2012 LA Auto Show CX-5 Engine Upgrade Announcement

I would like either of the engine upgrades but would lean towards the 2.5L. Since Mazda already announced the 2013 engine specs, the new engine option(s) would come as a mid-year (2013 1/2) upgrade or wait until the 2014 model year. My thought is Mazda wants to make it available ASAP since lack of power is the CX-5's biggest criticism. Maybe we will see it via a new model introduction, I.e., GTS with some other "bells and whistles". We should find out soon enough.

I'll see if they announce anything at SF car show Thanksgiving weekend.

The first link made a mistake with the diesel engine hp. If North America gets a diesel, its Mazda's higher output diesel which is 170hp, not 150.

I'm hoping for the diesel. It would do just fine in the performance department, would "force" people that want a more powerful CX-5 to get the diesel, its also already available elsewhere, and would return even better fuel economy in addition of having all that torque.

Both the 175hp and 150hp diesel engines are a masterpiece.

The 175 version gives more torque over a wider rev range that the BMW X3 2l, UK version.
The 150 is quick, but as i tow a caravan I'm looking to buy the 175.

I'll see if they announce anything at SF car show Thanksgiving weekend.
San Francisco is not considered a major show; nothing ever gets announced there. LA opens a few days after SF closes. That's where you'll see the announcement. Has anyone noticed the recent Mazda ads in Autoweek (and no doubt elsewhere) "introducing" the racing variant of the 2.2 diesel? There's your tip-off as to what the LA show announcement will involve.

San Francisco is not considered a major show; nothing ever gets announced there. LA opens a few days after SF closes. That's where you'll see the announcement. Has anyone noticed the recent Mazda ads in Autoweek (and no doubt elsewhere) "introducing" the racing variant of the 2.2 diesel? There's your tip-off as to what the LA show announcement will involve.

Sadly SF and SJ car shows are minor events, I attend because they are convenient. Yes, the racing diesel is old AW news from June .

Thanks Rob_in_Madison, certainly some good news on the way and at least one thing is certain: "Both the 2014 CX-5 and 2014 Mazda6 will go on sale in January 2013."

just looked up ROW fuel consumption, if 2.0L can get 6.8l/100km, and 2.2D can get 5.7L/100km, convert to mpg 41 vs 49 (again ROW mpg calculation) that is an increase of 19% or so, if we can get 35mpg hwy, with D will be around 41mpg, all sound inline with VW TDI's. again we need to add the D premium of 3K or so and 10-15% more for D at the pump, but you get the torque, decisions.....

I'm guessing 2.5L G will decrease GM by 10% or so... Just looked it up, 8L/100km, so is about 15%. if 35mpg hwy will now be 30....

this shows is a good time to pickup a 2013 2.0l CX5's since there is no major change between 13 and 14.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob_in_Madison, certainly some good news on the way and at least one thing is certain: "Both the 2014 CX-5 and 2014 Mazda6 will go on sale in January 2013."

I hope that isn't a typo - it will either drastically drop the price of the 2013's, or be a good enough offering that I will wait to get a 2014. If I could get a 2013 GT with Tech for $26,000 that would be good enough for me probably! I am likely dreaming at the moment :)

I hope that isn't a typo - it will either drastically drop the price of the 2013's, or be a good enough offering that I will wait to get a 2014. If I could get a 2013 GT with Tech for $26,000 that would be good enough for me probably! I am likely dreaming at the moment :)

My guess is expect a price increase for standard model year 2014's comparably equipped, and the 2.5L and diesel will be extra cost options on top.

Last edited:
After reading this I was unable to conclude it will be for the Mazda6 only, did I miss something?...

"your first diesel-powered Mazda will be the 2014 Mazda6 sedan that arrives at dealers early next year"

Still hopeful it will make a debut in the CX-5 sometime in the future ... Guess I was too hopeful that it would have a debut in the CX5.

That is Autoblog's take. They are just a couple of car writing hacks. I am holding out for the official word tomorrow morning from Mazda.

Back