Ambient lighting?

BranCKY3

Has anybody tried to add ambient lighting to the CX-5? Coming from a Volkswagen with two ambient lights in the overhead console, it drives me absolutely nuts not being able to see in my car at night.

Has anybody tried to add ambient lighting to the CX-5? Coming from a Volkswagen with two ambient lights in the overhead console, it drives me absolutely nuts not being able to see in my car at night.

i've been contemplating it for awhile because i put some HP festoon leds in the overhead lights. they are crazy bright so somewhat impractical for just finding something quick while driving.
was thinking of putting some wide angle leds inside the map lights pointing down so that they aren't readily visible
but i haven't gotten around to pulling the overhead console down to see how the spacing is and where on it could mount switches for each of the lights (one on each side)

i've been contemplating it for awhile because i put some HP festoon leds in the overhead lights. they are crazy bright so somewhat impractical for just finding something quick while driving.
was thinking of putting some wide angle leds inside the map lights pointing down so that they aren't readily visible
but i haven't gotten around to pulling the overhead console down to see how the spacing is and where on it could mount switches for each of the lights (one on each side)

Let us know how that goes if you get around to it, I also have the insanely bright LEDs everywhere (love the light unless I just want to check on something like the dogs in the back on a trip or find something in the center console) and have been contemplating cold cathode or LED lighting in various places around the car.

Let us know how that goes if you get around to it, I also have the insanely bright LEDs everywhere (love the light unless I just want to check on something like the dogs in the back on a trip or find something in the center console) and have been contemplating cold cathode or LED lighting in various places around the car.

yeah not sure when i'll get around to it now that its gettin colder, too many projects, not enough ambition lol

i think ccfl's would be to cumbersome to try to use, leds would be easiest, although EL tape/wire might be interesting to use as well for some very low ambient or accent lighting

I have found them to be easier to mount and wire in areas like footwells for a more subtle look. LEDs always come across too focused or harsh (or maybe I am doing something wrong).

I have found them to be easier to mount and wire in areas like footwells for a more subtle look. LEDs always come across too focused or harsh (or maybe I am doing something wrong).

i guess it depends on how/where your mounting, but with ccfls your stuck with trying to figure out how to fit a fixed length

as far as leds, you have to be careful of the projecting angle, some have very narrow (spot) projections while some have rather wide (flood) light spreads, also distance from source to surface matters alot, for ambient/area lighting i'd be sure to look for ones with very wide angles (90-120deg)

got this bug in my craw again, so might take a look at it once weather starts warming up

found this thread while searching, this guy did a good job and had some good ideas, i might investigate something like this if i can find some reasonably priced royal blue leds that aren't mounted on large plates....

regular blue leds are generally far to bright (power and color) i'd prefer a low key dark blue glow cast rather than harsh bright blue

My 2010 Mazda 3 had the blue light up top and it looked good at night, just enough light to see the shifter and other things. Also the led lighting on the door was great. I wish the CX-5 had these.

Back