CX-5 HID Fog Lights

Lukpookie

:
CX5 GrandTouring+Tech
Anyone here install a HiD on their fog lights? What is the bulb type for it?
Pictures of the after install would be great.

I am planning to change the fog lights to HiD but not sure of the look and type bulbs. I know that ddm tuning is the best source to get the hid kit. Thanks.

I tried to install HIDs in the fogs and had to return them. Yes they are H11s, same as the Low Beam on the Touring/GT (non-tech package) models. The only stickler is the the metal deflector inside the fog that caps the length of the bulb to a certain point. Its made to fit H11 halogen bulbs, which are about an inch shorter than HID bulbs. So upon installing, the bulb wouldn't fit, too long. So it was either take apart the fogs to remove the deflector or just buy after market H11 halogen bulbs. I just returned the HID kit and swapped them for the simpler method of a bulb swap. Someone said they put HIDs in the CX-5 stock Fogs, not sure if its US or Euro market though. Good luck

can't you get "fog light specific" hid's? They are usually shorter due to the clearance issues of most fog lights

can't you get "fog light specific" hid's? They are usually shorter due to the clearance issues of most fog lights

Is there such a thing? If so, you got a link? I've posted a similar topic when I couldnt fit the HID H11 bulbs in the fogs, no one had a solution rather than removing the deflector for more clearance. I've searched Amazon, Ebay, google...had no luck.

I looked inside of the fog light housing and saw 1 screw that holds the cap inside the housing. Did you try to remove it?

I haven't known any HID lamp to be worth a crap in a reflective housing.

Why not retrofit a projector into the fog? I'm sure it can be done if you are crafty enough. Probably even a way to aim them appropriately as well...

Idk I think mine turned ok. The fog light reflective housing is kinda small and looking at the garage door, there seems to be a defined separation between the lows and fogs. But what do I know. I just wanted brighter light at night.

Can you post a close up photo of the fog light, where i can see the hid bulbs in the foglight housing?
I bought a 3000K hid from ddm but unsure to open up and install.
Thanks. Greatly appreciated.

I haven't known any HID lamp to be worth a crap in a reflective housing.

Why not retrofit a projector into the fog? I'm sure it can be done if you are crafty enough. Probably even a way to aim them appropriately as well...

He's right. Fog lights especially are designed to throw light to the sides more as well as alot of foreground light. Ford Fusion fog lights are the best projector fogs out so far and are popular to retrofit. They also use H11 bulbs so no modifying of the wiring harness would be needed.

HID's in foglights will be practically useless. The glare from them will make it seem like they are brighter than the factory HID low beams when viewed above the cut off.

To install HID's in the fog, you will have to remove the foglight housing, use needle nose pliers, and crimp the bulb cap off. Fairly easy to do, granted you don't have wimpy hands.

I just ordered an HID kit from DDM. I will try to take pics of the install as well as before/after pics.

Back