Aftermarket advanced keyless entry

Z0RrO

:
Mazda, CX-5, GS
Hi,

My new CX-5 does not have the advanced keyless entry but my guess is that the wiring is all there along with the "detection field". I guess we are just missing the request button. What do you guys think about it ?

Thanks

i'd like to know about this also. also considering a viper system with smartstart tech so i can just use my phone

I'm guessing the wiring harness may be there, to a point, but I doubt any of the extra sensors and stuff are there, Mazda wouldn't install these on cars not equipped from the factory as it is wasteful economically speaking to do so. Even if the cost were only a few bucks per vehicle, think about it over 100,000+ vehicles. No company is going to leave cash like that. Still, if you find that you just need a few more parts, then wonderful, call me wrong! But I doubt that I am.

To make it work, you would need the button, antenna, a computer (with software) and wires. My guess is that the wires are already installed since it is easy for the assembler. The advanced keyless entry would use the same antenna used for proximity inside the car and finally, I would see no interest of having different firmware for the same car with different options.

This is just my two cents. I will have to look inside the door to make sure what kind of wire is there

If you look at the service manual, electrical wiring you will see that the advanced system does have several extra sensors for detection of the fob outside the car. It also has the extra button switch in the doors. Something in the programming does not give the non advanced car the options to select that come with advance....

I am also looking to do the same. I have 2014 CX-5 GT. Its such an idiotic thing Mazda did by providing Push button ignition but no button on door handles to enter the car key less. So I can start the car without taking key out of my pocket but I cannot get into it....oh come on, use your common sense. They should have added the BSM to the tech package but adding the "advanced" (which is not that advanced in the cars now a days) keyless entry is plain stupid. I would definitely want to add that facility but didn't want to pay for $1600 as after having smart phones Navigation is of no use.

Any help would be really great. I hope somebody finds it out and let us know.

Its such an idiotic thing Mazda did

I'm pretty happy with it the way it is.
I don't have to take the key out of my pocket to push the unlock button in a parking lot as it is easy to go by feel. I don't have to hit a button on the door handle before other people can get in. The remote works from pretty much the longest distance of any remote I've had so I can unlock the door from a long ways away so that whoever gets to it first can get in without waiting. The doors don't automatically lock when I get out of range after parking it in the garage. Even if you take the key out of your pocket to unlock the door it is nice not to have to keep it out while you get things put away and into the car to be able to start it or have to try to dig it back out of your pocket once you are seated. If I hit the lock button from close enough to hear the door locks clunk I don't have to look back to see the lights flash or hit it a second time to hear it honk. However if it is noisy I can just hit the button twice to make sure it is locked.

I'll take the BSM over advanced keyless any day in a car with a beltline that raises up as much as this one does towards the back. But that is just me and I'd bet if you asked a dozen people they'd come up with features beyond these two that were more important to them that are missing. Where's my power lift gate that opens when I wave my foot under the bumper? Where is the most basic of alarm that will honk the horn if a door is opened? (2013 tech packages had it but no others)

But there is the classic problem with options and packages. People put different priorities on different features and they can't feasibly put every feature in there to make everyone happy all the time and still be competitive in price.

I hear that. I passed on the tech package without really researching it and am really bummed and regretting not having the adaptive HID lights. I had a 2010 GT 3s and they were standard, the tech package added nav, push button start and a couple other features not important to me. I assumed it was the same deal with the cx5 GT. I really wanted the HID lights and was kinda peeved they rolled them into the tech package and I didn't realize it. The salesman kinda made a mistake and told me the GT had HID just not the adaptive headlights. Now after the factI feel it would have been worth it for the HID and advanced entry, If I could I would go back and just pay the extra for the tech package.

I still love my new car and my fiance has a new escape with the advanced keyless entry and power lift gate and I feel I could live without them if I just had the adaptive HID headlights. I ordered a HID kit but now hearing how bad of an idea that may have been I currently did the H9 conversion. Maybe one day I can just order aftermarket headlights built for HID or go retrofit if really worth it. Unfortunately all of these things will probably cost more to add after the fact than if I just ponied up the money for the tech package off the gate. Oh well you live and you learn and its still a great car either way.

Last edited:
If I could I would go back and just pay the extra for the tech package.

Yep, I've thought the same. I didn't pay much attention to it when I was shopping and mine doesn't have it but the tech package was such a good price that you didn't have to really want all the features for it to still be worth while.

Problem is you have to buy both Bose/Moonroof AND tech, just to get tech. That's nearly $4 grand with taxes.

Problem is you have to buy both Bose/Moonroof AND tech, just to get tech. That's nearly $4 grand with taxes.

True. That's exactly what I did and it sucked twice as bad because I really DIDN'T want the silly moonroof. But the Bose is a nice upgrade and so I didn't need to drop $1000 or more at a car audio shop and the Tech headlights are worth every penny for my needs. If I lived in a big city, not so much.

I'm pretty happy with it the way it is.
I don't have to take the key out of my pocket to push the unlock button in a parking lot as it is easy to go by feel. I don't have to hit a button on the door handle before other people can get in. The remote works from pretty much the longest distance of any remote I've had so I can unlock the door from a long ways away so that whoever gets to it first can get in without waiting.

Same here. The remote can be operated without removing it from my pocket and the range is phenomenal! None of my other cars work at half the distance. When I am old and have dementia I hope cars are still available with this kind of range on the remote, loll!

But there is the classic problem with options and packages. People put different priorities on different features and they can't feasibly put every feature in there to make everyone happy all the time and still be competitive in price.

So true but I wish it were not so.

Yep, I've thought the same. I didn't pay much attention to it when I was shopping and mine doesn't have it but the tech package was such a good price that you didn't have to really want all the features for it to still be worth while.

Yeah now looking back $1700 is not bad for everything it gets you but when I thought it was just navigation, advanced entry, and the mirror I figured I could do without no problem and just add the mirror later cheap or something but that's when I thought it had everything like my grand touring 3s had.

Back