Tom Tom Map Detail

MikeM.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L
Does anyone know how to change the detail level of the map? I find the map screen to be useless because it does not show enough information. On both my Garmin 276C and 376C I can adjust the level of detail displayed at various zoom levels. Very handy but I can't figure out how to do it with the Tom Tom.

Also, I can't find the setting for displaying a North arrow. I like my maps to show which way is north without having to lock north to the top of the screen.

I am just not getting along with this GPS. I suspect the people that are happy with it have never used a good GPS.

Not sure if you can get those details. It's two different manufacturers with two different ways of doing things. You cannot expect them to make the same exact products with the same exact features. TomTom is more basic. It all depends on what people prefer. Some people like basic stuff like me even though I am very up to date with technology. I like to manually input my address, I hate voice control anything, never use that feature on my Iphone or anything else. But there's people like you for example that want all the details and customizations, this is fine too.

For people like me this is the perfect Navigation system but if you like many many customization options this definitely may not be the choice of Navi for you. I input my destination and with Tom Tom Live traffic, red light camera warning this Navi system does what it's supposed to. It gets me there on or before time taking the best possible route with the least amount of traffic. Basic is always better, like how Mazda kept the dash basic with not many buttons and such. Then you look at the competitors Escape, the inside is like a damn spaceship with a buttin for everything. Like I always said it's all about personal preference.

Any idea how you get the current time to show above the speed on the box on the left hand side? Mine only has the speed showing.

The current time is also missing on the Mazda GPS, they want you to use the built in clock near the Climate control... too bad that one doesn't auto adjust with the GPS clock which is hidden...

The current time is also missing on the Mazda GPS, they want you to use the built in clock near the Climate control... too bad that one doesn't auto adjust with the GPS clock which is hidden...

So you guys can't see the clock too? Even though it shows up in the manual?

Not to mention it's extremely hard to see with polarized sunglasses.

I have noticed that it looks darker with my Julbos and Maui Jims but not too bad I don't think. I wonder if it has something to do with how the sunglass company applies the polarization.

Definitely worse though

i get that polarised sunglasses annoyance too.

also, a clock higher up on the dashboard like in other vehicles would be very useful in keeping the driver's eyes closer to the road. it makes more sense. it's awkward having to look all the way down to check the time.

It's two different manufacturers with two different ways of doing things. You cannot expect them to make the same exact products with the same exact features.

It's not that I want the Tom Tom to be exactly like a Garmin 276c (although that would be worlds better than what we have), it's just that some functions are basic and essential to navigation (like which way is north and how much map detail is displayed).

I input my destination and with Tom Tom Live traffic, red light camera warning this Navi system does what it's supposed to. It gets me there on or before time taking the best possible route with the least amount of traffic. Basic is always better

I'm glad you're happy with the Tom Tom GPS but I believe a GPS should ASSIST the user in navigation, not take over navigation and not let them know what it is doing. How do I get it to display altitude for example? All GPS's calculate altitude. On the Tom Tom, I can't even tell where I am half the time (unless I'm intimately familiar with the area in which case I would not need a GPS or a map anyway).

I am quite surprised that any independent person would be satisfied with the very limited functionality of the Tom Tom. That doesn't mean it's not possible, just that I'm surprised anyone is happy with it.

I'm considering buying another mount for my Garmin 276c/376c so I can transfer it from my motorcycle to the CX-5 although that would really clutter up the interior of the CX-5 (which is why I bought the built-in GPS to begin with). Too bad Tom Tom doesn't do 20% of what I need it to do. Perhaps Tom Tom should change their name to "Dumb Dumb" (of course they should spell it "Dum Dum").

Last edited:
I suggest you look into this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-the-factory-installed-TomTom-Navigation-Unit People that like it are almost twice more than people that are extremely unhappy to the point they have to whine about every little thing with it.

I was already aware of that thread and that is precisely what precipitated my surprise that some people are satisfied with the very limited functionality of the Tom Tom. I can only guess this is primarily because they have limited experience navigating with GPS's that are more customizable and actually offer basic navigational functionality such as a north arrow and the ability to display your altitude. Nowhere did I indicate you were the only one who is happy with his/her purchase.

Someone at Tom Tom really had some balls to call it a "navigation system" considering it doesn't offer even the most basic navigation features.

