swap my 19's for your 17's

What part of NJ? I"ll be in Allentown PA in two weeks and would love to trade. I currently have 3k miles on them.

I'm in Chester, NJ, about 1 hour 20 minutes from Allentown. I do need to mention that I don't even have the car yet. I want a GT without the 19's. My first choice would be to work a deal with the dealer and have him do the swap. Another option would be to not get the GT and just get the touring model and option it out to include as much as possible from the GT. Of course this would leave me without leather, heated seats, auto climate control. At this point I am just testing the waters to see if anyone would be interested in a swap which may influence which model I get. I would think a lot of people with 17's would be all over this. I realize I am sort of a rare bird here, not wanting the 19's. If we did do the swap I imagine we would both have to pay the dealer after that to program the new TPMS sensor ID's into the car's ECU. At least that is how it would have to be done with Subaru. I am unfamiliar with Mazda but I bet it is the same deal.

If we did do the swap I imagine we would both have to pay the dealer after that to program the new TPMS sensor ID's into the car's ECU. At least that is how it would have to be done with Subaru. I am unfamiliar with Mazda but I bet it is the same deal.

I'm pretty sure we don't have TPMS sensors. I think the ECU somehow uses the ABS sensors (etc.) to sense differences in wheel rotation speed to detect a problem.

And waves to a semi-neighbor, as I commute through Trenton, NJ every day... not far from Chester! ;)

I wanted GT+tech initially but ended up with Touring+tech+17" wheels but got the leather/heated seats as dealer install. I like it. I also think about the time when I'll need to replace the tires - 17" are more economical than 19". So it's really all about the climate controls :)

I'm pretty sure we don't have TPMS sensors. I think the ECU somehow uses the ABS sensors (etc.) to sense differences in wheel rotation speed to detect a problem.

And waves to a semi-neighbor, as I commute through Trenton, NJ every day... not far from Chester! ;)

Thanks for putting me on to this. I did a little more research and you are correct. I just assumed all new cars were using the sensors being that it is considered a better system and also newer. I have the sensor system in my wife's 2013 Subaru Outback. I had a a couple of GM products that used the system that works off the ABS sensor and they were good. It's almost as good as the sensor system but doesn't have any of the hassles associated with the sensor system. I'm glad the cx-5 has this system.

I wanted GT+tech initially but ended up with Touring+tech+17" wheels but got the leather/heated seats as dealer install. I like it. I also think about the time when I'll need to replace the tires - 17" are more economical than 19". So it's really all about the climate controls :)
Thanks for the tip. I just priced out a GT with tech and a Touring with tech plus moonroof/Bose and Sirius. This makes both cars the same except for climate control, advanced key, leather, heated seats, 19's vs 17's. It's only a $1600. price difference which is about what the aftermarket leather & heaters would cost. I think I will get the bigest bang for the buck by going for the GT and trading out the 19's. Then there's also the consideration that at trade in time the GT will be worth a little more than the touring.
Wouldn't you know it. Now I read the 2.5 engine will be out in first quarter of 2013. I may just wait a little longer.

Last edited:
Hey mpnret, no problem. Good to do research :)
My difference was about 2K (including the leather/heat for Touring) between the 2 models, and I would have to wait 3 months for GT in my color combination.. My objective was to save as much as possible so that's why 2K was kind of important.. but I do see your reasons. Good luck in your search!!

Back