Awful gas mileage

Danoe

:
CX-5
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a "new" grand touring that was used as a demo by the sales manager. When I got in the car the avg mileage showed about 25. I have driven it for just over 100 miles and the avg mpg showed 34.1 for that distance. However the gas gauge had dropped by over a quarter in that 100 miles. I stopped at the gas station and put 5.5 gallons of fuel in the car. That came out to just over 18.7 mpg. So thats the car showing me over 34 mpg and an actual of 18 mpg. I immediately took it to the dealer, and they basically told me to keep driving it and see if it changes. I told them that if I get the same mileage tomorrow I was going to return the car. Has anyone else seen this or heard of it?
And the car had 5k miles on it already.
Thanks.

You need to reset all numbers and give it more than just a day. And it's weird it went from 25mpg to over 34mpg in just over a 100 miles. Maybe a computer is malfunctioning. That's my opinion.

Of course the computer isn't going to be accurate on less than a tank. Drive it for a while, calculate it yourself, and then compare to the onboard computer's estimation.

the computer is rather "laggy" and inaccurate
i took it on a 2H drive from my University back to my home north of Toronto and was averaging a good 125-135km'h on the highway
after all that my average speed was still 41km'h...most likely data recorded from driving in Toronto the past weekend

Hi everyone!

I just purchased a "new" grand touring that was used as a demo by the sales manager. When I got in the car the avg mileage showed about 25. I have driven it for just over 100 miles and the avg mpg showed 34.1 for that distance. However the gas gauge had dropped by over a quarter in that 100 miles. I stopped at the gas station and put 5.5 gallons of fuel in the car. That came out to just over 18.7 mpg. So thats the car showing me over 34 mpg and an actual of 18 mpg. I immediately took it to the dealer, and they basically told me to keep driving it and see if it changes. I told them that if I get the same mileage tomorrow I was going to return the car. Has anyone else seen this or heard of it?
And the car had 5k miles on it already.
Thanks.

I would bet the dealership did not fill it up all the way before they gave it to you. My car will show all bars sometimes without the tank completely full

Last edited:
As several have said, you can't make an accurate mileage determination on such a few miles. Drive it, enjoy it, and likely the mileage will be fine.

Car has probably been beat up some - it was test driven, which is a lot of short trips, and with that many miles probably been used as a loaner and/ or a manager drove it sometimes for personal use.

Change the oil and oil filter (if it hadnt been done just before you got it), fill the tank up with some decent gas like Mobil or BP, and go take a day trip somewhere this weekend and put on a few hundred miles. Fill the tank up again and drive it to work for the week (minimum 30 mile round trip) and see what you got. You should see big gains in your mpgs. One day with lots of highway miles makes the engine much happier.

I'm curious - how much did you pay to drive it off the lot?

Give it at least a week. The best way to calculate your mpg is with 2 tanks of gas. Give it time and complain once your sure you have something wrong with your car.

You have no idea how full it was when you got it. Freaking out over an assumption like that is over reacting.

Forget the 'computer' reading.

Drive it for 6 fill ups and then you will know your true MPG.

You need a hand calculated 3 tank average, at minimum, to determine your mileage. Calm down and don't call the dealer.

All true.

In addition, ours was yielding some rather disappointing mileage for the first 5-7K miles. Typically around 27 MPG.

We averaged 36 MPG on our recent Arkansas roadtrip, and my wife now averages around 30-31 in her daily driving, which has quite a bit of stop and go.

Back