Manual CX-5 has launch contol???

Mistersix

:
MAZDASPEED6
If its not it sure works like one. Here's how to engage it. Obviously the car should be running.

1. Push the clutch in.
2. Put it in first gear.
3. Mash the throttle and hold it there.

And bam! It rev's to 4k and sits there. Dump the clutch, the tires scramble for traction and your off. I laughed my ass of as the little ute squealed tire and chirped into second.

Now i dunno if mazda intended this or what it really is but its there and works like a champ. And like the LC on my MS6, it only works with the car stopped, clutch in. If you moving or just in neutral with the clutch out it will rev to redline.

Got a manny cx5? Give it a try and lemme know.

This only makes Mazda that much more awesome.

Well I can't disagree that Mazda isn't awesome, but almost all new manual cars do this. I heard its a safety thing so that you can't red line the car in neutral, but I guess you can also use it as a launch control :p

Ha! Its clutch is strong. It had no problem putting the power to the wheels. The generic stock tires have trouble making it stick for a second but it goes as hard as it can without problems. I don't think the factory clutch will have any problems handling the little torque this motor puts out.

At least it sits at 4k. Isn't that where peak torque is?

That's by no means launch control - It's a safety net.

Ford and a ton of other manufacturers do the same thing.

I would gamble to get the fastest 0-60 out of a manual CX-5, you would be slipping out the clutch around 5500-6000 rpm.

For our automatic - stop and go. :)

Did it leave any significant rubber streaks on the pavement? (or just noise, squealing and chirping, lol)

With the direct injection on the skyactiv engines, the torque comes on a bit quicker than the old 2.0 duratec engine, so it doesn't make sense to rev much past 3000 rpm and slip the clutch to achieve a fast launch. you will still chirp tires on the 1-2 shift if you're shifting at redline.

I don't do that too often because I have my doubts about the strength of the transmission and I do not wish to find out the hard way... not to mention the amount of wheel hop from the thick tires and soft motor mounts is enough to discourage hooniganistic behavior.

Thanks for the report, even if I had the manual, I wouldn't attempt this. Lol, it's better to let somebody else do it.

Ha! Its clutch is strong. It had no problem putting the power to the wheels. The generic stock tires have trouble making it stick for a second but it goes as hard as it can without problems. I don't think the factory clutch will have any problems handling the little torque this motor puts out.

Note to self: if Mistersix's CX-5 shows up for sale used, don't buy it :)

While i didn't assume this was a launch control it sure as hell works like one. I didn't go back to see if it left rubber and i doubt it did anyway.

I dunno why one would have doubts about the tranny and motor mounts. They would be designed from the factory to handle what the vehicle is capable of. And wheel hop? The only way this weak motor would spin the wheels long enough to hop is in the rain and if your doing that then i have my doubts about the driver.

You can still redline the car in neutral. Just not with the clutch in and in gear.

If your scared then ya, leave it to somebody else. I think its cool its there it works proper. Do i launch my cx5 all the time(lol), no. Will i launch it at all? Probably not. I was wondering if anybody else stumbled across this.

LOL I didn't mean massive wheel hop, but barely perceptible... then again that could mean my tires are over inflated (hand)

No need for launch control, not likely to have it, since it already has stability control and traction control.

I dont think traction control does anything on launch. All it does is reduce power output of the engine (like when applying gas on snow or ice). After you drop the clutch and everything is fully engaged then it would have an effect. When you launch a manual, the reason to rev high is to use the intertia of the engine to add instant torque to the driveline. Traction control doesnt engage brakes so it wouldnt have any effect at that very moment. So it does make sense to not allow revving past 4000 in first with the clutch disengaged as far as traction is concerned though because the tires would epicly burn out. I think it's more what Jcanracer said, its more about breaking something above 4k rpms than giving us something to tune our drag racing times with.

Stability control does use individual brakes at each wheel to keep the car from being upset in a quick manuever, but it wont do anything in a straight line.

Stability control does use individual brakes at each wheel to keep the car from being upset in a quick manuever, but it wont do anything in a straight line.

Yes, since we are guessing, many stability control systems take control of throttle too (to deal with power oversteering situations).

LOL I didn't mean massive wheel hop, but barely perceptible... then again that could mean my tires are over inflated (hand)
Lol! When i got my 5 each wheel was inflated over 40psi.

No need for launch control, not likely to have it, since it already has stability control and traction control.
Totally different things for sure.

I dont think traction control does anything on launch. All it does is reduce power output of the engine (like when applying gas on snow or ice). After you drop the clutch and everything is fully engaged then it would have an effect. When you launch a manual, the reason to rev high is to use the intertia of the engine to add instant torque to the driveline. Traction control doesnt engage brakes so it wouldnt have any effect at that very moment. So it does make sense to not allow revving past 4000 in first with the clutch disengaged as far as traction is concerned though because the tires would epicly burn out. I think it's more what Jcanracer said, its more about breaking something above 4k rpms than giving us something to tune our drag racing times with.

Agreed. While i to think this is more of a safety measure for keeping people from flooring it to redline and dumping the clutch, that still puts it in line with a launch control system. Revs are limited, minimizing wheel spin while maximizing forward motion. The traction control would kick in during the launch if there was too much wheel spin. But the threshold is higher than what the car is capable of so its still a non issue.

Back