Torque distribution between left and right rear wheels, what is the %?

miki69

:
Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel (175hp) SKYACTIV-Drive, AWD
Hello folks,

I've tried numerous sources - no luck. Seems impossible to find what is the actual torque distribution between left/right rear wheels. Is it like Nissan Juke, where one rear wheel can get 50% of total torque, while other 0%? I know front/rear split is from 100/0 to 50/50, but no brochure mentions what happens once torque being distributed to the rear wheels.

BTW, is it similar/same as Juke's torque vectoring, as Mazda definitely doesn't call it that?

If you check those videos, it looks pretty much the same....

and we know it's permanent/preloaded (always engaged):

and that has been updated/modified on CX-5 comparing to CX-7/9:
Part of that Skyactiv tech on the CX-5 included a newly-developed all-wheel drive system that weighed 44 per cent less than the previous unit and, said Mazda, reduced energy loss by up to 52 per cent through ‘controlled torque distribution.’

Any information would be highly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited:
I believe torque between rear wheels is handled by the limited slip differential. This is a mechanical device that sense's the difference in wheel speed and locks accordingly to control slip. Rather or not the CX-5 awd has LSD in the rear is unknown to me. But thats how it works in my Speed 6 and miata.

This is an official statement regarding Juke's AWD vs AWD-V:
AWD-V has full torque vectoring and AWD has minimal torque vectoring.

The AWD system uses two multi-plate electromagnetic couplings to shift torque from left to right on the rear axle, one on the left and one on the right. The drive shaft to the rear axle spins the rear pinion gear whenever the vehicle is moving. The AWD control module uses data from the stability control system (steering angle, wheel speed, yaw rate, etc.) to determine how much torque is distributed to the right or left rear wheel. In AWD-V mode up to 100% of the available rear axle torque (50% of the total torque) can be sent to the outside wheel to help rotate the car through a corner.

In AWD mode the torque vectoring still takes place but with less torque transferred to the outside wheel. The idea being that pushing extra torque to the outside wheel on a slippery surface may cause additional slip in that wheel and may trigger the stability control system to intervene which is not desirable.

Bottom line – AWD-V has full torque vectoring capability and AWD has minimal torque vectoring for slippery surfaces. AWD-V is designed to primarily enhance handling while AWD is designed as a traction aid on slippery surfaces."

So there you have it. Hope that clears it up.

Josh Jacquot,

I guess CX-5 uses safety oriented AWD torque distribution between rear wheels (definitely not AWD-V).

BR
Miki

Last edited:
Someone jack up the rear of their car with the e-brake off and spin a rear wheel. If you feel little to no resistance or drag, it's most likely an open rear differential.

Mazda has limited slip differential (LSD) in the rear axle....

Cheers,
Miki

Not very reassuring test from AutoBild Allrad (AWD):

"But on the dirt roads and mountain CX-5 is smooth-running and agility, and the ESP intervenes only when the food is floating away to the side.'s Just clutch, automatically connects the rear wheels when pulling away on slippery mountain roads quickly overheats and Japanese SUV for a while becomes a front-wheel drive. "

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/tiguan-cx-5-yeti-grand-vitara-vergleich-3647420.html

Have to say, I haven't experienced this - yet, and I did wrote an email to Mazda Austria about AWD system thermal efficiency, still didn't get any answer....

Cheers,
Miki

Back