I need new headrest (or mod the OEMs)

:
2013 CX-5 Sport Manual
Hey guys,
3rd day I am enjoing my CX-5 MT.

I love it!

However, my neck hates it!

I can't stand the headrest anymore. I just removed mine an hour ago.
I started look for alternatives on the net, but can not find any. In meantime, I am planing to try headrest from a few different cars, including Mazda 3, and I hope I will find one that will match my needs.

The best way will be to find a aftermarket adjustable (back/forward, like most cars in Europe are).
Worst case - bend the damn thing, before it bends my neck permanently.

Please share any thoughts. Thanks!

P.S. I keep my back position straight up, almost 90 degrees (coming from Recaro bucket seats)

Id recline the seat back slightly and it makes it very comfortable. Im sure u will get used to it in no time. The angle is for safety crash test results.

in earlier threads folks have mentioned how the european version of the cx-5 have better headrests. if anybody has a lead on this option, i'm sure many here would be interested.

i concur with you that these headrests can strain necks and need to be improved upon. whomever designed it did not take into account ladies or guys with pony tails, backwards baseball caps and other differences in drivers/owners. some makes and models of other cars have a hole in the middle of the headrest that makes this a non-issue. the concern about whiplash or whatever that lead to this north american design needs to be seriously re-thought up and changed with an existing owner's exchange program(wishful thinking).

I tried, it "kills" me. I already have problems with my neck/back from sitting on a desk all day. My back needs to be straight up.

My wife complained of this recently. I recall thinking the same but didn't find it to bothersome. For others this could be a real issue.

Has anyone tried just turning the headrest around 180 degrees?

How about replacing the front headrest with the rear?

I've not tried either of these ideas myself but there's got to be a solution.

My wife complained of this recently. I recall thinking the same but didn't find it to bothersome. For others this could be a real issue.

Has anyone tried just turning the headrest around 180 degrees?

How about replacing the front headrest with the rear?

I've not tried either of these ideas myself but there's got to be a solution.

I ve tried, turning it around but the angle is to big and it's not good that way either.

The back head rests don't fit in the front.

The front headrests shown on the USA Mazda website look identical to the UK ones. The rear ones are different though.

subaru impreza's front headrest can click into 4 positions, would love to see something similar after market

subaru impreza's front headrest can click into 4 positions, would love to see something similar after market

Do you know what year/trim ?

I saw same thing in Ford C-max hybrid. The safety was still there, since you could not push the headrest back with force (e.g., you have to move it all the way forward to release to initial position).

I will try stopping by a Subaru/Ford dealer and ask them to try to swap the headrest. Wish me good luck (boom01) .

I have tried headrest from 2 generation Mazda 3 and they fit loose - e.g. the metal poles are smaller in diameter. Othert than that, the feel a bit better but not perfect.

my wife's 2012 focus is the same way. and those are non-removable! :|
what brain dead moron designed these things so that you are forced into a head-forward slouch! grrrr

this is actually a big reason from preventing me from getting the cx-5. Id love to hear what people come up with as a solution

I know what you mean. I just tilt the seat back in recline mode it is a little better.

the stupid headrest gives me a backache every time i drive...it should be flush with the seat back not tilted forward.

0/10 for the headrest, mazda!!!

flipped the headrest and it is much better.

Last edited:
In 10K miles and 7 months I have had zero issues with the headrests (I'm 5'9" medium build, sit properly in drivers seat, with short hair my head rarely touches the headrest). I like the safety aspect/whiplash protection they provide and will not modify headrests and put my neck at risk. I used to work with somebody that had a whiplash injury that plagued her for years, not worth it.

Yes I agree. I am 6 feet tall and I can't sit up straight. I also would like to add that the headrests are so large that they obstruct the drivers view when looking out of the right side of the car backing out, etc...

I don't understand this problem. Are those of you who the headrest is infringing upon sitting bolt upright, as in a straight back chair? That I could understand. I am 6' 2" and have no problem, and I see someone on here who is 5'9" with no problem. Recline the seat a little and move it slightly forward if you want to be that close to the wheel. As for me I want to be as far away from that airbag as possible, not sitting close to it.

I also would like to add that the headrests are so large that they obstruct the drivers view when looking out of the right side of the car backing out, etc...
When there's no one in the car with me (most of the time) I keep the passenger seat adjusted forward so the seatback and headrest are in line with the B-pillar. That optimizes my view out the side windows. Learned this trick on my old '07 Frontier king cab pickup, in which I could flip the seatback down parallel with the seat cushion to get it completely out of the way. Wish Mazda had made the CX-5 seat same way!

CX5_headrest.jpg

LOL.

I don't think my head has ever touched the headrest. I slightly recline the seat and also have the entire seat slightly angled back, with the knees higher than the butt. Seems very comfortable to me. I would definitely play with the different angles available.

Back