How to remove roof rails?

t0mt0m

:
'14 CX5 GT w Tech/AWD/2.5 Black Mica
was wondering if somebody has instructions on how to remove the roof rails on the car. I don't ever plan to use these guys and wanted to get a bit better mpg out of this thing. I have a snowboard thule snowboard rack for my Audi I throw on for the winter for my trips up to Vermont and notice at least 1 less mpg on the trip. I think overall the Mazda would benefit as well.

Im currently getting 27.3 mpg driving normally (70 highway/30 suburb) I do romp on the gas and laugh but deff don't drive super soft.

Hey fellow northern Virginian. I'm also averaging about 27-28 here (50% highway, 50 city).

Each rail has a plastic part at the front and rear.

These "snap" on and off. Just apply a little pressure.

Then you'll need to unscrew the bolts that hold them on and wha-la.

The only problem is you won't have the black plastic covers that sit in the gutters since those are cut out to fit the roof rails. I have noticed no difference in average MPG since I put them on myself and I pay close attention to the MPG. I have done about 4 months without, 2 months with. Just saying, it doesn't sound worth taking them off to me. Hope this helps.

There's also a detailed "How To" on installing the roof rails, that should help in getting them off.

thxs cody, im just gonna leave them on then

this is a lease, so gonna leave everything as it, except for the tires

Part numbers for those who don't want the roof racks and want replacement molding. KD33-50-9H0 and KD33-50-9L0

Great. $60 for new molding. I was considering a roof rack for that one time a year load up, but would not want them on all the time. For $60 I could take them on and off as needed.

Last edited:
Do all GT w/Tech come with roof rails already installed, or are they dealer removable? I'm looking to order a CX-5 but was told that the roof racks are preinstalled on GT w/Tech.

if you want to sell the rails, let me know -

New user. Took my rails off to install my Yakima system from my old Mazda 3. Brand new. Only on the car a few days before I took them off. I'll sell them if it isn't too expensive to ship (they're long and somewhat heavy).

Latest posts

Back