Child seat installation - seat belt extender

jaman_ca

I have a child seat installed in the center position. Due to the recessed seat belt receptacle, it's almost impossible to have a passenger sit on either side to the seat. To fix this, I went to the dealer and bought a seat belt extender. Note that the extender for the CX-5 only fits the front seats - the receptacle in the back and the front is not the same. Inspecting other cars on the lot, we noted that the Mazda 3 has the same receptacle in the front as the CX-5 in the back, so I ordered that instead and it works. Unfortunately it's quite expensive at around $45.

Attachments

• seat_belt.pdf
    156.4 KB · Views: 615
  • seat_belt_2.pdf
    158.7 KB · Views: 507
I put a reverse facing child seat in the center rear of mine and did not have a problem using seatbelts on either side...

I have a reverse facing seat in the center and a booster on the drivers side and I've not had any issues as well. Good workaround though, albeit a bit expensive.

I have a child seat installed in the center position. Due to the recessed seat belt receptacle, it's almost impossible to have a passenger sit on either side to the seat. To fix this, I went to the dealer and bought a seat belt extender. Note that the extender for the CX-5 only fits the front seats - the receptacle in the back and the front is not the same. Inspecting other cars on the lot, we noted that the Mazda 3 has the same receptacle in the front as the CX-5 in the back, so I ordered that instead and it works. Unfortunately it's quite expensive at around $45.

You should have saved your money and just used the latch system anchors, significantly more secure method especially since it also secures the upper end of the carseat as well...

I ran into the similar problem mentioned by jaman_ca. I installed the car seat in the rear center position using the latch system anchors and the receptacles for the passengers on both sides of the car seat are inaccessible. Practically, the only one wearing a seatbelt/restraining-device on the back of the car is my toddler. I must mention that I also put a car seat protector under the car seat so the upholstery wouldn't get damaged by the edges of the car seat. This issue is something I informed Mazda about and hopefully they will do something about it for next year's model. The recessed seat belt receptacle, although nice, proved to be non-practical for side passengers when a wide car seat is placed in the center position.

Last edited:
^^^This.

My older son complained of not being able to access the buckle easily (as he could in my 05 Elantra) and I hadn't realized the issue until I saw how close and tucked in the receptacle was on either side of the car seat.

We had exactly the same issue in my old Audi - carrier (britax) in middle position made it nearly impossible for our 6 year old to buckle herself while on her booster.

Back