Is My 2008 CX-9 AWD or FWD

xmaninva

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Toruing
I just bought a used 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring. The dealer said it is AWD but how can I identify if it is truely an AWD? I can't find anything on/in the car, manual, or internet.

just crawl under the car and see if there's a drive shaft going to the rear tires,
and when you switch on the ignetion, in the AWD cars you will see a "4WD" light check in the dash

Last edited:
If you look at the Back Axle area... and there are no Driveshafts going to the back tires.. then it's FWD..

I just looked and it doesn't look like there is a rear drive shalf, but then again I am not trained. I don't see the "4WD" light in the dash.

do u have the VIN number handy, ill look up the dealer lists on the mazdastate and let u know for sure.
PM me with the vin if you dont wanna post it publicly, some people are weird like that.....

Umm, If it has NO DRIVESHAFT... then it's a FWD...

If you paid for a AWD then you need to get in touch with the dealer or shop that sold you and get some major money back.

Interesting Ceric,

However,it shows my wife's CX-7 as FWD, when in fact, it's an AWD.

Not reliable.

Hmmm... bad decoder. Find another one.
OK. the 6th digit:
2: FWD
3: AWD
This is for CX9. Not sure if that also works for CX7.

Last edited:
Hmmm... bad decoder. Find another one.
OK. the 6th digit:
2: FWD
3: AWD
This is for CX9. Not sure if that also works for CX7.

Ceric...so you have me worried for the last few days. And those few days, my wife happened to be out of town since Sunday with her CX-7. I started to wonder if maybe her CX-7 GT was in fact, NOT an AWD! Maybe the Mazda dealership lied to me or I hadn't looked at the sticker correctly. I looked high and low for her purchase and sale documents which has the sticker but no luck finding them.

This afternoon she calls me from her location 70 miles away and says her car is dead in the parking garage where it's been. She gets a jump and reports me that the TCS light is flashing along with a "little car with skid marks". So I start wondering if a car can have TCS and only be FWD???? I didn't think so. She gets home and the battery is finally recharged and I start the car and can clearly see the AWD light, TCS light and "slipping car" light up when I start the car. Still unconvinced I climb under the car and can clearly see the drive train going to the rear wheels.

At least now I feel better that I didn't get duped by the dealer and the VIN checker is not accurate or Mazda used incorrect serial#s on the CX-7.

Feeling better now..

Back