Automatic trans maintenance

:
23 CX-5 Premium
Just finished slogging through the owners manual (yes, I'm one of "those") and, unless I'm missing something, it looks like Mazda does not recommend any kind of periodic maintenance on this component. Even though it carries 8.2 quarts of ATF! Any others notice this?

Yes, this has been discussed before and search will find at least one thread where this was beat to death (almost like oil change frequency/intervals threads). These days it's often called a "lifetime fill", Lexus ISx50's same situation.

Yes, this has been discussed before and search will find at least one thread where this was beat to death (almost like oil change frequency/intervals threads). These days it's often called a "lifetime fill", Lexus ISx50's same situation.
I've also wondered if the Skyactive auto uses a single dry or wet clutch. I guess the fact that it carries a full load ot ATF would suggest the latter.

Skyactive auto uses wet clutches.
"Clutch", singular. Unless you're referring to the individual plates in the single clutch pack. I'm making the distinction between a dual clutch set-up a-la VW and Ford and the Mazda design.

Last edited:
I questioned the service writer at my local Mazda dealer and got this response. If the AT is not performing correctly then the fluid will be changed at that time. Our service people recommend a fluid change at 100,000 miles in any case. I could not find any reference to "Lifetime" AT fill in the manual, nor does my dealer sugest it has a lifetime fluid. I wonder why some people keep refering to a lifetime fill when it is clearly not. Just my observations. I do resent the idea that Mazda will not provide me with a dip-stick to check the fluid. Ed

For a vast majority of owners here, "lifetime fill" is exactly what this tranny fluid situation here (in the ownership life of their CX-5 they will have original tranny fluid in vehicle, even those that exceed 100K miles of ownership). Therefore the manual does not call for any tranny fluid replacement at any mileage interval. The possibility of fluid change done incorrectly and unnecessarily can lead to shortened tranny life. It's really a non-issue for CX-5 owners and has been beat to death in other threads. Of course I do recognize the importance for some of the "feel good" factor and need for added maintenance not specified.

Of course any local dealership (and SA) can say and will say whatever they want in the hopes of increasing service department revenue and related SA compensation. I filter anything and everything stated by a SA btw, hardly the best data source. I would prefer to have a way to check fluid level.

btw - What's Mazda manuals state for tranny service on the CX-7 and CX-9's (not that they have same trannys)?

Last edited:
Just curious, and I know this has been beaten to death but I'm too lazy to look it up here, has anyone written Mazda about this? For me I'm just going to change mine at 100k if I keep it that long. I'm at 8500 now. Only complaints so far are some annoying rattles and squeaks and what seems to be a bad motor mount that shows its ugly head when I put it in reverse cold.

As I've stated before - I'm no mechanic, but it seems that since Mazda is relying so much on this vehicle's performance and reliability, that they would ensure a dependable, long-lasting transmission/fluid. I agree with CX-SV, I'm not changing this stuff.

My buddy owns a 2005 Toyota 4Runner (2WD) and it has a "closed-circuit" suspension system. His forums tell him he'll statistically have to change his suspension system after 50-150k miles. That seems completely ridiculous to me. I've never heard of a daily driver that's needed a suspension changed after that little of mileage. AGAIN - I'm not claiming to be an automotive expert, but it doesn't make sense for Mazda to install an insufficient tranny fluid.

Crossing my fingers that this can hit 150k-200k easily!!

Last edited:
I know this is different atf, different transmission and a different car but here's our Mazda3's transmission fluid after only 10,000 miles compared to new.
atf.jpg

And I also realize that appearance isn't the way to judge if it is still good or not. But it is enough to make me order a test kit to send off a sample of the fluid out of my CX5 just to see what they say.

I'll admit I may just be paranoid about automatic transmission lifespan after working around Honda transmissions for years but it seems really inexpensive to change out the fluid every so often compared to replacing the transmission at 150,000 miles.

I'm also curious how much of the 'sealed' system is to stop people from putting the wrong fluid in it, which probably causes more headaches for Mazda than old fluid. I remember on our P5, the manual said use MV ATF and a lot of people online would say that was "Mercon V", which it wasn't. I noticed Mazda changed the label on the bottles to say "M5" to try to clarify it a bit.

Attachments

• atf.jpg
    atf.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:
Back