[HELP] Removing whole dome light fixture

dccinci

:
2013 CX-5 Sport Manual
I've purchased a PYLE overhead DVD player and am supposed to be able to mount it where the existing dome light fixture is. The first step is to remove the existing dome light fixture. I took the covers off (as you would do to replace the bulbs), I removed the button switch units by sliding them off, but then could see no obvious way to remove the plastic fixture that houses the lights from the headliner. Does anyone know how to do this?

I am expecting that once I remove the fixture in its entirety, there will be an obvious way to mount the dvd player into something metal, but not sure about that now as the light fixture appears to float in the headliner.

I've purchased a PYLE overhead DVD player and am supposed to be able to mount it where the existing dome light fixture is. The first step is to remove the existing dome light fixture. I took the covers off (as you would do to replace the bulbs), I removed the button switch units by sliding them off, but then could see no obvious way to remove the plastic fixture that houses the lights from the headliner. Does anyone know how to do this?

I am expecting that once I remove the fixture in its entirety, there will be an obvious way to mount the dvd player into something metal, but not sure about that now as the light fixture appears to float in the headliner.

It does float in the headliner. Underneath the headliner there is a retaining ring that snaps to the dome light. I think it is possible to disconnect the dome light if you look in the holes for attachment points around the perimeter of the dome light. . However to mount the DVD player you will probably have to pull the headliner.

Thanks! Very helpful. I took the light fixture out. Now, I am thinking about cutting a block of wood to fit into the dome light fixture opening and using "liquid nails" to adhere it to the metal roof so that I have a mounting platform. Seems easier than removing the whole headliner. The other idea I have is to get some very strong velcro and adhere one side to the metal roof and the other side to a block of wood that becomes the spacer as well as the mounting platform. The DVD player is only 2 lbs, so the velcro idea might not be too crazy. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Very helpful. I took the light fixture out. Now, I am thinking about cutting a block of wood to fit into the dome light fixture opening and using "liquid nails" to adhere it to the metal roof so that I have a mounting platform. Seems easier than removing the whole headliner. The other idea I have is to get some very strong velcro and adhere one side to the metal roof and the other side to a block of wood that becomes the spacer as well as the mounting platform. The DVD player is only 2 lbs, so the velcro idea might not be too crazy. Any thoughts?

Oh I don't really know. From what I remember the headliner at least a half inch or so from the metal roof. Can you push the headliner against the roof without distorting it if you want to use the Velcro method?

The thing you have to worry about is heat. The roof is going to get hot and I dont know if there are adhesives in Velcro that can stand that heat. You might want to have a chat with a local installer and see what they suggest. You can also chat with someone at Crutchfield. They have expert installers ready and willing to help.

I also have an ex-car stereo installer that works in my office. I can also ask him tomorrow what they used to do if you are interested

Last edited:
That would be great. The distance between the headliner and the roof is actually a little more than the width of a standard 2X4 stud. So using the end of a 2X4 will work fine as a spacer and mounting block. Just need to find what the best way to adhere it to the roof is.

Does anyone know the color coding of the 3 dome light wires?

Dccinci,

I talked to my guy and he said because DVD players are typically so light they let the headliner hold up the DVD player. He said they typically put a piece of plastic behind the headliner and screw the DVD play to that.

Back