$30 fix for speakers on Sport model with big payback.

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
Okay, so I wasn't happy with the sound from the muddy mid bass drivers in my Sport model just like most here. I did some extensive research and read many threads/posts here where members have upgraded various speakers ranging from 6.5" coaxial 2-ways to expensive component 6.5" speakers and larger replacement speakers for the front and rear doors and also 3.5" coaxial speakers in the dash. I visited some friends in the car stereo business and listened to a ton of different combinations in the stores. I even removed the front and rear door panels to try and get an idea of how much work was involved with changing the factory speakers. Here is what I came up with.

The front speakers are actually more like paper cone oddball 7+ inch mid bass drivers with an inner cone in the middle to enhance the high end. They're not actually that bad if you reduce the bass setting on the radio to -2 or -3. They are also super light with a small neodymium magnet to shave weight and have 25 watts printed on the back. They must be very efficient speakers to make as much bass as they do on such little power. What they needed was a boost in the upper range of the frequency band. You cannot just buy 6.5" speakers and replace the stock speakers without extensive modifications to the hole in the door or destroying the stock paper cone and mounting the 6.5" coaxial in its place. The stock speakers are built into a plastic housing that bolts to an out of round hole in the door and is sealed to the door with a gasket. Even if you did put a 6.5" driver in its place chances are they won't match the bass output of the stock speakers without buying $$$ of amplifiers and the matching components. I thought of a wood spacer to make a new 7"-8" speaker fit but with all that water in there I changed my mind and the magnets were just too big and heavy. I noticed the back of the plastic housing was wet because it was raining just before I pulled the door panel and water does get in the door through the glass gasket (normal). If I were to replace the stock speaker than it was going to have to be marine grade so it wouldn't corrode over time adding more cost. No matter how I looked at it, it was going to cost a lot of money to do this and modification to get it right.

I then looked at installing a decent set 3.5" coaxial's in the front dash and I almost went for this. I even had my hands on a nice set of JBL's for $90. The issue was that $90 was still a bit steep for me (yeah I'm cheap) and from one member who did this the speakers barely fit. He had to force one of them in because the huge magnet was up against some plastic inside the hole. I could have bought 3.5" coaxial speakers for as little as $30-$45 but those come with lesser quality semi done tweeters and its hard to find one that is efficient enough to run correctly on the factory power.

So I decided on installing some tweeters in the front dash per the recommendation of my friends at the car audio place nearby. I bought a set of Pioneer TS-T110 7/8" tweeters because they were highly rated and inexpensive at just $30 shipped to my door from Amazon. They are also very efficient with a high 92 efficiency rating so I knew they would run on the factory radio with no amps. I would have bought tweeters from my friends but they didn't have any that were inexpensive or efficient. I installed these Pioneers by drilling a 2" hole in the plastic plate that Mazda put there where there would normally be a speaker with the optional Bose system. Pioneer supplies all the hardware you need to install these speakers in that hole. The wiring was already there so I just removed a section of insulation without cutting the wire and teed in the tweeter wires making sure I had the correct polarity using my Fluke multi meter. That plastic plate was perfect for holding those tweeters. I removed the fabric from the grille and installed the dash grilles back in place. The sound upgrade is incredible! I can hear parts of my music that I couldn't hear before and the stereo separation is much improved. These tweeters are a steel for just $30. The sound is now balanced with great lows and fantastic highs.

The only other thing I think I may upgrade is the rear speakers with some coaxial Pioneers but only because I already own a pair given to me by my brother. I am now happy with the sound of the Sport system with these tweeters added and it only cost me $30 and an hour and a half of my time. Hope someone else gives this a try, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
For the month or so that I did have the stock speaker setup, the only bearable radio setup that was okay was with the bass -3. They are just dual cone speakers... no real clear lower bass nor clear highs, just okay mids. I guess if you add a amp'ed sub you should be okay with the tweaters in the dash.

If your in the Nashua NH area, I can let you listen to my setup....

I just installed the tweeters from my Polk db 6501 components but haven't put in the woofers yet. So far, a huge improvement just adding tweeters - I can't wait to get the woofers in and wire up my amp.

my speakers were pretty cheap, JL audio 2 way components were only $150 for fronts and $100 co-axials for the rears. I would go with the Polk db line or Alpines if your going to use the stock radio to power them for maybe $200 fronts and rears, not exactly breaking the bank.

Got mine for 50 each pair and like 35 for the dash...135 and well worth it. Theres no fixing the stock speakers. They are horrid.

Tried it

Hey V8, I tried your upgrade, thanks for sharing the information and tips. Hardest part for me was getting the sheathing off those wires, it seems to be made of some composite of Kevlar and tyvek and rat's fur...I cut off the weird factory plugs and crimped on spade connectors.

Did you keep or remove the component that was spliced into the Pioneer speaker wire about half way along? Hard to tell what it was from the sketchy documentation that was included, a resistor or filter or something?

Based on what I've read in this forum, it appears the negative leads on each side of the CX-5 wiring contain green (striped on one side, solid on the other); was that also your conclusion?

I can't say yet how much of an improvement, haven't listened much. My daughter is more interested in the car sound system than I am, will await her verdict.

This sounded like a good opportunity to improve the sound clarity with minimal investment of money and time, thanks again for your post.

Last edited:
Glade to see you had success. The capacitor in the wire is the crossover for the tweeter so I hope you didn't remove that. Its supposed to filter the lower frequencies out. I can't remember which wires where + or - but if you have access to a decent voltmeter that can read millivolts than you can use that to determine which wires are positive while the radio is on. If you get the + and - crossed they may cancel each other out. way to tell is if you fade all the way to the left or right and you hear them more than you have the polarity crossed. I still can't believe how much of a difference mine have made.

Another low cost option.

While the stock speakers in the door are efficient, they don't produce anything close to "tight" bass. Yes for $30 and little work you get something much better than stock, but not really anything close to what I'd call excellent sound quality.

I spent $49 including shipping for my Lanzar 8" speakers, another $20 for high density mdf and another $20 for sound deadening (car is much quieter). I did spend about 3 hours installing them. For 3 hours work and $90, I have a really excellent sound system. The stock stereo drives them easily. The bass is both tight and deep. Midrange and highs are excellent.

I did later also add the $30 speakers in the dash like you did. With such good speakers in the door, the dash speaker addition made it better, but not a lot better. It mostly added better stereo imaging which I really like.

I'm not bashing what you did or suggest. I'm just providing another fairly low cost and great sounding option to others.

Last edited:
So there's power going to those wires? Wonder how this effects the impedance if that wire on the dash is paralleled or series wired to the door speaker.

Back