Suggestions on remote starter?

tim908

:
Mazda 3 GS 2004
Hi everyone,

I am planning to put a remote starter, most likely from Canadian Tire, on my CX-5 before the winter, is it a good idea? If someone already installed one, is there any special thing I need to watch out for?

P.S. anyone knew a good installer in Greater Montreal Area?

Thanks and have a good day.

I can only answer one of your questions - is it a good idea to install remote start - I think it's a great idea. Especially since you are in a cold climate. More especially if you do not garage your car.
I used to have remote start on one of my cars when I parked the car on the outdoor lot, and I loved it. Frankly it can be used in the summer as well as in the winter. In the morning going to work it was not freezing cold... I remember i paid $200 in 2004 for it. So worth it.

I personally am not planning to put remote start only because the car is always in the garage, and during the day I don't park it outside for longer than 4-5 hours.. But everyone's daily routine is different.

My GT came with the remote starter already installed and that's how I wanted it. I don't get people complaining about the size of the transmitter or that he car shuts off when you open the door. Big deal. Get in and start it up again. I never had one that didn't need to be restarted so it's really a non-issue. I am able to start the car from inside the building before I leave work in the morning. It's going to be huge to me to get into a warm car after working an overnight shift with the car sitting out in the parking lot. Now if it would just shovel snow!

Any recommendations on an after market remote starter? Is it something a competent DIYer could do or does it need professional installation?

I had a professional installer install the Viper remote start and bluetooth module that allows my smartphone to perform some functions (lock, unlock, start, panic). One thing you should be aware of is that at this time you have to give up an original key fob for an aftermarket alarm as there is not yet a module for the CX-5 that would allow remote start without giving up the key.

Does it really make a difference about giving up one of the factory fobs? After all, the installer of the remote gives you two new fobs that replicate what the original fobs did PLUS remotely start the car. The one fob that is part of the new system could one day have a dead battery. You better know where to find it so the battery can be replaced.

I'm not going to argue with you about giving up the fob, after all, thats what I did. You may find it interesting to know that the dead battery possibility is not an issue, they actually take the battery out before hiding it--it seems it is not needed--the key somehow works through induction similar to how you can start the car with a key fob with dead battery by holding it against the start button

Thanks for your response andyg
What brand did you end up with?
Does the motor "quit" upon opening the door like some car owners claim?
Do the new remotes satisfy all the needs you have for a remote??
Thanks for your input. I have always had a remote and have yet to find the answer for the CX-5

Bob

See below in red:

What brand did you end up with? Viper with a bluetooth module that allows an app on my droid to act as a remote
Does the motor "quit" upon opening the door like some car owners claim?No, car keeps running when you open the door. You have 45 seconds from unlocking the door to get in and step on the brake, otherwise if you unlock the door and thats it, the engine will shut down after 45 seconds
Do the new remotes satisfy all the needs you have for a remote??Yes, lock, unlock, start, panic--plus I can use the app on my phone, so I dont miss the factory fob at all
Thanks for your input. I have always had a remote and have yet to find the answer for the CX-5

Actually one more question please. What Model Viper did you get and how much? I have heard that Best Buy is a good place for purchase and installation.

Last night I went to Best Buy and yes, they can install a Viper remote start BUT, I will need to have two fobs. The Mazda fob to act as a "proximity" fob that shows that it is really the right owner of the car that is attempting to start it and also the Viper fob that will remotely start the car. On approaching the running car I would need the Mazda fob with me so the car can actually be driven. Is this what YOU found to be the case?

Last edited:
Last night I went to Best Buy and yes, they can install a Viper remote start BUT, I will need to have two fobs. The Mazda fob to act as a "proximity" fob that shows that it is really the right owner of the car that is attempting to start it and also the Viper fob that will remotely start the car. On approaching the running car I would need the Mazda fob with me so the car can actually be driven. Is this what YOU found to be the case?

If you have to have one of the original fobs with you to drive the car, that would be a huge problem for a couple sharing a car. Only one of us would have a fob.

I would think you only have to have the Viper fob to drive the car. You do lose a factory fob as they install one under the hood.

Sorry for the late reply---power just came back on today. My installer (not best buy) only needed one fob to use for the install. The alarm comes with 2 Viper fobs, so even after giving up one original, I still have 3 left. Yes, you need to have a fob with you in order to actually drive the car once it has been remote started
Actually one more question please. What Model Viper did you get and how much? I have heard that Best Buy is a good place for purchase and installation.

had mine installed yesterday. factory mazda and i have both fobs and the Res fob. works fine and is nice, though woulda been better if RES fob could do what the original fob does in 1 fob. with the GT version, no big deal as in i just use the button on the door handle to unlock and get in and go. also have the car set to lock as i get fob past 8 feet or so. remote has the normal start stop function,but also can be set to start with rear defrost on( which puts on mirror and seat heaters) also has standard 10 min run time or changeable to 30 min and the 300 feet distance use. tecnition said the engine shut off at door opening is for theft protection( as in if someone had a scanner to get your code to duplicate it to drive off). i see this as unlikely but..its there so ill deal with it. maybe here in the future they may update/change that to owner choice of it on or off and maybe a new all in one fob for people who bought one before the updated type(i can dream!). all in all, nice item and works fine and i got both fobs. :)

Does the OEM remote start fob replace the original fob with the CX-5 or do you have to have both with you to operate car (one to remote start and the other as the proximity?)

Back