CX-5 GT Snow Chains Question

deema

:
Zeal Red 2013 CX-5 GT + Tech Package
I own a 2013 CX-5 GT+Tech in California, and while I really don't need winter tires, I do need chains for the obligatory trips to the mountains. What chains have you bought? What do you recommend? I am looking to buy quick, since I am heading to the snow in two weeks. Any advice is appreciated, one with links to specific products is even better. Thanks!

Thank you! I actually ended up going to Pep Boys last evening and buying the exact model you linked to - SCC TZ729. I overpaid $20, of course, but I was somewhat in a rush.

I am perplexed why is the SCC chains sizing chart is flat out missing the 225/55R19 tire size, but Pep Boys assured me that these will fit.

Deema - I assume your CX-5 is front wheel drive.

In Austria ( and in most EU countries where required) you must have some sort of "additional traction" - either snow chains or (as I have) auto-socks. They fit various sizes as they're elastic.. and they do fulfill legal aspects.

http://www.autosock.com/

BR
Miki

Deema, Crenninger - Did you actually get to use the SCC TZ729 cable on the 19" Toyos? I have ordered it as well, fitted on the tire, and am a little bit worried because on the inside the steel cable gets pretty close to the suspension (but I did not have time to drive it to see if it actually makes contact or not).

Test fitted them. Didn't worry me
Last winter I went through 1.5 foot of fresh snow and AWD worked great no need for chain

What's the current policy on chains on the major highways in California (in Sierras) these days? Can somebody refresh us on this topic?

(In recent years AWD w/all season tires used to get you past "chain controls".)

Thanks Crenninger for letting us know your encounter with snow. Just to be on the safe side, I'll do a dry test with the SCC TZ729 cables and will let you posted of the outcome (if it makes contact with the suspention or not). I anyway hope that I'll not have to use it, putting on chains in the storm is not my favorite pastime.
On the other hand I can confirm that 2wd with all season tires is always a no-go without cables/chains at the California checkpoints. (I had a Mazda6). That's the primary reason I bought AWD this time :D

Necro bump...

Has anyone used cable bands on their gt with the 19 inch wheels? I am worried that any snow cable would damage the wheel since the tires are relatively low profile.

Im surprised that there isnt much discussion on this :0

Thanks for the link but there isnt any discussion on a cable bands themselves, just various laws for WA lol. I am looking for product reviews/recommendations with people who have used cable bands with the oem 19" wheels that come on the GT model. I know it would be easy for someone to say "just buy 17" wheels" but id like to make due with what I have for now seeing as I dont live where it snows, just occasional vacation travel.

Thanks for the link but there isnt any discussion on a cable bands themselves, just various laws for WA lol. I am looking for product reviews/recommendations with people who have used cable bands with the oem 19" wheels that come on the GT model. I know it would be easy for someone to say "just buy 17" wheels" but id like to make due with what I have for now seeing as I dont live where it snows, just occasional vacation travel.

Where I travel regularly the law says I need to carry chains when traveling the mountain highway when "chains required" is in effect during severe winter storms. But I feel comfortable without them due to the CX-5's natural ability in the snow combined with having four winter tires and AWD. It would be a cold day in hell when a State trooper would give me a ticket for not having chains in the vehicle.

But, to answer your question, I believe the OEM 19" setup is the same overall size as the OEM 17" and would use the same size chains. Whether Mazda approves of chains at all should be covered in the Owner's Manual. In my experience, the most important aspects of chains is that they are held tightly to the tread by any method of securing them. Secondarily, the lighter they are, the faster you can travel with them installed. The two go hand/hand. If you will be doing big miles with chains installed then you need to consider durability.

But chains are evil, I've always avoided needing them (with a certain degree of success).

Unfortunately I do not have the AWD model and am aware of the laws and common sense of keeping chains with you while in the mountains. Just want to know if they will damage the stock 19s, if anyone has tried. The manual says "chains may damage aluminum wheels" which is honestly something that every car manual says.

Just want to know if they will damage the stock 19s, if anyone has tried. The manual says "chains may damage aluminum wheels" which is honestly something that every car manual says.

People who drive in winter weather a lot generally avoid tire setups with low aspect ratio's like the GT's 225/45/19's. That said, you may be able to fit some descent cable chains without causing wheel damage if you find a set that is almost too small for your setup. It is difficult to take the slop out of chains that fit too big.

This morning on my way to the ski mountain I passed by an AWD CX-5 on the side of the road chaining up, for a good reason, it had all-season radials and conditions were full-on winter storm. The transition zone was particularly treacherous but the CX-5 with winter rubber/no chains made it like a walk in the park. I wouldn't have chained up this morning even if I had the FWD model with winter rubber (although I would carry them in the vehicle).

Short skis suck and so do tire chains. Use winter tires that are not at the end of life and don't worry about your chains damaging your wheels.

Back