2013 CX5 A Little Confusion

Fr8liner

:
2013 CX5 GT
Hello all...My first post had lots of views but no replys so I thought I would take a stab at another question..After talking to tech support from both Xpresskit and Idatalink, here is what I discovered....Xpresskit has no solution at this time for installing a bypass module along with an aftermarket remote starter. I was able to find a Bypass module from Idata for a 2013 but with one drawback...I would end up losing one of my Valet Keys(? not sure if thats the right name for it) because my cx5 has push button start...I would have to remove the Key part from the Valet key and take out the battery and it would be hard wired to the module and hidden somewhere in the vehicle. Idata assures me that this would only be temporary until a newer firmware is realeased. Several installers I spoke to told me this would be permanent. The question I have is would I be able to Install a bypass module from a 2012 CX7 or CX9, with push button start and have it work in the cx5....no having to give up one of my valey keys..Any help or suggestions would be gr8tly appreciated. Thanx for reading this

Fr8liner

Hey there, welcome!
If I can give you my 2 cents about this.. I understand you want to get the remote start because you live in Canada - totally get it. Heck I had remote start on Toyota Highlander and I'm in New Jersey. Loved it! It was the best modification I had done on that car. Now, back to your dilemma: I would not agree to involve the valet key because to me it does sound like a permanent 'fix'. Have you checked with dealer, do they do any remote start installations?
I am sorry I am not much help, and I don't know if installing the bypass module from CX7 or CX9 would solve the problem - sounds like it would since it's a similar type of start button mechanism, but I am not a mechanic. Hopefully others will chime in and give you some insight.

Thanks for the reply....I have to do some more research...hopefully mazda will adress this problem in the near future

I just had a remote start installed in my CX-5 GT this week. It's a Python brand, although there are many that are extremely similar if not the same--Python is a Directed Electronics company, any they have a bunch of brands, Python, Cobra, Clifford, etc. I also had a bluetooth module installed so I can start, lock and unlock my car from an app on my phone. The installer I used has 35 years of experience and I have used him before--and even he had some challenges (but all ended up fine). It seems there are some nuances to this 2013 CX-5 that require a little different install procedure. First off, you DO need to give up an original key fob for it to work. The installer thinks they will make a CX-5 compatible bypass module that would eliminate the need to give up a key. There is a company called IDatalink that makes a piece of the unit too, and they have some CX-5 specific programming to make it work. Installer needed to talk to Idatalink tech support and get some info, but it is all fine now. I can remote start the car, unlock the door, and the engine will continue to run. There is a "takeover" procedure to make that happen--very simple--when the car is running, unlock the door with the aftermarket remote (or the phone app) get in and step on the brake. As long as you have the key with you, it will not shut off. Hope this is helpful--Andy

just had a compustar remote starter 3000' 2way system put in my wifes touring, had to lose a fob for the process (because of the push button start, no bypass modules)

process for it is same as andyg wrote, get in, as long as other original fob is on you push break and should be able to drive away

(unfortunately something isn't quite right and you can drive away without the fob, going back in wednesday to get it corrected hopefully)

Thank you stromdriver and andyg.....I have spoken to Idatalink and they haven't a solution at this time but assure me they try and resolve these issues as fast as they can...I thought maybe the imobilizer unit on the 2013 cx5 might be the same as one of Mazdas other vehicles equiped with Push start...no such luck...they appear to be all different....No rush for the remote start so I'll patiently wait for Idatalink to find a solution...They said it may be as simple as a firmware update on one of the bypass modules and to check back on their site often.

well heard back from teh guy today, idata told him that what happened on hers is expected, if you unlock with any of the remotes it can be driven away (even without the stock fob)
so he's going to add a programming option that anytime the remote start is triggered, it automatically locks the doors (just to make sure)
supposedly, if the car is NOT unlocked with a remote, and someone attempts to drive it away, it will shut down (not sure if its on door opening or stepping on brake)
so if its remotely started, and someone slim jims the lock, or busts the window and unlocks it from inside, the system will shut down when they try to drive it

Hmm--my remote start won't work unless the doors are already locked. In order to do the "takeover", you have to use the aftermarket (in my case Python) remote to unlock the doors, or you can use the phone app, and then get in and hit the brake. All that has to be done within 45 seconds of unlocking the door, otherwise it will shut down.

Losing a key fob to get aftermarket remote start makes the cost of the factory/dealer remote start seem very reasonable. Having to replace the keyfob is probably a couple hundred dollars at least....

Back