Manual transmission rev hang on 2 to 3 shift

coopermx

:
2013 CX-5 Sport 6-speed
Has anybody experienced an issue where the RPMs are very slow to fall when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear? It's quite odd. If I shift at 3000 in 2nd, it takes a few seconds for the rpms to fall down to ~2000 rpm for a smooth clutch out into 3rd. I think I remember another CX-5 doing the same thing during a test drive. No other shifts do this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Does it only happen when shifting around 3000? Like, if you initiate the shift at 2000, or say 4500, does it still happen?

If you initiate an upshift at 3000 while in another gear, it does not happen?

I haven't noticed what you describe but now am curious to try it on my way to work tomorrow.

From what i've experienced and gathered this is a common thing on modern manual trans cars. Its called "rev hang" and its an emissions thing. My speed 6 does it too. And yes i hate it as well. Honda's are the worst, as they hang rev's for a really long time.

Its really noticeable when i jump in the miata. Push in the clutch and lift and the revs drop immediately. In the 5 and the 6, the revs sit there for a sec before they start falling.

It does indeed only happen when I shift between 2000-3000 rpm. If I shift at 4500 they fall quickly/normally.

It only happens on the 2 to 3 upshift. It is quite bizarre and requires me to wait a long time to clutch out if I want to match the revs on a 2 to 3 upshift.

Mistersix: I have seen the rev hang issue in other cars, but there seems to be a difference here in that when I clutch out, the revs start to fall immediately but very very slowly. Almost as if it has an insanely heavy flywheel.

Last edited:
I'd still like to know why it only does this from 2nd to 3rd gear though. It makes it a pain to shift smoothly at 3k rpm, which is usually when I shift most. Has anybody else noticed this?

I paid close attention to this yesterday and i can't say i noticed it to be different from 2nd to 3rd. Or any gear at any rpm for that matter. When i push the clutch in the revs hang there for a sec then drop. No matter how hard or soft i drive the car.

Back