USB issues

medic705

:
2013 CX-5 GT
I bought a brand new USB stick, transfered music from my PC onto it, plugged it into my CX-5 and everything works fine. Recently I unplugged it to add more songs and it is now unrecognizable by both my PC and vehicle. Nothing shows up as connected on either device. This has happend twice now with 2 different USB devices. The dealer had no idea and didnt try very hard to find a solution to the problem. Anyone else have this happen?

Think of a USB stick as a fragile device. I have worked in IT Support for 20 years and they fail regularly. On a Windows Computer you would (or should) use the "safe unplug" feature. On your Car I suggest you turn the motor completely off before unplugging.
Just my 2c worth. Have a big range of USB sticks for my classical music on my nex CX-5 and they work fine BUT I only use good brands (I like Sandisk Cruzer blade 8Gb since they are big enough so you don't get a huge folder list and don't have an annoying cap to get lost). You might get better results with a quality Stick.

I just bought a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit. Overkill on the capacity but very small. Just make sure that the the flash drive is formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS. I tried converting the drive to NTFS for better file maintenance and flexibility, but it didn't work, the deck wouldn't read the stick.

I just bought a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit. Overkill on the capacity but very small. Just make sure that the the flash drive is formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS. I tried converting the drive to NTFS for better file maintenance and flexibility, but it didn't work, the deck wouldn't read the stick.

How many songs did you fit on it ?

How many songs did you fit on it ?

Of the 32GB, I'm currently occupying 3.37GB. I have my music sorted by artist/band folders. 122 Folders with a total of 598 songs.
I bought a 16GB to replace the 32GB. I stayed with the Cruzer Fit line of drives because of its size. When plugged in, it sticks out about half a cm.
My only minor complaint is that the directory starts from A when need to get to M or N.

I couldn't stand even the 30-40sec read time for a full, fast 16gb drive. So I put together a bunch of tiny 2GB-4GB flash drives (Verbatim TUFF-N-TINY) on a key ring organized by genre (jazz, pop/rock/blues, soundtracks, classical, celtic). These start up in about 5 seconds. It's not too hard to switch between them, at least when stopped.

By the way, I found a utility called mp3dirsorter was just the thing for getting the system to actually play the folders and tracks in alphabetical order rather than the nearly random sequence in which they were copied to the drive by Windows.

I couldn't stand even the 30-40sec read time for a full, fast 16gb drive. So I put together a bunch of tiny 2GB-4GB flash drives (Verbatim TUFF-N-TINY) on a key ring organized by genre (jazz, pop/rock/blues, soundtracks, classical, celtic). These start up in about 5 seconds. It's not too hard to switch between them, at least when stopped.

By the way, I found a utility called mp3dirsorter was just the thing for getting the system to actually play the folders and tracks in alphabetical order rather than the nearly random sequence in which they were copied to the drive by Windows.

Hmmm. I have a 16GB drive and my 3000 or so songs get scanned and ready to play in 5-10 seconds...Maybe because I have them in folders with 250 songs each...

I am using a Lexar 32GB stick with 4000+ songs on it all sorted by band and album in folders. It takes several minutes to read through all of the folders. It's really annoying. I'm considering getting a couple of smaller, faster sticks. I could easily deal with 30-40 sec load times. Also, I only unplug the stick from the car when it is completely shut down. So far no problems with reading on PC or in car.

Edit: I went through this weekend and cleaned up the number of folders and extra files. Now everything is organized by band. Load times are now down to 10 sec.

Last edited:
So what is the preferred or "optimal" organization? If you have a Genre folder with artist subfolders, when you activate shuffle, does it descend into the subfolders?

I have 12 subfolders with 250 songs each on a 16GB USB chip. Shuffle works only on a single folder (250 songs). It does not work accross folders. This makes the initial USB read fairly quick (5-10 seconds when I start the car).

I think the logic does not like more than 255 items in any root/subfolder. For the geeks among you this makes sense as 2 to the power of 8 is 256 (frequently used in the world of IT).

Last edited:
You can have it shuffle across *all* folders, though, but touching the shuffle icon twice. Then I guess you can't shuffle only subfolders in a particular root folder. :(

Last edited:
Hmm. The manual actually states that you cannot have more than 512 song files on a disk!
"A single disc with up to 512 files can be played and a single folder with up to 255 files can be played."
This must be incorrect if you play 12x250 tracks.

Also, as many have figured out, the player only respects 1 level of folders. It displays all lowest-level folders in the same top-level list onscreen, no matter how you organize the files. If this is the way they do it, then Mazda should give us a sort/search/filter capability!

we need to all go to mymazda.com and submit suggestions/complaints about mazdas handling of mp3's particularly on the usb
the player needs to be more robust in handling odd file bitrates or adjustments (volume leveling or id3 data) and supporting standard .m3u playlists

Back