Blue Water Temperature Dash Light

blackfin1

:
Mazda CX5
I am not sure what this Dash light is, but I think it is a Blue colored water temp light. When you start the vehicle is stays on for about 3 or so minutes before it shuts off. Well, today is stood on and did not shut off. I turned off the car and back on again and it did shut off.

My question is, does anyone know what this light is for, and why it is on for such a long time when you initially start the vehicle?

THank,s
Sal

I don't know the CX-5 but in my experience cars have that because they don't have a traditional coolant temp gauge. Blue means cold, off is normal, red is hot.

The computer idles the engine a bit a bit aggressively when you first start up in order to heat things up and burn off emissions more quickly. You may notice high rev/tach if you start the car then idle. I believe the blue temp light indicates you're not up to normal operating temp yet. Doesn't sound like a problem normally. If it stays on after several minutes, then there may indeed be a problem.

That makes sense johnhus, could it be because it was a cooler morning and the engine was not up to normal operating temperatures? After starting the vehicle, I drove about 1 mile, about 5 minutes or so and it was still showing blue? So, I panicked and shut the engine then restarted and the light shut off. I will continue to monitor it today when I use the car.

Yes, the manual explains (blue light) all of this well. Also explained is the 2 phases of red light for overheating conditions.

Driving 1 mile or 5 minutes in cooler weather, it's normal blue light is still on.

I laughed at my wife when she finally noticed this dummy light (took 8k miles Before she did), thinking it was fairly obvious. I mean afterall, they were coined dummy lights for a reason. She wasnt pleased about my laughing at her.

I laughed at my wife when she finally noticed this dummy light (took 8k miles Before she did), thinking it was fairly obvious. I mean afterall, they were coined dummy lights for a reason. She wasnt pleased about my laughing at her.

Lol, (but I will be nice), just think if it had a conventional temp gauge, no notice would be made of it.

Yup, it was a cooler morning today and mine was on for about 3-4 miles or about 7 minutes.

I checked with Mazda Norway on this issue, due to my CX5 always started with this blue indicator. Apparently its completely normal and will always show if the engine is just slightly cool. It stays on for about 2-3 mins and turns off. However if it stays on for any longer periods have it checked out. It will be interesting to see how it acts when we hit -25C around here.

Back