I have owned/installed/reviewed both at different stages over the years. An intake cannot work miracles, a small engine will lack torque no matter what, but if I'm giving up a few ftlbs of torque below 2500rpm to make more torque and horsepower from 3000rpm to redline, then its worth it for me.

I will be purchasing one next month, from Corksport.
I respectfully agree to disagree with everyone else and will form my own opinion after installation and a few weeks of driving time.

The following post is based on personal experience with a Mazda 3 and Corksport SRI. In no way is this a marketing pitch for Corksport, but I love their business and the part design is IMO flawless. I had a good experience and am not ashamed to say it out loud.

I have the Corksport short ram intake on my Mazda 3 hatch with the 2.5L. From the time I bought the car, I always thought engine breathing was too restrictive, especially at high revs. It seems as though the car was about to gasp. I'm not an all out driver, but from time to time I love to get my car going. The SRI changed this.

From the time I had it installed, it's as if I drove a totally different car (NOTE : You could probably get the same feeling from ANY aftermarket intake). Breathing was better (especially in the high revs... WOW!), throttle response was better, sound was WAY better (much more growl at 50-100% throttle) and I didn't feel as though I lost much power/torque in the low end (at least, it didn't make enough of a difference for me to notice). Gas mileage hasn't changed much in the city (except now I tend to floor it more to hear the sound), but is a little better on the highway. The part did exactly what it was sold to do.

My two cents : sound is better, HP/torque is better past 3000 rpm and the best part for you family owners out there, when you drive your car NORMALLY, you don't hear the thing. Same at cruising speeds on the highway, nothing. The only time I hear it is when I floor it, which is exactly what I wanted (and the only way it could be wife approved).

So because of that, when I get my CX-5 during the next year, I will most probably buy one form Corksport again, as it served me so well. Plus, installation is easy (did it myself in 1h30) and I kept the oem airbox, so it's as easy to revert.

Back