I rarely use it in my CX-5, generally I use Waze or Google Navigation on my phone since the tomtom navi is such a pain

i supplement the tomtom nav with google maps as well. it makes it more tolerable for me and they complement each other. with a quick gesture on a smartphone i can pull out more level of detail than i can ever do with the built-in nav and pull out to see the bigger picture to check freeway traffic conditions; while the 3d view can readily show me upcoming streets and turn-by-turn.

...but that digresses into another subject regarding sticking to ios5 and the iphone 4(s) for overall compatibility and functionality at this time, which is discussed in the other threads. imo, tomtom's nb-1 nav unit by itself needs more product development but with a smartphone it's workable.

I wouldn't really call it frustration, I really love almost every other thing about my CX-5 and that's what makes the Tom Tom nav system stand out like a sore thumb. I feel the need to tell it how it is and if that saves one person from wasting their money on this poorly executed Dum Dum GPS I'll feel that my time was not wasted.

The clock is shown on screen on the UK version, its near the bottom rhs. But is in a small font size.

I have only used the TT over a 40 mile run on a test drive, but found it wanting.

I wouldn't condemn it as obviously i don't know all the functions, but it seemed slow to calculate a route, and also slow updating map position, a couple of times i was given instructions to turn after i already had turned.

So it appears to be wanting as a voice only guidance system.

I also missed a couple of turns because the sat nav failed to guide me to the correct lane.

The resolution of the display is well behind that of the Nissan Xtrail and CRV.

In the UK it costs 600 as an extra, which considering you can buy a portable unit for around 100, makes the TT over priced.

I'm certainly unimpressed with the TT, having had a Nissan built in sat nav now since 2004 to compare against, along with a 2 year old 1390T Garmin.

The live traffic is included with the TT, but after 60 days (if i recall correctly), a subscription is required, on the Nissan and Garmin it traffic is free.
The TT speed camera data base is also dated, and if my experience with the Garmin is the same, even updating still regularly flags up cameras that no longer exist in the UK.

As a said only used it twice to enter code to get me home and back to the dealer, but the voice guidance for navigating a round about, i find really confusing, to be honest i find the Garmin just a wanting, and overall find the xtrail sat nav way in front.

So at this stage I'm not sure whether to order sat nav when i purchase.

The clock is shown on screen on the UK version, its near the bottom rhs. But is in a small font size.

I have only used the TT over a 40 mile run on a test drive, but found it wanting.

I wouldn't condemn it as obviously i don't know all the functions, but it seemed slow to calculate a route, and also slow updating map position, a couple of times i was given instructions to turn after i already had turned.

So it appears to be wanting as a voice only guidance system.

I also missed a couple of turns because the sat nav failed to guide me to the correct lane.

The resolution of the display is well behind that of the Nissan Xtrail and CRV.

In the UK it costs 600 as an extra, which considering you can buy a portable unit for around 100, makes the TT over priced.

I'm certainly unimpressed with the TT, having had a Nissan built in sat nav now since 2004 to compare against, along with a 2 year old 1390T Garmin.

The live traffic is included with the TT, but after 60 days (if i recall correctly), a subscription is required, on the Nissan and Garmin the traffic is free.

The TT speed camera data base is also dated, and if my experience with the Garmin is the same, even updating still regularly flags up cameras that no longer exist in the UK.

As a said only used it twice to enter code to get me home and back to the dealer, but the voice guidance for navigating a round about, i find really confusing, to be honest i find the Garmin just a wanting, and overall find the xtrail sat nav way in front.

So at this stage I'm not sure whether to order sat nav when i purchase.

Does anyone know how to change the detail level of the map? I find the map screen to be useless because it does not show enough information. On both my Garmin 276C and 376C I can adjust the level of detail displayed at various zoom levels. Very handy but I can't figure out how to do it with the Tom Tom.

Also, I can't find the setting for displaying a North arrow. I like my maps to show which way is north without having to lock north to the top of the screen.

I am just not getting along with this GPS. I suspect the people that are happy with it have never used a good GPS.

By detail level, do you mean the "zoom"? The magnifying glass icon on the top left allows you to change that.

By detail level, do you mean the "zoom"? The magnifying glass icon on the top left allows you to change that.

No, not the zoom level.

My Garmin GPS's allow the user to adjust how much detail is displayed at different levels of zoom. For example, as the Tom Tom is zoomed out to look at the bigger picture the secondary roads disappear and there is no way to adjust this behavior. In Manhattan this is a good thing but in a more rural area it makes the map worthless. Simplicity is good but the Tom Tom is literally crippled by the fact that certain key features are not user adjustable in a menu.

Back