Anyone have the Rear CX-5 Bumper Guard made by Mazda?

It was installed on one of the cars I test drove and I thought it looked very "aftermarket". It's stainless and nothing else on the car is stainless. I also don't think it offers much in the way of protection for the bumper. I had a local shop install 3M paint protection film for $65. Less than the cost of the same film kit from Mazda Parts and it was professionally installed.

here is one photo. I'ts a bit rainy here today so not the best lighting. I think it looks good--has a black rubbery edge to it. My concern was that when the kids come out to help unlaod the car (groceries, etc) this would protect the bumper a bit from them dragging the bags out.

Attachments

• 2012-10-24_16-12-33_892.jpg
    2012-10-24_16-12-33_892.jpg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 2,575
It was installed on one of the cars I test drove and I thought it looked very "aftermarket". It's stainless and nothing else on the car is stainless. I also don't think it offers much in the way of protection for the bumper. I had a local shop install 3M paint protection film for $65. Less than the cost of the same film kit from Mazda Parts and it was professionally installed.

I'm mainly looking to protect the bumper from my dogs jumping in and out of the back. Do you think the 3M protection film will guard against dog claws?

Thanks!

here is one photo. I'ts a bit rainy here today so not the best lighting. I think it looks good--has a black rubbery edge to it. My concern was that when the kids come out to help unlaod the car (groceries, etc) this would protect the bumper a bit from them dragging the bags out.

Thanks for the pic! Can you comment on how much unprotected space there is between the inside edge of the protector and the section of the bumper closest to the door?

Thanks for the pic! Can you comment on how much unprotected space there is between the inside edge of the protector and the section of the bumper closest to the door?

Approx. 1/2". Everyone is obviously entilted to their own opinion as to how it looks-- I think it looks fine, and it is going to do what I need it to do--the scratches on the car I traded in (Rav4) always made me crazy.

I'm mainly looking to protect the bumper from my dogs jumping in and out of the back. Do you think the 3M protection film will guard against dog claws?Thanks!
To some extent that would depend on the size of the dogs. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd do something like da5id above did with the fabric bumper cover. The
3m film alone is likely to get pretty scarred up in time and the Mazda bumper guard would probably do little more than provide a toe hold for your dogs, with obvious results!

I have one. Actually, have had two.
The original one started to delaminate almost immediately. The aluiminum "protector" was peeling from the plastic holder.
The dealer replaced it with no hassle at all at the first oil change (props to the dealer- not the one I bought it from).

I didn't want the protector to begin with. It's an overpriced (at $100) "option", that really wasn't an option at all. All the Touring AWDS were being shipped with the protector and the roof rails. You couldn't get one without it back in May/June/July. I saw it as a way to increase the price of the car (and margin) on a popular vehicle without having to actually increase the base price.

That all being said, it does look nice, and will protect the top of your bumper.

I installed one and think it looks great on my black GT and will offer some protection.

However, for dogs, the liner with flap might be more effective - provided the flap gets deployed before the dogs jump in ............ or out. Film might work, too but would likely need to be replaced periodically. Dog claws are hard on the paint.

I have one. Actually, have had two.

That all being said, it does look nice, and will protect the top of your bumper.

They offer it to increase margins. $100 for a $12 part.

I imagine it will protect the part of the bumper that is covered by the guard but if I'm paying $100 for it I want a protector to protect the protector from scratches!(lol2)

I installed the Mazda bumper guard on my CX-5. looks great and helps protect against scratches when taking stuff out the back. Do a search as I posted a pic of mine on a thread somewhere.

For anyone still interested in this, I was browsing on ebay and came across one from China, although I don't trust buying from there seems many people in the forum have had positive interactions. The OEM one does not have the CX-5 logo whereas the China one does. Also the one from China is $64.99 with Free Shipping and the OEM about $80-90 depending on where you're buying.

OEM

yhst-24809172479195_2231_71537696

Chinese

599892292_o.jpg

those from china just look kind of cheesy with the checkered design that doesnt go with the rest of the car, hope they come out with better designs. I do dig the CX-5 logo on it thou. My price point is about $50 max.... seriously, its about $5 in parts... so should be selling for $20-$25 with mark ups.

those from china just look kind of cheesy with the checkered design that doesnt go with the rest of the car, hope they come out with better designs. I do dig the CX-5 logo on it thou. My price point is about $50 max.... seriously, its about $5 in parts... so should be selling for $20-$25 with mark ups.
That's not the way you price things in the world of business. Cost is only one factor; more important is what the competition is charging. In this case they are undercutting Mazda by 25% and, product quality being equal (which is dubious), they figure they're at a competive price point.

I also have it on CX-5 (had it before on CX-7 as well) very nice plus useful when loading/unloading heavy suitcase :)

Cheers,
Miki

Back