Winter tires in GTA

geekjim

:
CX-5 2013
I just moved to greater toronto area and bought my CX-5 yesterday. I am now looking around for winter tires.
Do you guys recommend buying from www.tirerack.com or you guys know any good deal from tire stores in GTA area?

Thanks

where abouts in the GTA are you?
i am planning to change mine on the weekend of 15th

if i manage to get a good deal i will post it here

Cool. I actually plan to do that this weekend as well.

I am in North York.

I'll post what I'll find as well.

I just ordered from Tirerack.com. Got a winter package of General Altimax Arctic 225/65/17 on Sport Edition F7. I had the General Altimax Arctics on my Mazda 6 previously and they were great tires for a very reasonable price. This package was $1,012 (all inclusive) and is being shipped to my father-in-law in Pennsylvania so we can install them there. The shipping cost was much lower and no taxes are applicable. I'm hoping the fit will be fine. The specs seemed to match fine and the rims come with centering rings for the 67.1mm hub.

Yeah. General Altimax Arctics seems a good choice.
The extra fees/taxes to get from tirerack.com to Toronto is crazy. Going to NY would be my last option...

This is the quote I received from tires23

$1380 for a set of 225/65/17 Genearl Altimax Arctic winter tires & 17" Alloy F2 ($1345 after $35 rebate)

I just moved to greater toronto area and bought my CX-5 yesterday. I am now looking around for winter tires.
Do you guys recommend buying from www.tirerack.com or you guys know any good deal from tire stores in GTA area?

Thanks

If you are still shopping around, check out tiretrends.com I've purchased two separate orders from them in the past for my P5.
Found the prices were decent and their customer service was pretty good. They are Canadian, so shipping is relatively low.

Hi there

Hard to say from here but I am sure that Pirelli Winter Carving Edge are available in Canada. I have used them on a Toyota and been so happy with them. So, now I got a new set from my CX-5 (225/65/17). I leave in Romania, Europe so the price might not be relevant for you; the performance is great. Especially for the sort of winter you get there. They are amazing in the snow and ice. Studabble but I've never been bothered with that. Standard are more than enough in heavy snow. Very good on the wet and dry, not noisy and excellent life span. On my Toyota they now have 32,000 Km (abt 20,000 miles) and still ok.
I have used them only during the winter (usually from November to end of March) then switched to summer tires.
Reasonably priced, I am now at the second set. Never had problems with my first set. Not very sporty (rated to max 170 km/h) but who drives that fast in the winter? They may not be as sporty as Pirelli Snow Sport or some other models from premium manufacturers but when the going gets tough there are no better tires.

Thanks guys.

I ended up buying General Altimax Arctic 225/65/17 and RTX Zen alloy wheels for 13xx in all from Simplytire.
They seems to have good reputation on RFD.

Anyway, for the next set (maybe 5 yrs later) I'll probably buy the tires from the states to save some taxes.

I'm a little late on this thread, but I fully recommend SimplyTire if you're in the GTA. They're a sponsor on the torontomazda3.ca boards, that's how I found them. Consistently great service, and very competitive pricing.

Picked up a set of 17" Hankook RW11 iPike on steelies for $975+hst, mounted, balanced, installed. If you're interested, send Allen an email (allen@simplytire.com).

I just ordered from Tirerack.com. Got a winter package of General Altimax Arctic 225/65/17 on Sport Edition F7. I had the General Altimax Arctics on my Mazda 6 previously and they were great tires for a very reasonable price. This package was $1,012 (all inclusive) and is being shipped to my father-in-law in Pennsylvania so we can install them there. The shipping cost was much lower and no taxes are applicable. I'm hoping the fit will be fine. The specs seemed to match fine and the rims come with centering rings for the 67.1mm hub.

Further to me earlier posting -- It's been a while and the set up is great. We were in heavy snow in Western NY and Pennsylvania after Christmas and the tires were amazing. The rims are perfect and the handling at high speed is excellent for snow tires. I can't believe how much more Canadians pay for their rims and tires. It's time that Canadian retailers became more client focused and sharpened their pencils a little. It would stop all the cross border shopping. The 13% tax here in ON also makes a big difference. I can't believe PA does not tax internet transactions.

Last edited:
The laws for levying sales tax on internet transactions in the US are a little wonky, essentially there's no tax unless the retailer has a physical presence within the state of purchase. Someone in PA would pay sales tax buying online from a PA based company, but not a company based in New York, Ohio, New Jersey, or anywhere else... I shudder to think about how obnoxious dealing with exchange rates, shipping costs, and tarrifs could be when buying across international boundaries

Latest posts

Back