Engine Oil

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
Is the Mazda brand 0W-20 recommended over store brand 0W-20 synthetic (Mobil, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline)? I know the Mazda brand has quite a bit of molybdenum and was wondering if it was required where the store brands do not have the same levels.

it is funny that Mazda has oil in Mazda bottles but they actually recommend Castrol. (probably a castrol product in their bottles too)

They even say to get a Castrol oil change at your local Mazda dealer:
https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/parts_service/castrol_products.pdf

I do have to say I'm a big fan of synthetics and still changing the oil fairly frequently.
this was our P5 after 100,000 miles I wasn't loyal to any brand of synthetic at that time but changed the oil every 3,000 miles. It took less than 3 qts each time with it so it wasn't that expensive to do it and we didn't put a lot of miles each year on the car but the end results look good. I never ever ran any sort of cleaner through the crankcase either.
mazda.jpg

Attachments

• mazda.jpg
    mazda.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 913
Last edited:
Nice, not that 100,000 is a ton of miles for a Mazda. Changing synthetic oil at 3K miles is a lot of wasted oil (unless driving only 3K miles a year, changing annually of course).

Last edited:
Nice, not that 100,000 is a ton of miles for a Mazda. Changing synthetic oil at 3K miles is a lot of wasted oil and time.

yeah, but I hated the little tiny oil filter it had on it and it took half the oil my CX5 takes which also seemed like too little. Probably overreacting but I never expected the top end to be that clean inside. Figured spending so much of the time with it in 90-100 degree heat and short trips it was better to error on the side of overcautious,

I changed my oil in my GT AWD at 50xx miles with Mobil 1 and a Mazda filter. I don't think it will make a difference using Castrol, Mobil 1, Penzoil, etc., as long at it is full synthetic. I plan on doing the oil every 5k miles, and not going with the other maintenance plan in the manual of 7.5k miles.

Oil... i was wondering on the whole oil change frequency thing. I live in Vancouver, Canada, so very mild temperatures. Rarely snows, mostly rain in the winter, pretty much like Seattle. In fact, the US border is just 20 minutes away. Anyway, because this is a Canadian car, it is recommended on the 'harsh environment' oil change schedule. I think this is pretty dumb given that we are so close to the border, AND it rarely snows here, so very little snow/salt damage. That said... i've always been meticulous about car maintenance (oil changes, etc...) and don't want to 'cheap out', however, it also doesn't really make sense to change the oil that frequently, when it doesn't really need it for a synthetic oil car... what are your thoughts? especially for those out on the West coast...

Oil... i was wondering on the whole oil change frequency thing. I live in Vancouver, Canada, so very mild temperatures. Rarely snows, mostly rain in the winter, pretty much like Seattle. In fact, the US border is just 20 minutes away. Anyway, because this is a Canadian car, it is recommended on the 'harsh environment' oil change schedule. ..

Does your manual specify that Canada is "harsh environment"? Or did the SA (service advisor)?

The manual does list the conditions for consideration:

Follow Schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated mainly where none of the following conditions
apply.
l Repeated short-distance driving
l Driving in dusty conditions
l Driving with extended use of brakes
l Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
l Driving on rough or muddy roads
l Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
l Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
l Driving in extremely hot conditions
l Driving in mountainous conditions continually

Latest posts

Back